I Got Broadsided On My Way Home From Work

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bonochick

Halloweenhead
Staff member
I was driving home from work today, and I saw a van stopping at a stop sign before crossing the street I was driving down. However, after the van stopped, it proceeded on through...and I realized it was going to hit me. I slammed on the brakes and laid on the horn and tried to swerve, but there was no avoiding it. She slammed right into my driver's side door. I lost control of my car...went up a curb...mowed down a stop sign...and was going right for a huge tree. I jerked the wheel to avoid the tree, smashed into a chainlink fence, and finally stopped when I hit a garage.

I wish I could say I was very cool about the whole situation...but I was beyond hysterical and in a lot of pain. There was glass everywhere...even in my mouth and up my nose. I removed one piece of glass from my nose, and blood began running down.

The girl who hit me was completely unapologetic, merely saying, "I didn't see you." :mad: A girl who witnessed everything was a lot more helpful and called 911.

They had to use the jaws of life to get my door opened to get me out. My poor, beautiful, wonderful car that I loved so dearly is a wreck. :sad:

My boyfriend took me to the emergency room for x-rays (I didn't want to go in the ambulance). Luckily, nothing was broken...just a lot of bruising and cuts.

I'm in so much pain...and now I have no car. I did absolutely nothing wrong, and yet I got screwed. :sad:

Finding humor in the situation though...because we all need a laugh...well, except for me, because that makes my ribs hurt:

1. The song I was listening to when I was hit was Vanilla Ice's "Ice, Ice Baby". When people approached me as I was screaming and crying with the car still running, that was the background music until someone finally reached in and turned the key.

2. I was wearing my hospital gown, sitting in a wheelchair, crying, waiting to be x-rayed. My nose started burning, and I feared more glass was still stuck in it so I started picking my nose. I must have been a glorious sight.

3. I'd been bitching lately that my low coolant light wouldn't go out, despite the coolant being filled. Well...I guess I showed that light who the boss is!

Okay...humor over...I'm bummed out beyond words. :sad:

Last edited:
omg Kat, that's really scary :(

I'm so glad you're (relatively) okay...I can't believe the other driver didn't even say she was sorry.

I know you must be pretty sore right now so :gentlenottoosqueezyhug:

I'll say one thing...Ernie was beyond wonderful. I was never so happy in my life to see him. When people started approaching my car and saw me with my phone, they asked if I was calling 911, and I said, "No, I'm calling my boyfriend!" That's when the one girl called 911. I was so freaked out that I couldn't even remember how to work my phone...I fumbled with the buttons for a minute first. Ernie came right over...pulled his truck right smack in the middle of things. I was still stuck in the car, and he came over and said he was there and he loved me. He took care of everything...got the info, got my stuff out of my car, got me to the hospital and home...God, I love him so much.

That's really scary, I'm glad you're pretty much okay. :hug: That really sucks about your car.

Oh Kat :hug: This isnt the first time is it. :( Sorry you had to go through that. I hate people dont know how to drive :mad:

:hug: Glad you're OK, Kat. I'm sorry about your car, but you have something much more important that's still in tact - YOU! :hug:

Sadly, it sounds as though the other driver may have already been through this before - many insurance company's literature regarding auto accidents tells their insured's to never apologize at the scene of an accident or really speak to the other driver (you, in this case) at all... the idea being the less they talk to you, the less likely something could be said that would put them on the hook unquestionably for the loss. :tsk:

I don't know that I could be much help to you, but I'm a licensed property & auto agent... if you can't get any assistance from the other person's auto carrier or your own insurance agent, please IM me. I'll be happy to give you my email or phone number if you've got any questions.

I hope your recovery is quick and complete and the settlement over your damages is fair and well handled. Good luck! :up:

OMG you poor thing, but I do believe someone was definitely watching over you because it could have been so much worse. You are like me in finding the humor which helps get me get through even the worst of times. The glass is the scary part. I hope you recover quickly, hopefully your boyfriend (and bless him for being there for you!) can take care of you while you heal. You will probably be even more uncomfortable tomorrow and for a few more days before getting better. I certainly hope the other driver is cited and that their insurance is fair and that YOUR insurance is tough and fights for you (some don't-they don't wanna give up anything they don't have to). Could be a while before insurance works things out. I hope you don't have bad dreams from this!

And I can vouch for State Farm and AAA in that those are 2 companies who I've been insured by both of whom advise to NEVER apologize at the scene of an accident, NEVER take blame or admit fault.

:Gentle hug: Get well and best of luck that things get ironed out for you relatively quickly and as painfully as possible in your favor! Then I suppose you get another new car?

Oh no! That sounds so scarey! You poor thing. I'm glad you're ok though.

I'm gobsmacked that the other driver was so calm about the whole thing! :mad:

Carek1230 said:

:Gentle hug: Get well and best of luck that things get ironed out for you relatively quickly and as painfully as possible in your favor! Then I suppose you get another new car?

Well, here's the thing. My car used to be my mom's...her most favorite car she'd ever had...and every time she'd call me, she'd ask me how the car was doing. :sad: I was making monthly payments on the car, but my parents hadn't actually set a price for how much I'd pay for the car total. We figured I'd just keep making monthly payments for awhile, they'd keep track of it, and we'd figure something out down the road. So...I still owe them money for the car, but we never decided how much, meaning that all of the money I get from insurance may just have to go to them to pay off the car, which leaves me nothing to get a new one.

My parents are very cool though, and they aren't gonna screw me over and leave me high and dry. I know they'll help me out in whatever way I need, but I also want to make sure they get paid the full amount for the car...though it's really difficult for them to set a final price for me now. :(

I made this pic to email to my parents and sister. This is what happened:

Accident.jpg

I'm glad you're alright :hug:

The settlement should more than cover whatever you owe them on the car. Of course I hope you're able to find a new set of wheels soon!

I called my insurance company, and they said that they pay $20/day for a rental car, up to 30 days. I called Enterprise and asked if they have anything cheap...I don't care what I'm driving, I just don't want to pay much out of pocket. The guy said he could get me one for about $4/day on my end. I have no way to get out there, but he said he can send a guy out to come pick me up. Then I can go to the towing place and get the rest of my belongings out of my car. My boyfriend didn't take my dad's garage door opener, my snow brush and scrapers, and my floormats. Yes, I am taking my floormats. Dad got me those for Christmas, and I love them, and they are mine! :D

Then...I'm gonna have to try to find a car I can afford within the next month. :slant:

:hug: So glad you're okay! Cars can be replaced, people can't be.

I had an accident in MI while at the U2 shows in Oct. My car was drivable, until I got on the freeway to come home, and my hood (that was bucked in the accident) flew open on me. :yikes: My insurance company was amazing. Paid to have me towed the 3 1/2 hours home, had a rental car waiting for me at the body shop when we got back that evening - they made the entire thing as stress-free as possible. Hope your situation goes as smoothly. :)

Crashes are my business,,,,,,,,,,you're lucky! That aerial shot speaks volumes; make sure your adjuster sees it so he or she understands the circumstances...good luck. :)

*I use the google-earth to grab aerial photos for my clients who have no idea about the LA, Orange County areas...

Im so sorry about what happened! The other drive could have at least showed some kind of remorse. Didn't have to be with words as a little action speaks a lot! Take care hope you feel better soon :hug: Btw "Ice Ice Baby" huh? :wink: lol.

Back
Top Bottom