I haven't felt inspired

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ABEL

An Angel In Devil's Shoes
I am an artist. But I haven't really painted or sketched anything in almost two years. I was in a car accident about two years ago and since then I haven't painted or sketched much at all. I broke my right hand (and I am right handed) in the car accident (it wasn't a serious car accident), and I guess since then, painting and drawing just hasn't felt the same. I still have the ability, I have sketched once or twice with a friend at her house, who is also an artist. But other than that I haven't done any artwork on my own. I used to paint and draw all the time.

I work as a graphic designer/typesetter, so at least I get to use my creativity on the computer, and I love desing work, but it's not the same thing as sitting down with a paint brush or pastels, or watercolor or a pencil. I guess I just haven't felt inspired to paint or draw for some reason, is the only way I can describe it.

I'm not sure if it's just because my hand feels differently now--even my hand writing feels different (my hand doesn't have the same strength it used to), or because of what's going on now in the world...or perhaps because I spend too much time here, lol :shrug:

Last edited:
Do you think it really is your hand? Thats a genuine question. I'm not trying to be a smartass and post some cryptic analysis of your frame of mind lol.

Are you still compelled to?

I used to paint an awful lot. I absolutely adore painting more than anything else in this world. For some reason I just stopped. I still very much want to and feel the need to every so often. But for some reason I dont. I will work out my problem one day. Hope you do too ABEL.

ABEL said:
I'm not sure if it's just because my hand feels differently now--even my hand writing feels different (my hand doesn't have the same strength it used to), or because of what's going on now in the world...or perhaps because I spend too much time here, lol :shrug:

Angela, I'm not really sure what it is, I only know that I haven't painted since I broke my hand in the car accident.

ABEL i got a hair cut :) Its sad when sad tings happen

aaaw maybe u should try a little drawing/ painting each night- u might get the urge to paint back???

Have you considered a change of scenery? Even if it's only a day or weekend trip to somewhere not far from where you live--say, an hour or two-hour drive--that might help to shake you up a bit. It seems to help me when I'm stuck in a, um, moment.

paxetaurora said:
Have you considered a change of scenery? Even if it's only a day or weekend trip to somewhere not far from where you live--say, an hour or two-hour drive--that might help to shake you up a bit. It seems to help me when I'm stuck in a, um, moment.

I have actually taken several trips/vacations (including going out of town to see U2 :lol:) in the past 2 years...is this a 2 year moment I'm stuck in? :scratch:

anyway, I am going on vacation at the end of my month to my cousin's wedding, but I don't think that will help either :shrug: :slant:

Hey Abel! I'm an artist too! How has your lifestyle changed since the accident? Do you still feel any trauma from it cause it may effect desire to create by HAND. For me, ever since I've been dancing and working more I've done much artwork on paper or computer. I think it's because my mind is occupied with other things and the energy is taken away. It's become a chore to grab a pencil and sketch something.

Think about some of these things and find out were your stress lies...maybe you need a change of medium? Just a thought.

take care abel...:D

It sounds like you're just bored with the medium. Try visiting an art museum or some local galleries to find some inspiration. Maybe you will reconnect with what made you love to paint in the first place. :)

I'm not an artist, but I do love writing, and can relate, ABEL.

Ever since I could remember, I've loved writing stories, poems, etc. I did it all the time when I was younger, loving it whenever our class had an assignment to write stories or papers. Then, when I was around 18, I just stopped. The only writing I did was in my journal (kept one every year for the past 16 years), and in a small book where I wrote down, but never fully realized, story ideas.

Then, an ex inspired me to pick the pen back up, and ever since then I've written something almost every week in some context for the past three years.

Maybe what would help would be a change of scenery, or maybe a nudge from a caring friend or family member? Maybe all it'll take will be taking a walk in the country and seeing a beautiful sunset to get the juices flowing again. You never know.

Good luck! :)

From a design magazine:

