I don't know how to walk in high heels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2bonogirl

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Back on the blue crack after a long break
I've never worn high heels in my life and I need some good tips on how to walk in them without looking like an idiot. Today I went out and bought some (I think they are about 4") to practice in before I have to wear them in public.

In April I'm going to be on a runway modeling for a Paul Mitchell charity fashion show my school is putting on, and I'm scared that I'm going to get out there and fall on my face...or look like I have something stuck up my butt.

So if any ladies here walk in heels a lot, pleeease tell me what I'm supposed to do :yikes:

Always heel toe, to evenly distribute the weight. But don't press too far down on the heel, especially if it's a stilleto type... else you'll skid and go flying.

I only have once, to hear Bono speak last May. It was a VERY fancy banquet dinner, we all had to wear evening gowns and such. It was when I was developing arthritis in my foot so I did not so much enjoy the heels. I walked in, took off the shoes and stuck my feet under the table, then put them on to walk out and that was it. They are cute sandals and I did practice some beforehand. For me, the trick was keeping my balance and walking from my hips. If I kept conscious of my hips, I looked more natural (i.e., not leaning back or swinging my arms weird).

You better post pics of this fashion show!!

No it won't snap :lol: Don't pound on it but just try to walk normally like you always walk.... You just need a little more balance on high heels. Are they stilletos or wedges?

Be more aware of things like small stones, grates, and cracks in sidewalks, because the skinnier the heel, the more hazardous things like that can be. If you're gonna be on a runway though, you'll probably be fine if you just practice walking around in them at home.

If I seriously wasn't comfortable with heels though, I wouldn't wear them. You can still be fashionable in flats.

They are stilettos. The person running the show says that we will all be in them, so there is no option of a wedge. They looked like they would be easier to handle though :yes:

I have short legs, so there is no way in hell I'm getting out of wearing high heels. I've spent some time walking around my house in the shoes and I feel really stupid :lol:
I'm trying to get up the guts to walk to the mailbox with them on

u2bonogirl said:
I have short legs, so there is no way in hell I'm getting out of wearing high heels. I've spent some time walking around my house in the shoes and I feel really stupid :lol:

It's always better to feel stupid in the privacy of your home doing this versus getting on the runway and toppling over :lol:

I remember the first time I ventured out in public wearing high heels. Had a death grip on my friend that I was with the whole time. Thankfully he understood my need for support for the fear of hitting the ground hard :lol:

Heels are not scary ... I actually like them because they make me a bit taller (I am only 5'3").

You might want to try buying a pair of inexpensive shoes with a lower heal (mayeb 2 inches) to start off in. Once you get the hang of those, stilettos will be a piece of cake. Try Payless for an inexpensive "practice" pair.

SJP said that she trotted around the house in high heels with weights strapped around her ankles so that when she was filming SATC wearing them was no problem.

u2bonogirl said:
They are stilettos.... I've spent some time walking around my house in the shoes and I feel really stupid :lol:

Just put on some short shorts, a tank & your stillettos and sashay around the house while Tim's home. If nothing else, you'll get good practice running in heels - at least attempting to run! :lol:

Seriously, heels just take practice and a little more attention to where you're placing your feet than those Converse. :D And personally, when climbing stairs in heels, I always use just the ball of my foot - it keeps your foot flat for the next step instead of being at some funky forward-leaning angle.

And yeah - we want pictures of this modeling gig!! :)

Oh, I forgot to mention the other time I tried heels, this time far smaller heels than the Bono dinner thing, but far worse consequences. It was my wedding and Phil basically carried me up the three little stairs, I was falling so bad. I'd practiced going down the isle and going DOWN the little stairs w/o looking or stepping on my dress, but not going up. :| I was stepping on my dress so bad. Luckily, no one said they really noticed.

I'm so bad at being a girl :reject:

These were those shoes of Death, $7 at Target:
http://www.dutchbingo.net/personal/mywedding/slides/034.jpg

Tara, if an oversized klutz with an arthritic foot like me and do it, you will be lovely!! :wink:

Try with smaller heels first, if you can. Like 2" is a good start.

I never had any trouble walking in them. It's not that difficult, really, especially if they are actually shoes as opposed to open sandals. Little strappy sandals are toughest because your foot tends to slip around in them.

