I had the strangest, most uncomforting dream

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Danospano

Refugee
It's 3:30am and I'm awake. That, by itself is not too strange, but the reason isn't the usual insomnia...I had a very lucid dream concerning one of my biggest fears: the end of the world.

Has anyone ever had a dream where the end was near, yet you were the only person to know? It freaked me out, and has left me wide awake halfway through my sleep-cycle.

It went like this: I'm in Wal-mart, shopping for who knows what, when I realize that I've gone back in time. It like I've been given a second chance to change the fate of humanity, but I'm powerless. I'm looked upon as a crazed, religious zealot, who is spurting out lies. I start freaking-out as I stand in the check-out lane, because the cashier is just rolling her eyes.

I attempt to use reverse psychology, by telling her in a calm, straightforward manner, but nothing seems to work.

Apparently, in the near future (4-10 hours) a scenerio similar to that of Terminator 3 is going to take place; nuclear war will destroy all but a few thousand people who were hidden beneath the surface of the earth. I haven't seen this movie since last summer, so it was weird to dream about it now.

So, nobody will listen to me. Somehow, it turns out Wal-Mart has a shelter underneath front of the store and I end up down there with several of my friends, ex-lovers, and strangers. I don't know where my friends and ex-lovers came from, but they're down there. Harrison Ford also turns up as the hero of the story. after the nuclear fall-out, he's the one who wedges open the massive, 10 ton steel door that separates us from the devastation.

When he finally gets it open, we all step out to find everything the way it was. There wasn't any destruction, yet the whole store and neighboring parking lots are completely empty. What do we do? Raid the store, of course!! (LOL)...That's when we realize everything in Wal-mart is crap and nobody wants anything.

For lack of any reason at all we stumble upon an internet station, which resembles the computer section of a local library. We all get online and start instant messaging people. find out most of the world was destroyed with the exception of a few select cities. It turns out my parents home town is still in tack, but I can't reach them. This frightens me, so I run out to get in my car, planning to drive the hour to my parents home.

As I head for the car I get stop by my old girlfriend and she tells me they're all going to our old hang-out, bar. I go-along with the idea, but just then I realize they all have cars. I ask, "Why are we all driving together, when it would make more sense to drive serparately?" They just start laughing.

We get in the car, but then I dude I know from the distant past walks by the car and begins to revel an embarassing tid-bit that shouldn't be mentioned in front of my friends. I give him the shush sign with my finger to the mouth, and he obliges...continues to walk away.

----So, that's basically the dream. I doubt I made it sound as nefarious as I intended, but it really freaked me out.

I just had to share it in the hopes that someone might be able to explain the symbolism.

Now....back to insomnia.

:ohmy:

That's a pretty heavy dream. I'm not one for interpreting them though, so I don't think I could explain any symbolism. The only thing that stuck out was

We get in the car, but then I dude I know from the distant past walks by the car and begins to revel an embarassing tid-bit that shouldn't be mentioned in front of my friends. I give him the shush sign with my finger to the mouth, and he obliges...continues to walk away.

I remember in Sunday School once a long time ago and we were talking about the apocolypse and someone said that people would shout our secrets from the rooftops.... unless I dreamed that :shrug: haha I don't know

I had a dream about the end of the world once.... I was at the beach near my school with some kids in one of my classes and I looked out over the ocean and saw fighter planes heading towards us in the distance, and I saw bombs dropping from them and I remember getting this horrible panicked feeling and then the bombs hit and we were all running away and... ugh it gives me the chills just thinking about it :yikes:

Do you ever have dreams that make you down or scared or depressed for a day or two? Last week, I dreamed I was shot twice point blank by a guy who was robbing the house I was house-sitting (in the dream). He locked me in a room that had a computer and I was able to go online. I didn't feel any pain b/c of the shock and I was trying to stop the bleeding and IM my boyfriend what happened. I knew I had only a short time before my lungs filled w/ blood and I would basically drown... :(

I too worry about the fate of humanity whenever I look at the folks inside Wal-Mart.

I had a really bad dream about a week ago. I drempt that I was in downtown DC and the building next to where we were got blown up by the planes flying into it :( Then our building shook and the windows crashed and all this flying debris started flying in. We hid under a desk until we had to evacuate the building :( I didn't like that dream at all

I had a very vivid dream when I was about 10ish.Jesus was very real to me back then, I tried to live by his principles. It took place in my hometown which has a freshwater lake ( well it used to be fresh, now it's polluted with blue-green algae)
Anyway, in the dream there was a real sense of foreboding and it being the end. A large crowd was gathering at the lake, people were crying and cowering in fear. Jesus appeared on the pontoon in the lake and said "enough, you have punished yourself with your own guilt and your fear. It's over, go back and live your lives"

It was very vivid and has stayed with me for years.
I also had a dream a few years ago about 2 planes crashing into that lake and burning trees falling from the sky and another one about being in a market and feeling fear in a place that I now think might have been Afghanistan. If I see anything else coming...I'll let you know.

I really wish I could lucid dream...I dreamt Bono was in the bath the other night and all I did was hold the door shut for him...I shoulda hopped in eh?

not making light of your feelings dano...dreams can really shake you up.I can't interpret yours.Sweet ones are the best.

perhaps the dream simply means that Wal-Mart is crap, and the source of all evil in the world :wink: :p

Between the ages of like 13 to 18, I had dreams of being caught naked in public...walking down the sidewalk with no clothes... :der:

another occassional dream was always getting home from school and our house was empty...mom, dad. doozer...all gone :confused:

when I was a cop, I would dream that I was chasing someone on foot but I couldn't move...like my legs were dragging the ground and felt like a ton apiece....

last worst dream is when I would fire my gun and the bullet would like barely clear the barrel and fall to the ground....weirdo!!! :eek:

Mr. BAW said:
last worst dream is when I would fire my gun and the bullet would like barely clear the barrel and fall to the ground....weirdo!!! :eek:

Paging Dr. Freud! :wink:

There's so much fear in all your dreams! Dreaming is our subconscious's way of dealing with and processessing stuff that concerns us whether we know it or not. They can be symbolic, or a straight playing out of an anxious situation. Stuff from the waking world can encroach on our dreams, eg. I had this one where a number would appear in my mind's eye and my foot would be squeezed that number of times. I woke up to find my cat biting that foot!

The end of the world theme is quite common in the human psyche. It's in movies, art, literature, and dreams. I've dreamed about the end of the world, or Armageddon, but it's always been different how I imagined it! Anyway, it's in the collective human psyche, cuz it's something that's gunna happen eventually- sounds trippy, but look at where the world is heading!

my dreams are usually me sitting in the living room watching television

and that's it

it is a sad and depressing life when you think about it though

Back
Top Bottom