I Quit My New Job

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bonochick

Halloweenhead
Staff member
I just quit my new job about a half hour ago. My boss let me leave right after I quit because he said he wasn't going to torture me any longer.

Why did I quit? I'd been working there for almost a month, and I have yet to make a dime. I sucked at it. I sucked royally at it. Plus, I spent A LOT of money on the schooling to get my license to get this job...plus the money I had I to spend on more professional clothes and supplies and stuff. The job made me miserable, I was making no money, and it was slowly draining my savings account. I'm screwed for money now. Luckily, my dad is the most wonderful man in the world, and he said he won't let my bills go unpaid. I'm grateful for that cuz I know a lot of dads wouldn't be so nice, but I didn't want Dad to have to keep taking care of things for me. I'm 21...I want to take care of things myself now.

I feel like I failed, but Dad said it's a learning experience...I learned that I couldn't do this line of work. I'm scared though because I have nothing else lined up, and I don't know what I'm going to do.

I just couldn't stay at that job anymore. If I had been earning some money, I would have tolerated it until I could find something else...but not having any income was just too much of a drain on me, especially considering I had to keep putting money into this job.

I feel like somebody just dropped me off in the middle of nowhere, and I'm saying, "Okay...now what?"

:hug:

You didn't fail....you did the right thing...If anything you should go to the labor board and file a suit against them for not paying you.

So this job didn't work out...there are better opportunities out there for you....*cliche time* the wind from one door shutting opens another door *end of cliche*

Well, it was all commission-based, but I had been told that they'd have me making money by Week 2. We're into Week 4 now, and I just couldn't take it anymore. I mean, how long can one work without receiving any income?

I dont understand. They did not pay you an hourly rate?? You ONLY got paid if you sold something? I'm sorry but if that's the case, that job sucks.

You'll find something better. And the clothes wont go to waste because you can wear them for your next job :)

:hug:Kat:hug:

You are young and just finding your way in the world...and your Dad is right...this is a learning experience that most of us have gone through in one form or another. I don't know of many people who found their true calling at your age and most people go through several (crappy) jobs before they find one that fits.

I've worked indirectly with the insurance industry for 15 years and it sucks...burnout is common and its mentally tough to keep up the pace for years and years. You did the right thing.

Thank your Dad for being there for you and accept his help...pick yourself up and get on with life...you can pay him back later by being happy and successful...that's all a parents wants for their kids.

In time, you will find something that makes you happy and at least gives you a paycheck :)

you'll be fine :hug:

Last edited:
Yeah, there was no base pay. We were only paid if we sold a policy. Being a new agent, I got horrible leads, and nothing was panning out. I'd make hundreds of phone calls and not even get an appointment. Even when I did get an appointment, that didn't mean there would be a sale. I've only had a handful of appointments, and they either weren't home when I got there (some of these were 2 hours out of town too which really sucked), cancelled on me, or didn't buy.

Anything has to be better than that...hell, even minimum wage somewhere would be better...anything is better than $0.

Sicy said:
You'll find something better. And the clothes wont go to waste because you can wear them for your next job :)

Sicy's right. You did the right thing by quitting now instead of torturing yourself longer. I'm sure you'll find something better. :hug:

Giant Lemon said:

Sicy's right. You did the right thing by quitting now instead of torturing yourself longer.

I told my boss I felt like it would be a waste of my time and everybody else's for me to stay there because I knew that I would be quitting down the road...because there's no way I could see myself doing this for much longer. They still were spending time doing training with me...in fact, I was supposed to go away to a 2-day seminar in a couple weeks. I felt like if I knew I wasn't going to stick it out, I should quit now so they can focus their time and effort on the other new agents who are staying. With me gone, that's one more office open, which is one more phone to use for somebody else to conduct business. I didn't see how me staying there any longer (like for the period of a 2 week's notice) would benefit anybody.

BC that's a total bummer. It's bad enough paying for job related things when you ARE getting paid. I'm sure someone with your talents and personality will find something else very soon.

I also quit my job, after 7 months. It was a very different situation, but I know how frustrating it is to leave before you have accomplished what you had set out to do. :hug:

If I were you, I'd get a job as a receptionist. That was my first job, and I LOVED it. I am almost tempted to go back to it...you answer the phone, chat with people and surf the net!

Anyway, whatever you choose to do, you will be a success. And you are lucky to have such a supportive Dad too! :)

:hug: Kat :hug:

I'm glad you quit, sweetie. Now you can truly get out there and find something you'll enjoy, and thus, be good at. I did the same thing with a job I got right out of college - I quit on the second week because I hated the job, sucked at it, and they wouldnt even train me - I was on my own! It was doing billing for a large trucking company - if I fucked up, a trucker would have been out of his paycheck. This company allows the trucker to pay you a visit in your office to confront you. :no: :yikes:

You'll find something, honey. You just have to re-examine your goals, your strengths and your interests. You're really lucky your Dad is so nice - I was kicked out at 21 and had no support from any person in my family. It sucked, but it forced me to really decide what the hell I wanted to do.

I had Chinese for lunch, and my fortune said:

"May life throw you a pleasant curve."

:hmm:

:hug: BC!

I know you'll find a much better job! It's not healthy to go to a job every day that you hate going to.

Sweetie, I feel so sad for you feeling so low about this. I can't help but think this was a great thing you did, its not a sign of failure at all. The fact that you left is wonderful. You just aren't an insurance salesperson. You left something that was destroying your spirit and not paying you a cent in return for all the hard work you have put in over the last 4 weeks.
You are a people person and Mrs Edge's suggestion of reception is a good one. You also have a great love of animals. Why not try to work reception at a vet? Perhaps an animal handler if such work is available. Offer to do some volunteer work so you can get some skills. People are you, and I know you love animals. Even a pet shop. You already have a good basic knowledge of them from the menagerie you have! Enjoy the feeling you must have of being free at last from this job that was nothing but a drain on you. Its a huge relief for a reason. It wasn't right for you. There is something right out there, it's just a matter of finding it.
:hug:

Wow BC... Im sorry I haven't replied to your thread sooner! I only just now found it. But yea, what Angie said sounds like a great idea! You would be absolutely great doing reception work for a vets office... except for one thing. They don't let you take the pets home with you at the end of the night so don't even try :shifty: :hug:

BTW check your PM box :)

"It is somewhere, you just haven't found it yet."

-what my cousin said to me when I told him I was looking for a job (again). :)

Last edited:
Thanks, everybody. :hug:

My dad says I need to stop beating myself up over it. He said he'll support me no matter what I do. I was worried that he would be mad at me for quitting because I kept asking him what he'd do, and he said, "You're an adult...you make your own decisions." I said, "I know I'm an adult and can do what I want, but I still like to have your approval on things cuz I value your opinion." He ended up telling me he was glad I had quit because he didn't think the job was right for me. He said he can already see that my mood has improved since quitting, and Matt said the same thing too.

I'm just gonna keep lookin'.

Oh sweetie, I'm just getting caught up, I'm so sorry this didn't work out for you :(

But there aren't many things that are worse than dragging yourself out of bed for a job you loathe :no: I think it's better to work for a place you love or doing something you really like, than worrying about the money so much (but I know that's important too).

You dad rocks :yes:

Back
Top Bottom