I don't get tribute bands

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
First of all, how do you hate something you have never tried?

I did back about a few years ago thought that tribute bands were stupid, and could not understand why people wasted their time and money to see something fake. I had a chance before my husband's gig to see a Grateful Dead tribute band. It was wild and crazy. And everybody got into it. They were dancing around and jumping up and down as if they were at a real show. After they finished playing and left the stage, so did the crowd! I was like, where in the hell did everybody go? So, my poor hubby had a small audience, since all of them left with the tribute band. I thought what in world is going on!

Well, a year later I see EXIT and Elevation-Toronto which were my first tribute bands for me to pay and see. I was pleasantly surpised and ate every bad thought I had of tribute bands. That was the most fun I had ever had in one weekend. The same thing happend just a month ago at the LA convention with The Joshua Tree band and Elevation USA. I fell in love again with seeing tribute bands, and never thought it could get any better than that. Except for the real thing of course! Everybody knows that! It helps us get through those down times when U2 is in the studio. Also I have met and made so many friends at these events, it's wild! I have made best friends too!!!

So don't "dis" the tribute bands!

You don't know what you're missin'!!!

And as a side note: To me, Jason is the best Bono I have ever seen or heard!!! Don't get me wrong. Everybody that I listed above here has done a super job! I just give the JT band an A++!!! Way to go guys! Yeee Haaa!!!

If you've never seen a tribute band or have no desire to, fine. Its not for everyone. But don't put them down or make judgements about the people who are in them or the people who DO enjoy them.

What's so wrong about getting a U2 fix and sharing some bonding with other fans? I've traveled some great distances to see my favorite U2 tributes and I would say that its probably a 50/50 split between my desire to see the actual band and wanting to see all the people I've made friends with because of the bands.

hey Allegra! :wave:

unforgettable fire...

102351995ogrvUO_fs.jpg

102352033IwfvCl_fs.jpg

Last edited:
When I saw how much JT sound like the real band I couldn't belive it! The voice is definitely the hardest thing to replicate. Good job guys!

OnFire said:
In another thread I noticed that a U2 tribute band is playing at a club I can practically walk to this saturday. I've got a party to go to anyway but I'm not sure how jazzed up to go I would be anyway.

i don`t get it either. U2 and every song of them is related and has connections with my life and the emotions that are going with it. To see a coverband play those songs is like feeling kicked in the back a little. i will never enjoy a U2 coverband.:sad:

i'd rather go see a coverband if not u2. granted, its not the same without U2 themselves, but to me, its about the music.

if your going to see one u2 coverband, i strongly recommend Joshua Tree. They are amazing.

Last edited:
diamond said:
if i had tix to go see bon jovi in the front row or jason in a club..id opt for jason.:wink:

Geez Diamond, that's an incredible compliment. Thank you my man.:hug: I'm glad we made your long trek from Arizona worth it and hope to see you again soon! (and hang out a little this time)

As for those who don't get or like tribute or cover bands, I would say you are missing out, but who am I to tell you anything. My opinion is obviously a bit biased being that I'm in a tribute band and all. I can, however, see your point of view. But, if I had based my enitre opinion on tribute bands from some bands (not just U2) that I had seen and heard on the internet and the few I went to see live before I started mine, I'd probably not care for them either. There are some, though, that get it so close that it is, in fact, almost just as good as seeing the real band. I had the opportuinity to play a benefit concert a few months ago in LA with 20 other various tributes from Heart to AC/DC and I gotta tell you, some were just as good as the real deal. There was a Bon Jovi (coincidence diamond) Tribute band there and these guys sounded just as good as the real Bon Jovi. In fact, the singer could hit notes that he can't hit anymore, so in some ways it WAS better.

I've been in the music business for over 15 years and doing this U2 tribute is the most fun and rewarding experience I've had yet. Also, 99% of the people that come to see us are huge fans of U2 just like we are and they really enjoy themselves and we enjoy them. Our shows are an opportunity for U2 fans to get together, celebrate U2's music, and hang out and get to know one another. We've met some really incredible people so far and it's great to see them at shows, it's kinda becoming like family. Some of these people have amazing stories of how U2 brought them together and brought them to places they never thought they'd ever get to go in their lifetime.

Hey, to each their own I say. At every show there's usually a person who looks at me like I'm some sort of nutjob because I'm imitating Bono, but that's only one amongst a hundred or more that appreciate what we are doing and what we have to offer fellow fans like ourselves. If they don't get it, that's fine. They tried it and it wasn't for them.

God bless, I gotta go find someplace to put this soapbox now.

Jason.

Ok, after hearing that clip, I MUST see JT!!!

Good lord Mr. Jones, not only do you sound like Bono, you sound like circa 1984 Bono. I've always had this secret desire to go back in time and listen to the old Bono sing some of the newer songs, and it looks like I'll have a chance now. :up:

one question...
do other performers of the real bands acknowledge their tribute band performers the way u2 acknowledges their tribute band performers?:hmm:
it appears that Bono is a bit humbled/flattered by the way some of the u2 trib bands pay him homage.

does anybody know?:)

jason,
i reeeally dont like bon jovi, and somebody imitating bon jovi really needs a slap:angry:.:

db9

Last edited:
diamond said:
one question...
do other performers of the real bands acknowledge their tribute band performers the way u2 acknowledges their tribute band performers?:

db9

Not sure how many out there acknowledge their tribute counterparts, but there are a few examples I can share.

We, JT, recently played a benefit show to raise money for the drummer form a Def Lappard tribute that is in need of a heart lung transplant. The real Def Leppard donated some signed items to be raffeled off. So they obviouly know and support the tributes.

Another, although I hate the band, is Judas Priest. When their lead singer left several years ago, he ended up being replaced by a guy they found singing in a Judas Priest Tribute.

And with U2 there is my favority example where Bono pulled up Captive from EXIT to play guitar with Edge. Not to mention mentioning EXIT on U2's web site and Edge having a flyer for an EXIT show in his guitar case. Maybe he'll have a Joshua Tree flyer this time around....

Chas

Now that I've read the whole thread here, I'll throw in my dollar two-ninety-eight.

I hate it when bands do covers. Maybe I over-scrutinize, but half the time I hear a band cover a song, they either totally train wreck it or they half-ass it. I cringe when they try to add their own flair to it (although occasionally you get a good one). I far, far prefer listening to original stuff over covers.

I've come to the conclusion that when a band is at a club, they feel like that have to do covers (maybe they think they need to do them to keep the audience's interest, maybe the club manager insists, who knows), and the lack of passion shows. Occasionally you'll have a band cover a song they really like, and that turns out much better, but overall, I prefer original stuff.

But when I go see a tribute band, it's a totally different story. Tribute bands don't covers songs because they have to, they cover them (if you can even call it that) because they want to. Because they love that artist, and they love their music. When I see Elevation, I don't have to worry about over-scrutinizing their performance, because they probably scrutinize themselves far more than I ever could. And it shows in their performance - they're amazing, and I'm sure the other U2 tributes (and tributes in general) are as well.

This is probably one of the reasons I liked Exit so much when I saw them. Their U2 stuff was great, because they're a tribute band. But I also got a taste of their original stuff, which I also liked a lot. I was eager to see if I could identify any U2 influence in their own music, and it was a lot of fun. Same thing for 3rd Verse last weekend.

Looking forward to hearing JT next spring, and hopefully Exit again. :up:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom