I don't know where to put this

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laura M

Blue Crack Addict
As some of you may know I have a diabetic sister. This morning at 3am I woke up and could hear choking noises and her bed shaking against her wall. I found her in her room having a fit then she went limp. I can't recall what I did but I managed to phone an ambulance and give her a glucose injection before my parents came in because my Dad could hear me screaming/ crying. I've been to the hospital then got a taxi home as my Dad wasn't in a position to drive and he wants me to try to sleep before I go to work this afternoon. I can't sleep now and have nobody to talk to so I guess this is why I'm posting this here.

We don't know what's wrong with her but she may have developed eplipsey or "other things that cause seizures." They don't think she had a diabetic fit but she did have a massive hypo. Her boyfriend has had seizures and now has epilepsy and the cause of that is a brain tumour he has, obviously I'm worried and can't stop crying because I feel guilty and I don't know why I feel guilty because if I hadn't woken up she would almost have certainly not been here in the morning.

It feels good just to "talk" here about that.

Last edited:
Lara Mullen said:
I'm worried and can't stop crying because I feel guilty and I don't know why I feel guilty because if I hadn't woken up she would almost have certainly not been here in the morning.

girl,, you DID wake up and helped her... don't think about what would happen if she was alone... you took care of her and did the right things to made her feel better

don't feel bad.. :hug:

I know that you (you and your sis) will get over this :hug:

I'm sorry to hear about this, Lara. Take care, sweetie. We'll all be thinking of you, your sister, and your family.

:hug:

you did the right thing Lara, we all lov you and your sister, and we all hope you and your sis are gonna be just fine

hi everyone, i got a few hours sleep and feel much better. i think i was a bit shocked when i got home, i think I was screaming before I even got to her room this morning and couldn't stop shaking until I got back home again.
My Mum rang and said that they are still waiting for a Dr to see them and find out what the fit was but they are "hoping it was just a massive hypo"
Thank you for your kind words :hug: :heart:

My sister also feels better, she called a Dr an "old codger" for trying to give her another blood test wheras this morning she didn't know her name and thought it was 30th april 2001 and she was in Portugal.

Lara Mullen said:
My sister also feels better, she called a Dr an "old codger" for trying to give her another blood test wheras this morning she didn't know her name and thought it was 30th april 2001 and she was in Portugal.

Being majorly disorientated is not unusual after a really sever hypo. It sounds horrible, but it really isn't. I hope the worst she has is a severly painful headache. You know hypos, they're not permanent and can't do any damage.

Keep us updated Lara

That's a terribly gripping story Lara; hoping your sister does well soon.....many of us might not have been able to react as swiftly as you..well wishes to the family!

Mr. BAW
(Old codger from across the Pond!)

Angela Harlem said:

Being majorly disorientated is not unusual after a really sever hypo. It sounds horrible, but it really isn't. I hope the worst she has is a severly painful headache. You know hypos, they're not permanent and can't do any damage.

Keep us updated Lara

Yes Angie, I guess you'd understand how she feels. :up: She is at another hospital now and has been spoilt with lots of presents from her boyfriend apparently. I know she hates to admit it but she's terribly fond of the boy, she was calling my Dad the boyfriends name this morning. She should be home tomorrow or Monday. She was sick in the hospital and they put her on a drip, but folk are sometimes sick after a big hypo. She has went to the other hopsital in town with a diabetic unit and her consultant said she had a diabetic fit and it was nothing more sinister like eplipsey. It's pretty scary though, I don't think she could breathe until I turned her over on her side. The Dr told my parents lots of the side effects of having seizures. No point dwelling on things like that though as it was scary to watch but she can't remember anything happening. I am banning trips to the hospital now, this is the fourth time in less than 18 months either my sister or my Mum have been in hospital and it's not good for my nerves. I also don't trust my brother in a crisis, I'm running to the fridge to get the glucose injection asking my brother to do something like phone an ambulance and he walks to my sister's room looks at her then proceeds down to the kitchen and starts eating breakfast (at 3 in the morning).

Thanks again everyone :hug:

You don't have to feel guilty, you saved her life:hug:

I hope she doesn't have epilepsy. It gets started in weird ways. I have a friend who started having seizures after a bad asthma attack when she was 16.

Take care :hug: I'll be hoping and praying for the best for all of you.

Lara Mullen said:
I also don't trust my brother in a crisis, I'm running to the fridge to get the glucose injection asking my brother to do something like phone an ambulance and he walks to my sister's room looks at her then proceeds down to the kitchen and starts eating breakfast (at 3 in the morning).

:huh:

How old is he? Maybe he was in shock and tried to pretend nothing was happening....

:hug: Hope all continues to go well......praying for your sis and you and your family. Take Care

speaking as an EMT -- you saved her life.
be proud of yourself that you acted as you did!

Hopefully her endocrinologist gets a kick in the arse and figures out what she needs to do to manage her insulin vs. blood sugar so she doesn't get so hypoglycemic in her sleep again, or more exploration is done to determine why it happened. .. have been on many 911 calls to diabetics in seizure from hypo... :hug:

lara:hug:

as everyong had mentioned, you acted quickly and you saved your sister's life. not many people would be able to react in the same manner in a life and death situation.

praying for your peace of mind and your sis...

take care of yourself.

wolfeden said:
speaking as an EMT -- you saved her life.
be proud of yourself that you acted as you did!

Hopefully her endocrinologist gets a kick in the arse and figures out what she needs to do to manage her insulin vs. blood sugar so she doesn't get so hypoglycemic in her sleep again, or more exploration is done to determine why it happened. .. have been on many 911 calls to diabetics in seizure from hypo... :hug:

She did lots of exercise that day and then her bsl was a lot lower at night time than it usually is but she took the normal amount of night time insulin and then didn't eat enough to sustain a normal bsl during the night we think. She is back at home now, she is ok apart from having bad leg pains but she gets a lot of cramping in her legs anyway. She is also checking her levels more than is really necessary and is afraid to sleep on her own or in her bedroom again because she is afraid of seeing "two strange blokes" at the bottom of her bed. She has already got my brother to move half her belongings into my room while i was still sleeping and she will sleep in my bed with me. Next week we are moving a double futon into the living room that we will sleep on and she is going to make my brother sleep on the sofa so we can all be together apparently. :der: But she keeps telling us she loves us very much and holding my hand and staring at me strangely everytime I pass her :cute:

Last edited:
don't feel guilty lara, the same thing happened to me too. my dad was having a seizure and if i hadn't heard the choking noises he probably would've died.

just remember what you did was a wonderful and brave thing. you're a great person and a great sister. :hug: i really hope your sister gets better, glad to hear she's recovering.

Back
Top Bottom