I hate the Olympics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
it is commercial. very commercial.

but at it's core, if you enjoy the sports it is one of the greatest events. hockey for instance has been great in spite of some minor referee problems-though the russians will tell you something else
wink.gif

Originally posted by kobayashi:

but at it's core, if you enjoy the sports it is one of the greatest events

Well, put it this way. I hate the olympics passionately, but I love the World Championships of most sports. Athletics, Swimming, Snow-skiing.... etc.

There's too much "gushing" for me to enjoy the sport aspect of most things in the Olympics.

At the end of the day, it's the media coverage rather than the participants the ruin it for me.

All the "new" Apollo Anton Ohno (Ohyes, three names = gay) fans prolly never heard of him 4 weeks ago.
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by RufusYoungblood (edited 02-22-2002).]

careful there, rufus. Even if I luv ya, I may have to come over and kick your aussie arse.
tongue.gif

I love the Olympics, especially the Winter Games. Unfortunately, these ones have been marred by scandal after scandal. But the athletic performances have been really amazing. I've seen some great stuff in the last two weeks (including that upset by your man in short-track). A young Swiss kid coming from nowhere to win 2 straight gold medals in ski-jump. A photo-finish between the Norwegians and the Italians in cross-country relay. The first African-American from our country to win a Winter Olympics gold. Jeff Shea being the first 3rd-generation Olympian and pulling ahead in the skeleton race in the last turn to win gold. A fabulous figure skating upset in the women's competition last night. A speed skater with mono having the race of her life. Not to mention that Aussie woman who came from nowhere to win the gold in the aerials. Yeah, it's been a great Games.
biggrin.gif

p.s. Oh and just because Apolo Ohno is referred to by three names doesn't mean that the kid doesn't have wings on his feet. Have you watched him skate?
eek.gif
And the Olympics is full of new "fans"...it's only a 2 week competition...nothing new there.
wink.gif

All good points Sula, but I have to sit through the excrable Bob Costas to see that stuff. In a few months, I'll be able to watch world cup skiing on some obscure TV station that JUST shows the skiing.

I'm glad I get to see new sports that are not usually on television in prime time - like long and short track speed skating and skeleton.

I'm kinda with you on the dance skate stuff - overly dramatized! Much like many of the other over-commercialized sports I love though.

ahh see, but SOME of us don't have the cash to pay for extra channels. We are stuck with whatever is shown on network television...thus the Olympics is quite nice because we actually get to see some sports other than boring football, basketball, or baseball.
tongue.gif

btw, Bob Costas cracks me up. His deadpan thing is much funnier than boring Greg Gumbel.

Poor ppl stuck with Network TV..... *argh* - Ok, so that's the only way you see different stuff, so be it. Enjoy it while it last I guess.
smile.gif

on a related note, I was stuck in a Hotel last weekend, so I was kinda forced to watch some Olympics, and I caught that Aussie dude winning his semi, then the final, both because everyone fell down in front of him. In fact, in the final, he was WAY last when everyone fell down. Kinda somes up Australia for me: they try really hard, but only get somewhere if the actual good countries step aside. (ouch)

Homer Simpson: "My two favourite words: Dee-fault, dee-fault".
wink.gif

oh come on rufe!
turn off your gateway, kick off your nikes, take off your seiko and grab a cold coke to sit and enjoy some sport
wink.gif

I haven't been watching the Olympics, but I really respect those people that work so hard and have so much talent. For that reason, I think the Olympics are great because they get a chance to showcase their efforts and talent and really have some intense competition.

------------------
"Hallelujah, Heaven's white rose,
The doors you open...I just can't close..."

Originally posted by kobayashi:
1. sula

2. me

3. zoney

lots of other people(that's why they have them and they are, in turn, 'so' commercial

+ screaming flower

Originally posted by zonelistener:
Hmmmm, not sure if this list adds credibility to anything!

Yeah, you're right. Maybe if we took your name off the list that would solve the problem.

Originally posted by RufusYoungblood:

...I caught that Aussie dude winning his semi, then the final, both because everyone fell down in front of him. In fact, in the final, he was WAY last when everyone fell down. Kinda somes up Australia for me: they try really hard, but only get somewhere if the actual good countries step aside. (ouch)

I'm happy to bits for him. Sometimes it's not who's the best overall, bu who's the best at that moment. That was him. The rest fell. *sigh* Plus, you had a girl who legitimately won aerials, remember?

Koybesan, plz add me to the "Who cares abou the Olympics" list!

Originally posted by The_Sweetest_Thing:
I'm happy to bits for him. Sometimes it's not who's the best overall, bu who's the best at that moment. That was him. The rest fell. *sigh* Plus, you had a girl who legitimately won aerials, remember?

Koybesan, plz add me to the "Who cares abou the Olympics" list!

added. and i guess i can do wanderer and angel too as our hockey debate rages on
smile.gif

I found them really boring. It may be interesting to see new sports. But if the first moment of curiosity is over: *yawn*

------------------
Take the money and run

Originally posted by RufusYoungblood:
Kinda somes up Australia for me: they try really hard, but only get somewhere if the actual good countries step aside. (ouch)

Great Aussie attitude there mate. Maybe you should watch the summer Olympics instead of the Winter.

Back
Top Bottom