I need some advice...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
blindinglights7 said:

I seem to work better late at night too. It's a good thing to stay up late for the quality of the homework, but then I don't get enough sleep. Maybe it's the motivation factor. It's late, you want to get your homework done and go to bed, so you actually work better... :hmm: But I know I should get it done early, so I can relax later, and go to bed at a decent time.

I've done that many a'time. I don't really have anything to say about it, because it would just be an extended contradiction from me, again.

It sure is a good feeling to get things done, though, isn't it? That's part of the secret. The myth of "momentum" is that once YOU get things rolling, things become easier. Or maybe it should be thought of as inertia...

Anyhow, it is good that you were so productive. :up:
I wonder..... I think I got rid of it, but I had a collage of sorts from a few years ago... but I don't know if I still have it around or not. Maybe if I find it, I'll share it here. (it was for a photo class of sorts).

As I said, a signature explanation:
*whew* this is the first time I've "explained" this one.... Well, to begin with, the lyrics. Believe it or not, those are the words of another "80's" rock band, a group called Van Halen. It's definitely an older song, but I heard it once again on the radio, and those words, which are the last part of the song, stuck in my head. I've been thinking about things like that, how things "cost" something, and also about love, etc. I liked how the song made the connection: tears (and pain, hard times, etc) are what dreams are made of. As in, the act of making a dream a reality takes work, and is often hard, and one must endure setbacks. SO in a way, tears are the price you pay. (In fact, though, the song says "save all the tears you've cried". In my own way, I see that as meaning that tears are natural, and they will be there. But once you understand what you're striving for, the tears are worth it, and you don't need to be excessively unhappy about something - just understand that it is SUPPOSED to be hard, or difficult, or trying.) It's supposed to hurt, or be painful, at least at first. "that's what dreams are made of".

And then going even further...
The song concludes with "that's what love is made of".
I've been doing a lot of thinking about love lately... Sometimes it seems like love is a dream, but I'm undecided as of yet as to if you can make it a reality. But dreams take "blood, sweat, and tears" to make come true, and love is essentially made of dreams, so.... There is a whole sort of chain there, things connected.....

As for the actual background image...
Like an image, it can be perceived from many angles. Essentially, it is an image of a person, a man. I've played around with the colors, obviously. In one light, one could say that it could in fact be either blood, or tears even, on his face. I suppose it is a rather "dramatic" shot. The character pictured has a sort of personal meaning, or representation to me, so all the more reason for me to use it. In some ways, I see that character representing a person, like myself, caught up in the conflict between dreams and reality, yet willing to sacrifice, or rather, pay the price for dreams ('blood, sweat, and tears' so to say).

additional explanations:
Also, there is a certain notion of struggling with reality itself. Part of the reason I can relate to the character pictured is due to the fact that I can be very grounded, very realistic, sometimess too serious in my perception of things. Yet also, I see it as refusing to run away from, or look away from, the truth, the facts of the matter. Despite all that, though, certain dreams are still alluring, and worth investigating, or perhaps even fighting for. Some things, perhaps, are worth the effort, worth the 'blood sweat and tears", etc.. So, be it internally or externally imposed, I guess this image represents quite a few things in my world. But a lot of it requires the personal experiences that I've had, as well as the philosophical or otherwise overanalytical perception of the story, and the character, etc, etc.

So in the end, it's still just an image.

Most of it's meaning is up to the person who is looking at it, and I've no quarrel with that. It's none of my business what anyone else sees, or takes away from it. These are just my thoughts.

Well, I guess that concludes the "explanation". I know it's a bit overkill, but I find words to be very unspecific these days, so I tend to use a lot, when describing certain things.

Thanks for reading, heh.
ANd thanks for asking about it. I suppose I do enjoy explaining things...

:)

Thanks for the explanation, For Honor...I've always found your signatures very intriguing...so it's cool that you explained this one. :)

so....I had a really bad day at school today. I don't think I got anything done...at all. I sat in religion for two hours thinking and daydreaming about things that have nothing to do with Hinduism...

It was another one of those days...that just drag on and nothing happens. I can't even say that I was distracted by my friends because I spend most of the day by myself...

If only I could be productive most of the time and not just occasionally.