Day 1 Collect things that make you laugh or think harder. You could look at comic strips, postcard ads, business cards, websites etc and keep them for future inspiration.
Day 2 Play 'What If'. Think of the most outlandish scenarios. For eg, what if paper were outlawed? The more ridiculous situation, the better.
Day 3 Buy three magazines you normally wouldn't. How does each magazine visually tackle its subject mattter? How do they aesthetically connect with their audiences? What does each do differently?
Day 4 Stand on your desk and see your studio from a new perspective.
Day 5 Get out. Drive, walk, run, bike. Do anything that takes you somewhere new and then explore your surroundings. Go to the beach, the red light district in your city (preferably during the day to make it safer!), the countryside.
Day 6 Take a long bath/shower or, if you don't wish to waste water, just lie on your bed to relax your mind and see what ideas you get.
Day 7 Choose five random materials and make something out of them. You could use them to express how you feel at that moment, or simply explore the properties of each material.
Day 8 Go to your local art gallery or private galleries. You know how sometimes you listen to music and thereafter feel compelled to play your guitar? That's the energy of the artwork being transferred to you. Other people call it inspiration :)
Day 9 Dedicate 15 mins to completing a free-association exercise. In the middle of a piece of paper (get a large piece if possible), write down one word, any word. For five minutes, write down anything that comes to mind with that word and branch off from there. Are there new connections you missed before?
Day 10 Create themes for your work week. Celebrate each day, whether it's Bad Food Friday or Movie Madness Monday. Your themes could even be incorporated into the subjects of the e-mails you send out on that day.
Day 11 Start a story and pass it around the studio with each person adding a line before she passes it on. At the end of the week, call a brief staff meeting and read the tale aloud. This game can also be played with drawing: simply fold a piece of paper into three sections. The first person to draw at the top of the page has to leave two tail-end lines of their drawings for the next person to continue from. After the third person completes the picture, unfold the paper and see the resulting picture.
Day 12 Have a "no regrets" day where you try something new and unfamiliar without regretting anything you did that day.
Day 13 "There is no doubt that creativity is the most important human resource of all. Without creativity, there would be no progress, and we would be forever repeating the same patterns." ~ Edward de Bono.
Day 14 Allot 15 minutes for drawing or writing without distraction. No idea or concept is bad. Do not judge, analyze or stop what your'e doing until the 15 minutes are up.
Day 15 Sing. Loudly.
Day 16. "Be culturally literate because if you don't have any understanding of the world you live in and the culture you live in, you're not going to be able to express anything to anybody else.
Day 17 Make up a story about three people you encounter during your day, be it the bakery owner or the person next to you on the bus.
Day 18 Read a book.
Day 19 Try cooking something bold. Find a challenging recipe in an old cookbook, your mothers recipe file or on the web.
Day 20 Go to a concert, pub gig, see a play, check out a local exhibit or lecture.
Day 21 "Eliminate something superfluous from your life. Break a habit. Do something that makes you feel insecure." ~ Piero Ferrucci, psychologist.
Day 22 Learn three new things about each person you work with today. Ask them about their lives. How many siblings do they have? What's their favourite food or childhood memory? If they were a superhero, who would they be?
Day 23 Challenge your creativity. Using only supplies you have in the studio, create a new office decoration. Can you make a lamp with what you find? What about a new picture frame or bookend?
Day 24 Play a creative game like Cranium or Thinkblot.
Day 25 "The brain is a wonderful organ; it starts the moment you get up in the morning and does not stop until you get to the office." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson. Break your work routine. Rearrange your daily schedule to do everything backward.
Day 26 Design an apple 20 different ways. Only one rule stands: don't impose characteristics or images upon the apple; re-create it.
Day 27 "Creativity requires a sandbox larger than ink on paper." ~ Clement Mok, AIGA president
Day 28 Build a creativity kit. It could be a basket with random objects in it (toys, silly putty, blank paper, paper clips, soft wires) to relax your brain while you brainstorm.
Day 29 Declare today Design Day. Turn off your phones, pagers and computers and cozy up with a good CD, hot MILO and lots of art supplies. Then design, draw and create to your heart's content.
Day 30 "Each time you experience the new, you become receptive to something different, you let the universe know you're listening. Trust your instincts. Respect your creative urges. If you are willing to step out in faith and take a leap in the dark, you will discover that your choices are authentic. What is more, you will discover that your life is all that it was mean to be." ~ Sarah Ban Breathbach, author.
----------

me.

ok, so you've done a few sketches, but nothing big like painting or pastels, right? maybe it's psychological....like deep down you aren't sure you can do it anymore....maybe not.....

just my $0.02

daafish said:
Hey Abel! I'm an artist too! How has your lifestyle changed since the accident? Do you still feel any trauma from it cause it may effect desire to create by HAND. For me, ever since I've been dancing and working more I've done much artwork on paper or computer. I think it's because my mind is occupied with other things and the energy is taken away. It's become a chore to grab a pencil and sketch something.

Think about some of these things and find out were your stress lies...maybe you need a change of medium? Just a thought.

take care abel...:D

Perhaps it is stress or being pre-occupied, I'm pretty sure it's not being tired with the medium as some have said. I don't have any trauma from the accident, but I have had a few other health problems (i.e. hyperthyroid) crop up that I also found out I had after I was in the accident. Not serious health problems, but just enough to add the extra stress. :shrug: Also, when I get home from work I'm so tired that I don't feel like doing anything. I remember a few years ago, when I'd come home from work, I didn't even feel like turning on the computer (that was before I found Interference :eeklaugh:)...so just like that passed, and I'm on the computer all the time now, hopefully I'll be able to get back to painting as well. :yes:

Last edited:
Maybe you could use the accident for inspiration? I know that sounds wierd and twisted but it might help.

Back
Top Bottom