I hate how St. Patrick's Day is celebrated

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Headache in a Suitcase said:
and there's nothing to say one can't celebrate his/her heritage

:shrug:

Indeed....people should CELEBRATE their heritage...not make a mockery of it by wearing goffy green derbys and drinking GREEN beer and eating luck charms. These things have NOTHING to do with Irish Heritage. People do not realize that they are not celebrating their heritage, they are making complete asses of themselves while they celebrate what American Culture and media has told them what their Irish Heritage is all about.

:down:

I totally agree with zoney. I think in Ireland St. Patrick's Day is a religious holiday, celebrated much like Thanksgiving is in the states, at home with family and food. I've never understood the American version.

joyfulgirl said:
I totally agree with zoney. I think in Ireland St. Patrick's Day is a religious holiday, celebrated much like Thanksgiving is in the states, at home with family and food. I've never understood the American version.

Most people dont really do much, some people go to mass, some people go out drinking mostly the students, in Belfast anyway there were riots last night, in Dublin its a bit more lively except most of the people in the street parade are apparently american bands.

rejected-4.jpg

went to church, hopped on the train to manhattan, had a few pints in penn station, went to the parade, went to the emerald society party, went to flannery's pub and loaded the juke box up with u2 and van morisson songs, went home and had corn beef and cabage...

thus be how i celebrated my st. patty's day... no plastic green hats, no green beer, no lucky charms... but still a heck of a day (that took a good 2 days to recover from... whew)

We made corned beef and cabbage at home and had a few friends over. They brought Irish soda bread and dessert. We played Irish music on the cd player. We partook in a couple pints of Guinness or Harp. This has been an annual event for 3 or 4 years now. I love it. It is a nice excuse to have a small dinner party.

(I also love bagpipes.) :cool:

with my current music taste, st patrick's day just means that there's some dropkick murphys shows in boston and i better be able to get my lame ass to one of them. sure you could call that cheesy or gimmicky, but they don't haul out kegs of green beer at the bar or anything. if it weren't for al barr's random "happy st. patty's day week, folks" once between songs, there was really no way of knowing what time of year it was. no plastic hats (although i will admit to wearing one for all of 5 seconds just to piss my sister off. only 5 seconds though, cos that's all it took for her to smash it. she could have atleast taken the thing off my head before doing so...) or anything. read some DKM stuff and you'll figure out that they're not all about 'oh i'm irish *chugs guinness* happy st patty's daaaaaayyyy' or whatever the fuck.

i also went to another thing on saturday, but that was just a lot of guinness and good music. again, it might as well have been the scottish festival in westfield (except not nearly as big) in the middle of the summer.

maybe you'll find a random pogues song on the radio, but that's the day when my cds stay in the cases...i don't need anyone telling me i'm being stupid and i'm not irish. i know i'm not from ireland.

Back
Top Bottom