Had an interesting talk about men and relationships on the way home...but it was so cold I didn't really enjoy it.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm using my class time effectively enough... I have a study hall, but hang out in the band room with 3 of my friends. We get work done when we absolutely need to, but really slack off when something doesn't have to be done right away or isn't due that day. Then I just have to do it later... procrastination. :tsk: Today in English class, we had the entire hour to read this Edgar Allan Poe story (which is very confusing), and I got so tired I really could have fallen asleep. So, instead of using my class time, I have to do it now, instead of having the time to relax. But sometimes you just can't avoid that mid-day tiredness, or at least I haven't figured out how to! If only we could have coffee in school... :sigh:

Last edited:
Yeah, there's days where I do make the most out of the time at school...like right before report card deadlines...but some days I waste soo much time it shouldn't be allowed.

But scheduled classes are worse...we literally sit there and do absolutely nothing.I think even the teachers hate scheduled classes..I'm glad we only have 4 or 5 in the whole year...

They should totally sell coffee in school....:drool: :drool: I would be wired most of the time-but I would be so much more productive...

"Would you rather live in a world where there are no restrictions on the individual "urge towards happiness" Or where there are?"

"What is an unhealthy sense of guilt? How can it be problematic?"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I finished my physics unit... :D be proud of me...I really don't like physics.

Now I can go do my philosophy work (that's what those questions are for...I just felt like posting them).

*feels good*

I would probably be a killer if I lived in a world where people had no restrictions on individual happiness........

Unhealthy sense of guilt?

Heh, I've got a case study living next door.

Heh heh heh......... sounds like an interesting class, one I would enjoy. The thing is, I always disliked mathmatics, and as a senior, didn't like science, either.

But now....... I've changed so much. Now I understand why I can use math..... They are more than arbitrary manmade numbers.... (at least they can help explain things, even when there are not words)

ANyhow..... I've discovered that you, personally, have to find your own way of learning, of developing a desire and perhaps "love" of learning. I figured it out the fall after my HS graduation. A strange time to do it, but it finally hit me.

And now......... everything is so different....

=

You're too cold to enjoy a conversation?

typical woman thing...... next time, wear warmer clothes! and coat, etc, etc. Or find other ways of keeping warm :uhoh:

( :wink: )

Oh yeah, and always have a snack ready for school. Makes a big difference... Keeps your eyes open, well, sometimes......

I have yet again wasted another hour of study hall. :| I only took my precal with me, because I didn't feel like dragging my physics book with me too. And I got my 3 problems done for precal, then did absolutely NOTHING for the rest of the hour, when I had stuff I could have been doing. It makes me mad now, but of course, at the time I didn't think about how it would affect me later. Grrrr.

Last night, I put off my homework till late, so I wouldn't have to go to this really boring planning meeting at church. :ohmy: Am I bad or what.

Now, escape into Physics homework... :drool: :drool: :drool:

I still don't get how you find escape in physics homework...I tend to escape FROM my physics homework.:wink:

For Honor...how did you develop that "love of learning"? I'm really curious about that....:hmm:

----------------------------------------------------------------------

.....i WAS wearing a coat...and no, I don't need to find other ways to keep me warm..:wink:

It usually takes me a long time to adapt to the change of seasons...I've only been living here for three years...and where I lived before..we didn't have actual seasons...so I'm still getting used to this whole concept of the weather automatically changing around the same time every year...

I don't know why I took physics...:| I only need one science credit this year...and I actually enjoy Biology. I should've taken Law...or Economics...or something like that..but WHY physics???!!!

Oh yeah...I know why....my dad..:|

hmmm... about this "love of learning"... Maybe just try to find SOMETHING you like about physics. It can be something big or little. Maybe it's just fun to say a certain formula (I happen to like Fnet = ma, it's just got a fun rhythm to it). Or maybe an overall concept, like the idea that there are forces all around us pushing and we don't even realize it. That's just cool! And I also LOVE using my calculator. It's brilliant. Then these little things will start to add up and pretty soon, you'll be loving physics. Well, maybe not loving it, but at least it will be bearable. So just find your own little quirky things. That's how I'm developing my love of learning. Of course, this little theory applies to every aspect of school.

And another thing-- go into it with a positive outlook, and you'll be surprised what a difference it makes.

Last edited:
If I survive the motion strand with an average 70-75% I'll be happy...and I wont have to think about it until the final exam.

I think our next strand is heat and energy...that sounds more appealing...is anyone familiar with it?

I love using my calculator too....but for tetris:wink:

Amen...I hate chemistry...soo glad i'm not taking it this year. I can't believe I actually considered taking the three sciences..what was I thinking? :scream:

Sometimes I think that my capacity for rational thought is limited during course-selection week. :reject: I always end up making horrible decisions...

I pretty much just go with what I have to take, then from there take classes that I want to... of course, I had to take Honors Chem for academic honors :angry: I really had to try to pull A's in that...

