I have to work through this but it's killing me.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wolfeden

Refugee
calm down, cold resides with me. I flee to decembe
warning, major frustration/pity party/vent-fest.

Right. So here I am, closer to 40 than to 20, got my degree, got my license, got almost 10 years experience being an EMT. I love my work. So does my brother who is also an EMT. For someone with a temperament like ours it's one of the only jobs we can stand doing... a peculiar mix of ADD and service-mindedness, I guess. 8 hours a day at a desk or in a cube would drive us both berserk.

I've worked just about every job you can come up with - food service, office, veterinary, construction, retail/management (never EVER again, gah), supermarket overnight shelf stocker, child care for pete's sake. EMS is the only work that makes me feel alive, interested, useful.

I was all set to go into training to become a Paramedic, had the application filled out and the recommendations from my supervisors written and sent.

Then it happened.

Sitting at a dead stop in traffic, in my dad's little Saturn that I'd borrowed for the day (in place of my work truck), I got rear-ended by someone, driving a loaded cargo van, who wasn't paying attention.

I don't remember a lot about the accident now, I remember the airbags did not go off but the car alarm did, and the burning hot poker of pain that shot up my neck and down into my back. I sort of remember being loaded into an ambulance and saying "I'm usually the one doing this job, not the one being carried off..." and I'm told I kept calling the tech who was working on me "Sir" as I did with any superior tech I worked with, though he told me not to.

My hands go numb now after a few minutes of any kind of finite work, even just holding a cup of coffee. I take a daily regime of advanced anti-inflammatories and muscle relaxers just to be able to turn my head. If the neck spasm gets past the Flexeril, blinding migraines ensue, several times a month. My lifting power is gone - I used to be ableto deadlift 150 lbs as a requirement for my job. I'm lucky now not to drop my 45-lb daughter lifting her in and out of the car, shopping carts, etc. My short-term memory is badly damaged from my brain sloshing in my head so hard - I have to stop in the middle of conversations and ask "what was I just saying?".

Bills mount in the meantime, and while I do have a legal team working on this for me, these things take time.

I feel like I'm failing everybody - my family, myself, the people I am trained to serve.

Your mindset is common for persons in your line of work....you see, you tell yourself, I'm not supposed to get hurt! You can't get hurt because you have no time for it; how can I get hurt now, I have a family to run and work to do.

Unfortunately, we DO get hurt...I was a cop for 18 years; I was bullet proof, I'd been through fights, wrecks, smoke inhalation, tear gas inhalation and it was one motorcycle crash too many...but we're NOT supposed to get hurt....

Wolfden, we DO get hurt; I am not a psychologist but I can testify from your point of view that I experienced the same feelings, physically and emotional...you'll feel better soon and you will be able to do all those things you did before and better...for me, I accepted the retirement, 18 years was enough... best wishes...Mr. BAW

You are not failing anyone. There is no chance that anyone who does what you choose to do as a profession, fails other people. Not a single chance.

I have had a hard time with some career decisions I have made recently and I really started beating myself up about it a lot. Mainly because I should be doing something in medicine originally and now I am having to start all over. This book (Feeling Good : The New Mood Therapy by Dr. David Burns) really helped me out. Maybe worth a quick read.

What about a job in the Emergency Room as a TECH or something of that nature for now? You would still be doing a lot of the same things you did as an EMT, but maybe not as physically demanding. Might be something to look at for now until you figure out what you plan to do next?

Last edited:
Are you able to afford a rehabilitation provider? Someone who can assess you injuries and determine what is temporary and what is not and advise career options or a return to work programme?

Tis best if you start on something asap. I know yours is not a workers compensation claim but the general rule in the compo industry is if you cant get them back to some kind of work within 10 weeks, you have lost them. So get that there butt a wiggling. :wink:

The fact that its worrying you is a good sign. If you were one of our compo claims you would be considered to have a good prognosis :up:

:hug:

Last edited:
TheBrazilianFly said:
What are you going to do about the guy who hit you? Are you going to sue him or something?

Not him directly, but the insurer of the company vehicle he was driving...
If there's any comfort at all to take from it, it's that however the legal foo pans out, he won't be put out on the street or anything, the judgement will be against the insurance policy. I don't think I could go through with it if it was only going to make someone else's life hell along with mine.

Were you wearing your seat belt?
Had the seat belt on. Had nifty diagonal bruise down my chest from it. Trouble is it doesn't stop your neck from whipping.

beli said:
Are you able to afford a rehabilitation provider? Someone who can assess you injuries and determine what is temporary and what is not and advise career options or a return to work programme?

Have been, when I can afford it.. a neurologist who specializes in head injury, physical therapy and chiro, and undergoing rehab testing for the brain injury to determine exactly what I've lost permanently and what can be regained through remedial services.
The most disconcerting part is the memory and attention business... once I get through that, they'll be able to tell me what I'm able to do in the future. :yes:

Sorry to hear about such a devasting injury. Have you thought about dispatching? That's what I do and while I'm not out in the field there is a lot of job satisfaction and we are always looking for good people.

beli said:
Oh, sorry, I didnt mean physical rehab. I meant someone who can assess your injuries and advise of suitable employment.

Yea that's going on as well...
I'm still in the stages of being tested, seeing how many IQ points i lost or whatever =\
once that's done they are going to size up what I've got left and what I might be able to do for work within my chosen professions, or whether I have to go in a new direction completely....

in theory the legal suit is supposed to cover the expenses I'll have in learning a new trade or extending what I already know....

kind of a frightening spot to be in.

This reminds me - I can be the most careful driver in the world, but if other people are careless or not paying attention, it may not matter how good of a driver you are, as your situation shows. I'm so sorry you are having to deal with this, I'm praying for your full recovery :hug:

wolfeden said:
kind of a frightening spot to be in.

I can only imagine. I have seen workers compensation people come in and have to completely change their career. The ones that take it the hardest are the gardeners and security guards and other manual type people who love working outside.

Dont loose hope. We have had success placing these kinds of people in jobs like fire extinguisher audits - so they get to walk around a bit. Chef is another one, again, no sitting in a cubicle there. And interior design. Or the actual painting itself?

And as Fah said you can still work in emergency services, and feel like you are making a positive contribution to the planet - just in a different job.

Keep your chin up. Keep yourself busy and it will all be over before you know it.

In re-reading your post, I find that you were fortunate that the other driver was apparently insured; had your accident happened in Los Angeles County, chances are 50/50 you would have been struck by an Uninsured motorist. thanks for your kind words in your pm

Mr. BAW

Back
Top Bottom