I have a sneaking suspicion..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hinder

Acrobat
that i have Bipolar Disorder..not the more extreme type, but the one that kind of resembles being taken over by a cranky two year old and an eighty year old catatonic - sometimes at once.

However, going about getting this diagnosed will likely be difficult, unless the doctor will sit still and listen to me..

Are you having problems with your doctor? If so, you should shop around until you find one you feel comfortable with and would listen to you.

I have in the past, which makes me chary of doctors now.
But then, it was always these old as hell men whose brains are apt to explode if you disagree with them, so that has to be taken into consideration.

Mmm, know what you mean. But don't give up. It took me a few tries until I found someone who was sympathetic towards my social anxiety problems. It was tough, but it was worth it.

Hinder said:

However, going about getting this diagnosed will likely be difficult, unless the doctor will sit still and listen to me..

I know exactly what you mean...some doctors out there are way better than others. I've encountered some real jerks. If you go to a doctor that you don't have a good feeling about, get a second opinion elsewhere. Getting diagnosed properly is the first step towards successful treatment.

:hug:

If its anyhting like it is over here..........they will probably try and diagnose you with Depression first........as that is wide reaching and generally the easiest diagnosis. after 15 yrs of trying....i finally got a narrowed down diagnosis, which kinda pisses me off coz 15 yrs of my life have been wasted i feel

OMG Bonochick is so right....it makes all the difference in the world AND in your diagnosis to feel comfortable and confidant with your doctor. If you don't feel completely relaxed and trusting with them then keep getting other opinions until you find the right one you click with. Trust me, you will KNOW when you find the right match:wink: I've been there, tho not regarding bi-polar disorder, so wish you lots of luck.

I'm actually fairly sure this is the case for me, because I go through these weird cycles where the only thing that keeps me from going unhinged is this one desk clerk that treats me like his little sister - and PLEBA. Can't forget about PLEBA. Depression is /so/ isolating. And the last social worker I talked with thought it might be seasonal affective disorder. Which doesn't fit the MO, you know? Bipolar /does/, though. Not that I want it to, but it's kind of a neon sign going, "You might want to consider it..."

Hinder said:

You're in Chicago......I'm not sure if this doctor has anything closer than Naperville, but I know of a really great one that helped my husband with this same situation. He's a very nice doctor who sat down and took his time and talked and listened to everything my husband had to say. He's great at getting the diagnosis right away. The meds he put him on where the right ones the first time. that may be a fluke.

either way, let me know if you need the name and number. You can pm me through here.

:hug: I know sort of what you're going through. It's not easy.

Re: Re: I have a sneaking suspicion..

Bonochick said:

I know exactly what you mean...some doctors out there are way better than others. I've encountered some real jerks. If you go to a doctor that you don't have a good feeling about, get a second opinion elsewhere. Getting diagnosed properly is the first step towards successful treatment.

amen

Last edited:
gman said:
If its anyhting like it is over here..........they will probably try and diagnose you with Depression first........as that is wide reaching and generally the easiest diagnosis. after 15 yrs of trying....i finally got a narrowed down diagnosis, which kinda pisses me off coz 15 yrs of my life have been wasted i feel

:(

lotta horror stories like that.............

stimga is still strong............

and truely it is a science and an art to properly diagnose a person.

Re: Re: I have a sneaking suspicion..

Hinder said:
Bipolar Disorder..not the more extreme type, but the one that kind of resembles being taken over by a cranky two year old and an eighty year old catatonic - sometimes at once.

There are degrees of bipolar disorder: Bipolar I, Bipolar II and hypomania are the three main ones.

And as has been said in this thread, bipolar is often misdiagnosed as depression -- because people usually/willingly go to the doctor when they're in the depressed state.

A good psychiatrist will listen to you. So will a good counselor. It may take some time and trial and error to find them.

Originally posted by dazzled by light
truely it is a science and an art to properly diagnose a person.

... but it can be done. My best wishes to you. :hug:

Back
Top Bottom