So... have your homework done? :wink:

Mostly.....got math out of the way. :)

Now working on English...but I have no problem with that because it IS one of my best subjects...and I'm really looking forward to a discussion i'm having with my teacher tomorrow. :D

.....are YOU done your homework??:wink:

Chem was fun! I had a really good teacher, and I could relate to him. A lot of other students didn't like him, but I was always glad to be in chem. *flashback to chem class..... I remember the people, the settings, the teacher, etc. I vividly remember it. That's odd*

ABout the love for learning..... As cliche as this is, I think it finally hit me - I began to see the interconnectedness of all things.

I try to fit things into my web of knowledge, and it grows. But I also realize that it has something to do with my personality type.

More so than learning to love learning, I think it is just important to figure out HOW to learn. If I am really to learn something, and I'm sure this is at least typical for most, I need to thourougly understand the concept and how it works within the system. It may take more effort that way, but for me, I think that's how I have to do it.

Most learning is about effort.

The trouble with effort is that....... sometimes you don't feel like it.
So to some extent, it's still a matter of focus, and mind control. :shrug:

Those are just passing thoughts, though. I don't think that I gave much of an answer.

========

I LOVE, and when I say this, I mean LOVE in the greatest sense of the word. Yes, I suppose I would marry this: I love the change of seasons. ESPECIALLY changint into winter.

I don't know what itis about it.........

I'm trying to withhold on the Holiday tunes, but I'm cheating a little - I've slipped some holiday/wintery piano music into a playlist of mine, and, in fact, I'm listening to it right now......

There's something about winter, though, that absolutley fasciniates me.

The hollidays, the snow, the cold, how people act, how nature acts, all of it.

But I think I'd like it less if it was winter all the time. That's why I like the change of seasons.......

Anyhow....

It is finally getting to be really crisp here. No snow yet, but maybe soon. It's still October, so, I guess I shouldn't jump the gun.....

(although I might :hyper: )

I'm pretty sure I have all my homework done :wink:

I'm so excited! Over 55 posts! It's not really that big of a milestone, but i'm still excited, because I pretty much posted everything this month! :hyper:

Well, I better get offline. I've been tying up the phone line for hours! Sweet Dreams (of physics:wink: )! Have a good night!

hahahaha congrats on your 55th post!

Good night...and no, I will not have physics dreams..:wink:

Hahahaha the thought of marrying the change of seasons....i find that amusing.

It's getting really cold here...too cold...but I AM looking forward to the snow...:hyper:

And christmas!!! I LOVE CHRISTMAS!!! :hyper:

but I don't think I would marry christmas..:wink:

:hmm: marrying the change of seasons......

:hmm: :hmm: ....... "A Man For All Seasons" ... now that is something I should enjoy, at least if my username is to have any meaning....

I guess I like women that like the seasons. Too many people "hate winter" around here, and it's totally not cool. SOme people find it very depressing :shrug:

You don't have to marry christmas. Just be merry, and go easy on the eggnog :uhoh: (hmm... I was going to keep going with that one, but I better not)

==

Physics..... I liked the class. But the atmosphere always got in the way. The people in my class... I just really didn't get along with most of them, so it was awkward in that regard.

I'd appreciate it so much more now...

(part of the reason I wanted to wait until January to go to college was that I KNEW that I would be drooling for schoolwork at that point.) But now, as I said, I see the usefulness in learning different things.

One more thing about christmas... I was just given the OK to stary playing holiday music....

I guess it's early, but..... Well.......... maybe I'll start anyway......

:hyper:

I had a philosophy forum and we were discussing something about a journey...a journey that we all make individually...but also the journey of the human kind...to embrace the creative energy of the universe.....

it was something like that....it made me think of this journey you're in...

I think i'll get back to that lately....I need some food...

------------------------------------------------------------------

My philosophy teacher said that I had to present my collage to the class...:reject: :scream: :help:....I can't do that....it's too personal...

I suppose that is one thing that I don't quite understand yet - how some people find things are too personal, and private.

I mean, some things you don't want to tell other people, and I respect intimacy a great deal.

But I have to be extra careful about ... subjects like privacy, etc, because I don't regularly confront them in everyday life - I'm a reserved person, but ... I guess I'm open about many things :shrug:

the journey of humankind.... sounds interesting.

(food is good :up: )
I'll be eating brownies in c. 20 mins

Brownies....:drool: :drool: :drool:

I'm a very private person....I guess I'm more open here than I am in person...but how can I talk about MYSELF to a group of people I barely know? :scream:

I just worked on my physics unit for 1 hour. :)
And I have a discussion with my english teacher tomorrow...that'll be interesting. :hmm:

Uh oh.... english teacher discussions........
Will it be good, or will it be bad?

