I don?t like LOTR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AM

Refugee
Just saw the movie and simply can?t understand why people like it. I?m weird, I know...

------------------
"The bass player's got it. The bass player's fucking got it." Bono, Boston 6-9-01

Must be an island based jealousy
biggrin.gif

I never saw it...have no desire to.

------------------
"Hallelujah, Heaven's white rose,
The doors you open...I just can't close..."

Originally posted by zooropamanda:
Seen it twice and plan on seeing it again. Maybe you guys just don't like fantasy and imagined worlds?
I get lost in that stuff.

You're right--generally I don't like fantasy movies. But I really liked Harry Potter, Star Wars, and a few others. But LOTR to me was just repetitious--fight some monsters, keep moving, fight some more monsters, continue on, fight more monsters....I actually was so bored, yet determined to see it through til the end, that I did something I have never done in my life which was to get up in the middle of the movie and go get popcorn. That simple act turned into my own journey of fighting monsters which lasted about 25 minutes. I returned to the movie finally, realizing all I'd missed were a couple more battles with monsters...

But clearly I'm in the minority. People generally LOVE this movie and the special effects and all were really amazing. But I can't imagine sitting through it more than once!

Yes...journey epics are funny that way...they have to have these things to overcome on their journey...or why make the movie ?
biggrin.gif
We got up..we walked 20 miles...nothing much happened...etc etc...
smile.gif

Have you read the books? They spend a lot more time in the places (like Rivendell and Lorien) and although its still an epic journey there is much more breathing space!

Originally posted by dream wanderer:
Yes...journey epics are funny that way...they have to have these things to overcome on their journey...or why make the movie ?
biggrin.gif
We got up..we walked 20 miles...nothing much happened...etc etc...
smile.gif

Have you read the books? They spend a lot more time in the places (like Rivendell and Lorien) and although its still an epic journey there is much more breathing space!

I tried reading the books once upon a time--didn't get through them. I guess I just don't get into fantasy in general, with a few exceptions, but man oh man, my own fantasy life is quite rich!
smile.gif

Originally posted by joyfulgirl:
I tried reading the books once upon a time--didn't get through them. I guess I just don't get into fantasy in general, with a few exceptions, but man oh man, my own fantasy life is quite rich!
smile.gif

Care to share?
wink.gif

I loved the movie, with a few reservations (seen it twice, want to see it again) and I've read the book something like ten times and adore it completely. But I do realize it's not for everyone. I finally saw Harry Potter recently, but I didn't like it nearly as much. I've read the books and don't think they compare to LOTR--actually, they're quite different, I'm not sure why you WOULD compare. But I saw HP with my parents, and also saw LOTR once with them. My mom has read two HP books and read LOTR once years ago, and my dad is not very interested in that type of fantasy and hasn't read either HP or LOTR at all. Both my parents agreed that LOTR was much better than HP, though we all enjoyed HP. HP was good, but a few times I was surprised to see the effects looking a bit fake--and if either movie ever felt boring to me, it was HP. (I agree, though, that the battles in LOTR went on too long--the major battles come in the second and third parts!!).

With the exception of a few somewhat cheesy moments (Galadriel!), I thought LOTR looked so real. Apparently they strove for a historical rather than fantasy look, and I think they succeeded. Even if the special effects are basically good quality, in my experience with films of fantasy books, it just tends to come across looking fake. But this seemed really real, and I congratulate them for that. My favourite thing about the LOTR book is the reality of the world it creates.

------------------
Your sun so bright it leaves no shadows, only scars
Carved into stone on the face of earth
The moon is up and over One Tree Hill
We see the sun go down in your eyes

[This message has been edited by scatteroflight (edited 03-13-2002).]

Surely no one would compare them except for people like me who tend to lump all fantasy movies into one category--Babe (the pig) to Harry Potter to LOTR, they're all the same to me, lol...

Well, I think people have been talking about them together a lot simply because they're two hugely popular and highly anticipated fantasy movies that came out at almost the same time. For what that's worth.

I can say that I am very much looking forward to the next LOTR movies (though with some trepidation, mainly because of how complex the plot gets in the book) but I have a feeling that the next Harry Potter movies--and I think they're planning to do all seven, after all seven books are out!--could get pretty repetitive.

------------------
Your sun so bright it leaves no shadows, only scars
Carved into stone on the face of earth
The moon is up and over One Tree Hill
We see the sun go down in your eyes

Originally posted by scatteroflight:
I finally saw Harry Potter recently, but I didn't like it nearly as much. I've read the books and don't think they compare to LOTR--actually, they're quite different, I'm not sure why you WOULD compare.

Surely no one would compare them except for people like me who tend to lump all fantasy movies into one category--Babe (the pig) to Harry Potter to LOTR, they're all the same to me, lol...

fight some monsters, keep moving, fight some more monsters, continue on, fight more monsters....
I hope you didn't just ruin the plot
biggrin.gif

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Originally posted by Bonochick:

Ditto!

------------------
Love will make you mine...
Creep up from behind...
Get you jumping out of your skin...
Angel, it's sink or swim.

(??.?(?*?.? ?.?*?)?.??)
?.???. *Monica*.???.?
(?.??(?.??* *??.?)??.)

Originally posted by Bonochick:

Same here too.

------------------
I'm only asking, but I think you know.

"This is so bad it's gone way past good and back to bad again." - Enid, Ghost World.

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
eek.gif

I am sorry for you. It was an outstanding movie, imo.
biggrin.gif

Heh, I didn't see it either....probably never will actually....maybe just to make you mad....OR just 'cos I don't like that genre....haven't decided.
wink.gif

Awww...you know I love ya sula! Yea, I just don't really like those kinds of movies. Hell I didn't even see HP. But I did see Indiana Jones tonight....off the subject a bit but ooooo, he's hot!

------------------
Every question possesses a power that does not lie in the answer.

Back
Top Bottom