i hate music journalists and associated wannabes...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gareth brown

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
there's a confession.

despite having an interest in perhaps going into journalism if not a musician, i honestly get sick and tired when i read crap like 'The song is so haunting!' and 'The emotion hidden deep within the lyrics reaches boiling point' etc.

it's not clever, it's been done a thousand times before and to top it off rarely describes the music in question, anyway!

the only thing worse than such writing is when people on forums start trying to use phrases like that to make themselves look really clever and thoughtful but end up looking like a complete tit when they start saying an incredibly uplifting, happy song unlike any other in a band's catalogue is 'Haunting' or 'Eerie'.

Well you can always do what someone did last night, and, as someone was driving by, shouted "BITE MY BALLS!", heh.

====

I, too, have a problem with.. fakeness in that fashion. Here's to finding a good way to vent that unhappiness :up:

My main problem with music journos is that most of them think they are more prolific and better and important than they are. Here in NYC it's extra obnoxious b/c everyone's a hipster journo critic and no one is original or genuinely nice for that matter. :|

I write a fair amount of music/entertainment stuff for the newspaper I work at. I don't write reviews per se, but I sometimes interview musicians who are going to be performing here so I can do stories in advance of concerts. I even go to concerts sometimes and do stories (just describing the little bit of the show I'm able to see before rushing back to the office to make the 10 p.m. deadline and quoting fans).

It's very difficult to write about music without resorting to cliches. Whoever first uttered the famous saying "Writing about music is like dancing about architecture" was right on the money. I just try to sound like I know what I'm talking about without sounding too pretentious, and make it about the artist, not about me.

artists and journalists are in a love-hate relationship.. at least from the viewpoint of artists i think.

love because publicity sells records. hate because musicians (especially when they get bad reviews) think criticians are losers who just haven´t succeeded in the music biz and therefore make their money by picking on others.

Bono's shades said:
Whoever first uttered the famous saying "Writing about music is like dancing about architecture" was right on the money.

according to my own personal favorite "associated wannabe" it was elvis costello.

Back
Top Bottom