I got pissed off at Bono earlier

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UV2001

War Child
Well ok I've been pissed off about the Pop hair (or lack of it) and his attitude during Pop but today I was mad at him for being an idealist. I don't know what was wrong but I was sat listening to Peace on Earth and other stuff and thought what use is singing about wanting peace and all that because it's never going to happen because of human nature. Instantly I felt really guilty for thinking that. I myself am an idealist but for some reason this morning I got pissed of by Bono and his idealist ways
frown.gif
it really upset me that I could ever even think that. I don't now and feel very guilty and regret thinking it
frown.gif

Ok this might not seem like a big deal to alot of you but to me it is. It's not that I got pissed off at Bono. It's WHY I got pissed off at him. I need help/advice

I don't think I'm much good in the way of help or advice, but I've felt like that before although not specifically towards U2.

I think sometimes we have to let ourselves believe that the world really can be a better place. We have to believe that there can be a world in which nobody goes hungry, nobody is without a home, where children have the right to an education, where there are doctors and hospitals to treat the sick, where we don't resort to violence to solve conflicts, where people live side by side and respect one another no matter what their race, religion, sexuality, gender or political beliefs, where people feel a responsibility to people around them and believe that we are all equal and that we're stronger when we work together than when we divide into factions and fight against one another.

I guess I proved I'm an idealist as well.

But I think what I'm trying to say is that we have to believe that possible. We have to believe we can change things, not all at once, but gradually we can make a positive difference. If we start believing we can't do that, if we think it's just human nature to fight or to be selfish, and we can't change that, so there's no point even trying. Isn't that the most depressing thought ever? Yeah it's depressing when you look at everything wrong in the world and think about how it should be, how it could be. But it's even more depressing if you start to believe that this is the way it's always going to be. And maybe that's why we get angry with idealism sometimes - because it reminds us that it doesn't have to be like this and we get angry that it is still like this. So maybe the point in thinking idealistically or singing idealistic songs is that sometimes we need a reminder that those idealistic visions could become a reality.

And I honestly wouldn't feel guilty for being angry with U2. Just imagine that you were able to tell them what you thought when you were listening to Peace on Earth. Would they be pissed off that you were angry? Or just glad that their music brought such strong emotions to you? Isn't the whole purpose of music to communicate with people, share ideas, create responses, emotions? I think it is. And if listening to a U2 song made you think about your own beliefs or emotions, then I think that's a positive thing.

See, told ya I wasn't any good with advice
wink.gif

*Fizz

Thanks
smile.gif
That really helped. I am back to my usual idealistic self now
smile.gif
I only felt guilt because I was mad at Bono for sharing my beliefs that for a couple of mins I for whatever reason stopped believing. It is the most depressing thing in the world to just give up hope and think it's never going to change so why bother. I have never felt that way before and didn't think I could. I think it was just the fact that I worked out I could because I did that really scared me and knocked me back into being an idealist. maybe it happened to get a better understanding of those who are not idealists so I can understand how they feel and think and tell them not to give up on the world. If we don't give up on the world the world won't give up on us
smile.gif

You were probably just pissed about it never happening. Then it becomes this "why the fuck do you keep asking for it when it will NEVER happen?" I do that too. But I get over it & move on.

P.S Never feel guilty about being pissed at Bono, chances are that's all he wanted to do was get a rise out of you. Don't you ever do things to make people angry? He's made you think and that's a good thing.

------------------
It's the puppets that pull the strings.

*You're very kind. Most people laugh when they see my googly eye.*

+fabulous+

The Edge, it's a direct object.

UV2001, I think if you take a carefull look at the lyrics to POE you'll find that Bono shares some of your frustrations. Dead and buried, "That's peace on earth." It's actually a rather bleak song.

MAP

Originally posted by Lilly:
You were probably just pissed about it never happening. Then it becomes this "why the fuck do you keep asking for it when it will NEVER happen?" I do that too. But I get over it & move on.

P.S Never feel guilty about being pissed at Bono, chances are that's all he wanted to do was get a rise out of you. Don't you ever do things to make people angry? He's made you think and that's a good thing.

Thanks
smile.gif
I didn't feel guilty about being mad at him though. It was what I was mad at him for I felt guilty about. I for a couple of minutes gave up my beliefs and got mad at him for having the same beliefs that I had a few seconds before. They came straight back and that was when the guilt came. I don't feel guilty anymore. It probably was despair. There is nothing I want more than peace for the world and an end to suffering and the thought that it's never gona happen just came into my head and Bono singing about wanting it to happen just really pissed me off. I've remembered the line "I can't change the world but I can change the world in me" I don't have guilt and it just maybe re-affirmed my beliefs. Maybe they just needed shaking up a little
smile.gif

Back
Top Bottom