I went to a very formal event a couple of days ago and I'm still paying for it. Oh but my strappy sandals are so lovely. It was worth the blisters! My friend and I walked out of the cab barefoot at 2 am, though, so that ought to tell you the scale of pain. Definitely not dancing shoes....

I'm tall enough (almost 5'9") that I thankfully can get away wearing relatively low heels, which is good, because I'm a total klutz :wink:

Liesje said:
Oh, I forgot to mention the other time I tried heels, this time far smaller heels than the Bono dinner thing, but far worse consequences. It was my wedding and Phil basically carried me up the three little stairs, I was falling so bad. I'd practiced going down the isle and going DOWN the little stairs w/o looking or stepping on my dress, but not going up. :| I was stepping on my dress so bad. Luckily, no one said they really noticed.

I'm so bad at being a girl :reject:

These were those shoes of Death, $7 at Target:
http://www.dutchbingo.net/personal/mywedding/slides/034.jpg

Tara, if an oversized klutz with an arthritic foot like me and do it, you will be lovely!! :wink:

Haha! That was funny! All of a sudden, I felt this little bit of weight on my arm. So I pulled Liesy up the stairs the rest of the way. :D

OMG Phil you gave me a scare! I'm flipping thru the threads and see the title of this one and that you were the latest post....Whew! Glad it's not about Lies and not you wearing high heels! whew! :wink:

If you look like this, I'd let you crawl down the runway!!!

Spank.jpg

I suck at the heels thing too. It's not for lack of buying them that's for sure. My friends say I don't look like an idiot but except for a couple of pairs that feel like they were molded onto my feet, I feel too shaky in the rest.

I know it's entirely my mother's fault. She made me wear flats till I was about 18 and I always tease her that my feet had formed for flat shoes by then. I hate the fact that Wesley Snipes can run upstairs in huge mules better than I can walk from one side of the room to the other in a small heel. Bastard.

u2bonogirl said:
Today I went out and bought some (I think they are about 4") to practice in before I have to wear them in public.

:shocked: 4'' to practice in.....that's throwing yourself head first into the deep end!!!

I'm not a model but LOVE wearing heels when i go out somewhere flash!

OK....straight back......suck in your tum-tum.....and just walk....one foot in front of the other! Keep practising and you will get it! And buy those footsy aid thingy's you can get them from the chemist, stick them on all the saw parts of the shoes...arm yourself and your feet with band-aids....and you are on your way!:sexywink:

anitram said:
Try with smaller heels first, if you can. Like 2" is a good start.

I never had any trouble walking in them. It's not that difficult, really, especially if they are actually shoes as opposed to open sandals. Little strappy sandals are toughest because your foot tends to slip around in them.

Agreed ...

anitram said:

I went to a very formal event a couple of days ago and I'm still paying for it. Oh but my strappy sandals are so lovely. It was worth the blisters! My friend and I walked out of the cab barefoot at 2 am, though, so that ought to tell you the scale of pain. Definitely not dancing shoes....

Oh the pain I have endured for the sake of cute shoes. I had a fundraiser I was attending a couple of years ago.

My dress was a lovely pink color ... not overly cutesy baby pink, but a nice respectable pink. I searched high and low for the perfect pair of strappy sandals.

I found a pair the exact color of my dress. By the end of the night I wanted to cut off my feet to stop the pain.

But I wouldn't have traded my perfect shoes for anything.

Liesje said:

Going down the stairs in a floor length formal dress is easy. Going up is another question. But the easiest way is to just slightly pick up the skirt of your dress so you don't step on it. And you just need to raise it an inch or two ... just enough so you don't step on it.

Last edited:
:lol: Lies, you make me laugh. That is exactly why I wore ballerina shoes to my wedding! :shifty:

Okay, another question: Would it be wise for me to pre-bandage my heels to keep them from getting blisters? Or will that make things worse?

Thank you all for giving me advice!

Oh, and I did practice in front of Tim with my new adorable trouser shorts on and he seemed to enjoy it :evil:

My feet already hurt :grumpy:

If I ever got married I'd wear flat shoes too. I love my comfort too much too suffer for an entire day. :up:

Wear the heels whenever you have to and bring flat shoes to change into. I usually bring a pair of pink slipper pumps out with me that I keep rolled up in my bag. People may laugh but when they're crying about sore feet I don't regret whipping out the slippers the minute I get out of a club.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom