I found out something unsettling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laurel Hill

The Fly
It's a fact that most motels and hotels do not wash the bedspreads or blankets after each guest, they only change the sheets and pillowcases. I have also heard that if they don't look dirty they won't even change those. This is gross. Somebody could have screwed or something on those, or they could have had a contagious disease, and then you come right in and plop down on them. People put their little kids on them. I may never stay in a hotel again :tsk: This is unsanitary and should be illegal. They make enough money that they could wash them. Yes some of them have admitted to this.

I agree; this has been on the news several times but its a fact...we travel a lot and we go to fine hotels and we go to small motels...

Has anyone on this board EVER seen the maid carry in a CLEAN comforter on her cart? Anyone ever seen the maid change the blankets????

I'm willing to bet that "someone" will but for the most part, I've never seen that happen....we traditionally pull the comforter down to the foot of the bed....:shrug:

Mr. BAW said:
I agree; this has been on the news several times but its a fact...we travel a lot and we go to fine hotels and we go to small motels...

Has anyone on this board EVER seen the maid carry in a CLEAN comforter on her cart? Anyone ever seen the maid change the blankets????

I never have, and I've traveled a lot too :slant: They probably NEVER change them :yikes:

I'm willing to bet that "someone" will but for the most part, I've never seen that happen....we traditionally pull the comforter down to the foot of the bed....:shrug:

Since I heard this news, I throw them both immediately in the floor, and inspect the sheets and pillowcases for wrinkles, hairs, or stains. I once found fresh bloodstains :barf: They replaced them and apologized, but I will never go there again.

I've been seeing sleep sacks and travel sheet sets people can pack and take with them. I would certainly buy some if I travelled a lot.

Here are a couple of sites with them (there are loads if you google sleep sack.

sleep sacks

sleep sacks and travel sheets

Seen the maids carry in a clean comforter? No. But a clean duvet cover? Yes.

I find hotel beds ridiculously uncomfortable 90% of the time anyway. I prefer camping to sleeping in a hotel hands-down. Even if I'm in a hotel, truth be told, I'd rather bring an open cell foam air mattress and sleep on the floor anyway. The floor is good enough for me in most people's houses, it's good enough in a hotel.

I think I saw on tv once that they tested for "stains" if you know what I mean, and found hundreds of them on the comforters and sheets...:| I always bring my own blankets to sleep on, but it's still gross. :yuck:

The hotels I have stayed at they leave a sign on the bed saying they are trying to conserve water. So if it's not necessary for your sheets to be cleaned than they won't change them :ohmy: Said if you want them taken off though than you have to leave the sign on the bed stating it. First time I saw this it really did gross me out :yuck: Can't help but to wonder if the sheets that are on there when you arrive are fresh or have already been there.

Oh and I had a case too with blood on the sheet. Pulled the blanket back to lay down and saw the stain. Even had my bf look at it just to make sure it was actually what I thought it was. As I stated it was no way either of our blood since it was our first night at this hotel. Haven't ever seen a maid carry a fresh comforter on the cart either.

BonosBaby12 said:
The hotels I have stayed at they leave a sign on the bed saying they are trying to conserve water. So if it's not necessary for your sheets to be cleaned than they won't change them :ohmy:

yep I've seen this sign, too. This just caters to the staff's laziness. the sheets are probably just left on the beds more times than not. :yuck: With this water conservation excuse it's like saying they'd really rather not wash the sheets. I'm sorry but this is an instance where the use of water is absolutely necessary and called for. :|

It's a shame that there's no way to be sure you're sleeping on clean sheets in a hotel room unless you bring your own.

Achtung_Bebe said:

yep I've seen this sign, too. This just caters to the staff's laziness. the sheets are probably just left on the beds more times than not. :yuck: With this water conservation excuse it's like saying they'd really rather not wash the sheets. I'm sorry but this is an instance where the use of water is absolutely necessary and called for. :|

It's a shame that there's no way to be sure you're sleeping on clean sheets in a hotel room unless you bring your own.

How true you are with all that you said! Would rather have a peace of mind with clean sheets than wonder what may be on them :yuck: Really how long does it take to actually take sheets off and put new ones on there?! Plus it doesn't seem to me like they are thinking of conversering water when they drain the pool than fill it back up.

I'm probably going to sound stupid here but what's a comforter?

susanp6 said:
I don't know either :reject: Though i'd like to, just so I avoid touching it next time i am in a hotel :yuck:

susanp6 said:

It's a bed cover that is layed on top of the blankets. They look kind of puffy but they are actually rather scratchy underneath,lol. Whenever you stay in a hotel you usually find these covering the bed. Than when you pull them back you discover the blankets are underneath.

I was a hotel maid for a short spell. :crack: ICK. It was supposed to be my second job for the summer before I went away for college, but I ended up moving away with my dad. One of the biggest perks about moving was being able to quit the hotel. :lol: I hated that job so much, but I was gonna stick it out for the summer to get some $$$.

I always changed the sheets, but I think I only changed one comforter...since there was poop on it. :barf:

Oh that's what it is! :wink: thanks for the info - yeah, i do know what you're talking about but i've never spotted any disgusting stains or anything on it! Thank god for that but i'll keep a look out in future as i'll be going to a few hotels in the near future! :hyper: :hyper:

I doubt that happens at the clarence!
Where im staying most of next week :wink: .

I seem to remember in one of the reports I heard about this situation that the "better," more expensive hotels actually had more "stuff" on the bed linens than did the more budget places. :ohmy:

None were great mind you, but apparently price is no guarantee you'll get clean sheets. :shrug:

Considering the living conditions of 75% of this world, I don't think a used comforter is going to kill anyone.

Is it gross? Sure. But it's no more gross than taking a shower in a tub that may not have been washed, sitting on a couch that hasn't been cleaned in 5 years, walking barefoot on carpeted areas that haven't been washed since they were installed, walking barefoot around swimming pools, hell swimming IN swimming pools with other people who most likely didn't shower before going in and so on.

Tilli said:

I don't know either :reject: Though i'd like to, just so I avoid touching it next time i am in a hotel :yuck:

It's a glorified duvet. :wink: When we first moved to Canada, we were very confused over the whole comforter thing. The workers at Wal-Mart didn't know what this so-called "duvet" we kept talking about was, so things looked grim until the dialect barrier was broken.

Anyway, as for the original topic...gross, but like anitram said, there are more revolting things out there. The handrails on the escalators at the shops, for instance.

Back
Top Bottom