I have a phobia about going to the dentist

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tiny dancer

Blue Crack Distributor
I had an appointment today for a check up, and was quite nervous about going like I always am. It gets to the point that I make myself sick in my stomach. I haven't had a cavity in ages, but my last visit I had to have a filling replace, and I nearly hit the ceiling. I can't stand any kind of pain. Does anyone else have this problem? :uhoh:

I love going to the dentist! Free toothbrush! Lectures on flossing! Creepy scraping noises!

I had braces for 3 years, man were my teeth fucked up before that, then the year I after I got those off I had my wisdom teeth out. Dentist don't scare me anymore:|

No I went to the dentist on sat for a filling didnt get an inkection and the drilling wasnt sore...for like a second it was uncomfortable but it was like someone puled my tooth

It didnt bother me at all

And when I get injections they dont hurt

:shrug:

Its like going to the hairdressers except your getting your teeth fixed I dont mind it i like reading the magazines

:reject: I am a HUGE baby when I comes to the dentist. I had an appointment on Friday to have my very first cavity ever in my life filled and I almost walked out before they even called me in. My heart starts pounding and my palms get sweaty...I'm a freak :lol:

I apparently have a really high tolerance for the numbing medication and it took 6 syringes to make me comfortable enough to keep drilling. By the time I left, I was drooling and the entire right side of my face was paralyzed...my husband kept making me talk so he could laugh at me :der:

I also had a deep cleaning on the right side...I go back for the left side tonight. Everyone told me that would the worst part but I didn't feel a thing. I'm still a little nervous about going back but not as bad as I was Friday.

They're also telling me that I need my wisdom teeth removed...they don't bother me at all but the dentist seems to think its strange that I still have them all at 36 and highly recommends that I yank them out. :no:

i was to go to the dentist two weeks ago.

on my way over they called to tell me their power was out and they couldn't see me.

i couldn't believe they didn't have back up power.

I went to the dentist for the second time in my life last month. I hadn't gone for a long time, cuz I was scared, and they charge an arm and a leg... but It's okay now. They said I had two cavities, and they filled them on at a time. The first one was horrible, I ended up crying before they even touched me, and I shook through the entire appointment. The second one went much better though :)

Good luck :)

Amigone said:
I went to the dentist for the second time in my life last month. I hadn't gone for a long time, cuz I was scared, and they charge an arm and a leg... but It's okay now. They said I had two cavities, and they filled them on at a time. The first one was horrible, I ended up crying before they even touched me, and I shook through the entire appointment. The second one went much better though :)

Good luck :)

:ohmy: Now I don't feel so bad! I worried myself into a full blown anxiety attack in the chair last night...the dentist thought I was having a reaction to the lydocaine :reject:

I felt so stupid because a 9 year old girl was having a root canal in the room across from me and didn't make a sound :eek:

I think I have a phobia with going to the Dentist!! I haven't gone in such a long time that I know I need to go!! But I really freak out!! I hate it, I hate it, I hate it!!! I thought I was the only 27 year old baby in the world. But I must go sometime soon. (as you can tell I'm still procrastinating!) :drool: :drool:

I like going to the dentist. :reject: I'm obsessed with oral hygeine. I had my wisdom teeth pulled last Thursday and was awake during the whole thing, and it didn't bother me at all (even though I wasn't quite fully numb for a little bit at the beginning). I have a high pain threshold, I guess. :shrug:

I don't like going to the eye doctor. The air puffing thing scares the hell out of me and they always have to do it 500 times because I blink so much.

I :heart: my dentist :yes:

It's only taken him about 10 years to get me to the point where I don't cry at some point during my visit (horrible experiences with a dentist in my younger years). And believe me, I always get quite a bit of work done when I'm there, it seems like I have so many fillings, I don't know how I even have room for any more cavities :uhoh:

I'd say be honest and tell them that you are really nervous, they probably have lots of things that they are willing to do to try to help, but may not offer to everyone that comes through the office. :)

I took my youngest son to the dentist yesterday...phew! Not too costly. I would love to go to the dentist...but it looks like I'm going to silverchair, not the dentsit chair. I get very nervous about going to the dentist.....very. But each time the reality of it has never been as bad as I imagined, even getting the nasty old teeth of wisdom out.
I'm with lara about the magazines. I had a good read yesterday...usually learn something in a scan through a Cleo.

meegannie said:

I don't like going to the eye doctor. The air puffing thing scares the hell out of me and they always have to do it 500 times because I blink so much.

LOL that's the glaucoma test. I had an eye exam two months ago and I could not sit still for that thing. Finally the lady said, "OK, forget it" and gave up. :der: :laugh:

i'm not afraid of the dentist. i never have been. it's gotten to the point now where the only thing i don't like is the gyno, for understandable reasons.

BUT anyway...the last filling i got was like, at least five years ago. they did the goo shiznit on my tooth and gum, then gave me the novocaine. well they didn't wait long enough after that and i kinda felt them drilling and stuff! oh well, the pain went away.

i was nervous when i went to my oral surgeon for my wisdom teeth, but only because i'd never been put under before. i knew about the remote risks of going :coocoo: when you wake up or never waking up. luckily i was fine. :D

the one thing that irks me though is when i go to the optomotrist. i have glaucoma in my right eye yet they still insist on testing me. why?! it's like "well miss katie, it looks like you have glaucoma in your right eye." "OMG!!! for 19 years i've known this and you're just now telling me?!" :laugh: sorry. i've only gotten the eye drop one. that is one of the two right? they either put the drops in or do the air puff? i've never had the air puff but my mom has.

the one thing that keeps me calm when i go to any doctor is when they tell me what's happening. like when i got my toe surgeries done years ago, my podiatrist told me about the weird feelings of the novocaine, how the third needle feels like it goes in one end and out the other - it's true! had he not told me, i probably would've freaked and jerked my foot. i also like to have someone else (my mom or husband) in the room with me so if i'm uncomfortable or in pain i can squeeze their hand, look at them to distract myself, whatever.

sometimes i get a little overdramatic so my husband will give me a little extra tlc afterwards and buy me lunch. j/k, i'd actually never do something like that.

I go every 6 months

And they have a radio

And I dont dribble with injections and I like not getting injections cus it doesnt hurt

Its fun

and they let me drink mouthwash at the end!!!

Back
Top Bottom