i have that sinking feeling...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cell

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
a couple of months ago i worked for this guy who owned a carpet cleaning business. it wasn't exactly the type of work situation most people don't do. i worked "under the table." now before you go and start flaming me for doing this, most of you know that i have a hard time looking for jobs at all. i needed to make money for myself and daisy. my intentions were to put food on the table for myself and my daughter. well for a couple of weeks in september he started becoming less of a human being and telling me that he was gonna pay me on certain days which never came. for three days in a row he told me he was on his way to pay me. each time an hour has passed he would turn off his cell phone and i would have no way of reaching him. on september 20th i quit. i then threatened to take him to the labor board. he left me a message on my voicemail that i would get into trouble because of how he paid me. i plan on filing my taxes at the end of this year. he doesnt owe me that much, just less than $500.00. but he didnt want to pay me anyways. i worked for those hours, i have records of working for him...the only thing is...i have only one check he paid me with. the rest of the time he paid me cash and the other half was checks made out to cash. i have everything else though. the labor board sent me a letter informing me of my court date for this matter. its on january 12th. if he loses, he could end up owing me $2000.00 because of the penalties he would be fined for not paying me. i refuse to be intimidated by people like him.

my ex boss called me today. he wanted to give me less of what he owed me. i said no. he owes me more than what he's wanted to settle for. i told him i would see him in court in january. he started raising his voice to me saying i have no proof of working for him and he just tried to really intimidate me. i was calm and i just kept saying 'thats fine.' i dont even know how i managed to get the words out. sometimes i do get intimidated by people like him. sometimes i wonder if i'm doing the right thing. and then, sometimes i wonder if i'll win this case. or it could be worse, the labor board could just take one look at my proof of employment and laugh me out of the court room. i have that sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach. i feel kind of small right now. its just been one of those weeks. first my email account is compromised and now this. i need something good to happen to me just about now. i need something positive.

im not asking for anyone to feel bad for me. i did get myself into this situation after all. but i was desperate. sometimes its always the little people who get screwed. i have to believe that i'll come out on top.

Don't feel bad for trying to feed your daughter Icelle. Jobs are hard to come by and you did what you had to do. Don't be scared about going through with this...if you did the work, you deserve to be paid. A labor board hearing isn't as scary as it sounds...its not in a regular courtroom with a bunch of people, its more like a conference room. Everyone sits at a big table with a referee who will let you give all of your evidence and facts and then your former employer can do the same. Don't be afraid... just go in and fight for what he owes you.

:hug:

I think it is fair that you are getting what he owes you back!

Go Icelle!! :)

The labor board typically sides with the employee - their function is primarily to protect employee rights. Your ex-employer has more to lose - failure to pay wages on a timely basis exposes the employer to fines and penalties.

Don't worry about filing the complaint. Go get him!!

nbcrusader said:
Your ex-employer has more to lose - failure to pay wages on a timely basis exposes the employer to fines and penalties.

Don't worry about filing the complaint. Go get him!!

I can only imagine that he would also get in a ton of trouble for even hiring someone "under the table." Right away this smells of him hiding something... such as avoiding taxes, labor laws, etc. Although I do not know much about this, I don't believe this guy has even a leg to stand on. Go kick his arse Icelle!

They're all right Icelle. This guy will get all he deserves. No more no less. If he gets audited by the tax dept for being such an arse, it is not your fault.
:hug:

i am sooo gonna win!

oh my god, my bank came thru for me! they mailed me copies of all the checks he ever wrote to me even the ones that were made out to cash! he is sooooo going down!

'scuse me while i do my happy dance:dance:

thanks for your encouragement it everyone means alot to me!:heart: :hug:

Back
Top Bottom