1 hour of physics gets a :up:

=======

As for groups of people... I guess when it comes to those I don't know, I tend to distance myself, be more reserved. It's funny. I guess it has to do with comfort levels as for how much I can talk easily with someone.

Well, so if you think the collage is too personal to share then I guess you did a pretty good job. You were supposed to make it personal and reveal things about yourself in it, right? :wink: As far as presenting it, not really sure what to tell you, except just be prepared and be open. This assignment is probably meant to make you examine yourself, take risks, and be a little uncomfortable. Take a risk- be open- and something good may come of it. I am in no way telling you to give away your deepest and darkest secrets, but do stretch your limits a little. Just my opinion though... do with it what you want. I'm a pretty open person depending on who I'm around. I've actually been pretty open lately. It's liberaring in a way. And sometimes a lot of good can come from being open.

Well, I will definitely be putting off my homework this weekend (no school tomorrow- fall break!). I broke my finger tonight at winterguard practice, so I pretty much can't write. I've been typing this for 15 minutes when it should be taking 5!

An hour of physics! Two thumbs up! :up: :up:

Last edited:
I feel for you LemonChick! I'm in your same boat--probably in an even more precarious situation! If I were honest with myself, I'd probably acknowledge to myself that I'm suffering from some form of adult ADD; i most definitely fit the criteria growing up! In school, it was literally a miracle if managed to hand an assignment in on time. Thank God I had accomodating teachers, because, somehow, I managed to graduate at the top of my class in spite of everything.

I'm presently attempting to complete a degree, not only suffering from ADD (or at least demonstrating symptoms), but also while being married, juggling a household, caring for two young kids and--did i mention--caring for two young kids? ;) It certainly ain't easy, but i'm doing my best to pull through.

The best advice i can give you is to break assignments into small, managable tasks, set respective deadlines and, more importantly, keep to those deadlines.

Wow....I don't know how I would manage in a situation like yours...It's something I admire...

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm really sorry about your finger, April....that must suck. Hope it heals soon..

Fall break?? You get a fall break?? I want a fall break!! that's not fair.....
:madspit:

I didn't have that discussion with my english teacher today...but I'll probably have it on monday. It's a good discussion, though....we're discussing The Handmaid's Tale.

I'm not a very open person...even around people I know, I tend to be rather quiet....and around people I don't know...I'm extremely shy ...:reject:

Shyness is something you can overcome... believe me! I work at that all the time, and pretty soon it becomes fairly nautral to be open...

So do you have any idea yet about how you're going to present your collage? Are there any other requirements besides just getting up there and saying something?

If you are uncomfrotable talking........ use questions.

QUestion people in the audience. DOn't expect much of a reply, unless you know someone who always has something to say.... but it is usually good to incorperate discussion, and if you can do it to buy yourself time or just to ....... well.... nevermind.

and it's not just about what you say, but how you say it, too.

Ah, but that's not so important.
Just do your thing.

It's just a moment, it's time will pass.
Don't be disporportionate

Definitely putting off my english homework right now. I really would like to go to bed, but I know I can't until I finish. I feel really guilty now... I probably could have been done an hour ago. But I don't feel like it!!! Sometimes I just wanna say SCREW IT!

Sorry... I got a little over emotional there. But I absolutely hate busy work. And our literature books. Why do they always pick the dumbest stories??? Do they think we learn anything from them? Pretty sure we don't. This is why I procrastinate. Because I don't like my homework... but I have to do it and do it well so I don't regret it later. I've got more procrastination/school related stuff to rant about later, but as for now I need to finish my work and get some sleep. Off to do some english... :huh:

Yaaaaay it's Halloween!! :hyper:

Had a good day at school today...didn't do much work...but that's okay cuz it's halloween. :D

But I did have that discussion with my english teacher...it was....interesting. I mean, we did have a good discussion...but he was dressed up...and was wearing a long black wig...and had white pasty makeup all over his face...IT WAS SO DISTRACTING!:mad:

I mean...there we were...discussing Margaret Atwood's criticism on different institutions of society...me dressed up as a hippie..and him dressed up as someone from Macbeth (I haven't read the book yet, so I don't know who he was supposed to be), and my other friend dressed like a Japanese doll...or something like that...

I laughed a couple of times....because the whole situation was a bit funny...but he seemed okay with it...and I think I got a good mark.

I get to work the door and hand out the candy today...I always give more candy to the cute little toddlers dressed like Pumpkins...they're sooo cute!

I love chocolate! :hyper:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom