I hate "Friends"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seabird

War Child
with 2 kids in high school they tell her that she
I feel this belongs here because of my shame. I HATE and LOATHE this show with a green and purple passion and I always have. I can't stand the characters, the dialogue, or the storyline. I am always sick, annoyed or both within the first few minutes and I turn it off. WHY is it so popular? I know guys like the girls and girls like the guys. Matthew Perry and Matt LeBlanc were cute when they were younger but not anymore, and I wouldn't tolerate the show even if they were. Schwimmer looks like freaking Adam Sandler. Would somebody please explain the appeal of this show to me? Why do so many love it and call it 'must see TV?' Am I alone in this, or are there others who fail to see the value of this show?

I like the reruns from the early days, but the show losts its appeal to me probably four or five years ago. I'll still catch the occassional episode (can't remember the last time I saw a new one so it's been quite a while), but I usually end up getting too annoyed at Ross and Phoebe and I stop watching.

when people mention it as one of the best shows of all time it makes me want to puke

Eeeew I totally hate friends too! How could anyone write a show with such positively moronic characters? Such people could not function at all in the real world- aaagh I hate them so much!

theSoulfulMofo said:
i don't like seinfeld. :reject:

:bow:

A kindred.

I completely fail to understand the appeal of either of these shows. Friends is like getting a root canal done without anasthetic and Seinfeld is...ugh.

I used to hate Friends, but have grown to like it. I don't like any of the characters on it (except maybe Phoebe), though, because they're all so one-dimensional. I cannot stand Ross. :mad: He looks like a monkey because he always makes that stupid face....and Joey always walks around with his chest shoved out. :madspit:

I used to never miss an episode, but the last few years they kinda lost me. I've watched a lot of it this season, though, with it being their last, but I agree that it can be annoying at times. Especially Rachel and her whole princess routine, and Ross and his whining... :banghead:

And for all of you hating on Seinfeld... :shame: :sexywink:

I liked it the first few years it was on. It was clever and funny.
I don't remember at what point I stopped--somewhere around the umpteenth Ross and Rachel break-up? Now it's just stuck in this immature limbo--rather like most of the people who *worship* it, I think. :shrug:

I loved Seinfeld though. That was one of the funniest shows on t.v...

i never was really into the friends show...i know several of my friends (no pun intended :wink: ) were always like "oh! friends is on!". i never saw what the big deal was. i wouldn't say i hated the show (mainly because i haven't seen enough of it to know if i hate it), i just never had any interest in it.

occassionally i watch one of the old reruns on late nite tv when there's nothing else on and think it's kinda funny, but i never go out of my way to watch it.

Ah yes, 'Friends'. To correctly share my feelings on that tv show, I quote a bit from the tv show 'South Park'.

In this episode of South Park, Cartman has lost his sense of humor. He goes to his school counselor, Mr. Mackey, for guidance/help to get his sense of humor back. Mr Mackey makes this FANTASTIC statement to him:

"Well, if you have no sense of humor you can always get a job becoming a writer for 'Friends'"

Truth, thy name is South Park.

I never found any of the characters interesting or likeable or any of the stuff they said and did entertaining. I like the theme song a lot but after that I have to switch the channels. It's just not my type of thing, no offense to anyone who likes it. My brother and his wife who are both yuppies have every single episode of Friends and Seinfeld on tape, and have even used tapes I loaned them to tape over my stuff with their episodes :mad: I have seen them myself in their shelves with my writing marked out and relabeled with one of those shows. :scream: No need to complain, they're always 'right' so there's no need to bother. But I won't be loaning them anything else! They are U2 fans, but my sister in law traded the Elevation Boston DVD I got her for Christmas last year for a Friends DVD :banghead:

Seinfeld had some good ideas but it's not something I could sit and watch a lot of. Friends is worse.

Kind of on lateral topic, they also went to see Seinfeld in 'concert.' They paid $75 a ticket which I think is insane for a simple show by a comedian. Now for a rock band that's even a little high, but look at all the stuff they haul around, the stage setup, instruments, etc., and the roadies, staff and entourage they have to pay- plus several people in the band too. What a rip-off. He must have quite a following among yuppies who don't mind throwing money around.

yes! i hate friends, mad about you, and seinfeld. those three (and thank god the last two are cancelled and friends is in its last season!) are just about a bunch of yuppies sitting around going "omigor, we're rich and we live in new york!! hey, let's go get a cappuccino, because everyone in new york drinks coffee! and then we'll sit around in our penthouse because of course we'd manage to be so insanely rich! there's no poor people in new york!"

i used to like will and grace too but that's progressed into the same type of plotline. except -- get this -- the two guys are gay! and they're not involved with each other! and then there's grace's husband, played by harry connick, junior, who's never been around since after they got married. now it's just a bunch of "lol grace lives in manhattan which is SO far away" jokes.

basically, i don't like any of the sitcoms on these days. :down:

:laugh: KR. Very good description. I guess I just can't relate to the young(though they aren't that young anymore, most of the actors are my age-34- or older) and hip and rich and bored in the big city thing :yawn: But I don't like any of them or any episode. I forgot about Mad About You, that sucked too. Don't forget Dharma and Greg! I don't like hardly any newer sitcom anymore. I shudder to think how Friends is gonna mulitply now that it's cancelled, it'll be like one of those shows that goes into syndication and is on every channel every day :scream:

Last edited:
Yeah I've only gotten into friends recently cos my fiance loves the show and makes me watch it everyday. My favourite is Joey and Phoebe. Everybody else is just bleh. I agree the older episodes are better.

I HATE Seinfeld! I think it's the dumbest show.

i guess friends isn't held with the same regard, as say, radiohead around these parts... :wink:

the show's funny, it's not smart in anyway, i'll watch it if i have absolutely nothing else to do, but i'll never go out of my way to make sure i'm around to see it... unlike i did for seinfeld, and still do for the simpsons and CSI:.

U2Kitten said:
Don't forget Dharma and Greg! I don't like hardly any newer sitcom anymore.

I loved Dharma and Greg. :lol:

I used to live in an apartment where the only cable tv stations you could get were news, sports and paramount comedy. :huh: And Dharma and Greg was about the only vaguely amusing show on Paramount so I used to watch it obsessively. Probably just an excuse not to spend time studying. :D

Back
Top Bottom