I didn't think my week could get any worse....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bonosloveslave

Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Staff member
So I've been on the verge of meltdown for the past few days, as school is totally sucking - having 5 tests over 9 days, a major presentation to do next week, my first surgery on Thursday, a forced attempt to schedule the next year and 1/2 of my life (rotations start in January), dreading an entire week of neurology straight (8am to 3pm for 5 days in a row, other than 2 tests to mix things up that week) coming soon, I could go on and on. I know there are people that would kill for the privilege to be in the program I am in, but I am so ready to quit!

Tonight I get home to see a U-Haul in my driveway, find my husband (we'll call him K) on the porchswing with an alcoholic beverage (which he never drinks), and K tells me he has basically been fired. This is totally unexpected, he's never been fired before in his life, and this is really not a good thing seeing as how I really can't hold a job and try to juggle 21 credits at the same time!

The shitty thing is, it was basically a misunderstanding, with no warnings or second chances. We were running a sort of franchise business through a major car rental company, we've been with the company for 2 years and have tried to get this store off the ground since December. Things really picked up over the summer, we had the highest area sales for 3 months in a row. We rent mostly to business customers who come back week after week because they love K and the great service he gives. He is the only guy there to run the store, his boss has never come in to check in with him since we opened in December. She shows up today with the regional manager and some high-up security guy to tell him our contract has been terminated. Basically, they said K broke the contract that he signed with the company by renting cars in his own name (we rented a car twice in the last 9 months). Being with the company for over 2 years, you think someone would have warned him that you can't do that! We run a freakin car rental company, and we can't rent a car! It's not like he used the cars and scammed them, we filled out standard contracts and paid for their use. We are kicked out and leave with pretty much nothing!!

So I know, he should have read his contract with a magnifying glass, but at least I know in my heart that he is honest and wasn't trying to cheat anyone. I feel so bad for him, I can tell he's really discouraged and frustrated, and there is pretty much nothing I can do. The one good thing is, he's gotten alot of great business contacts over the last few months, and he's going to call his best customers and tell them why he's gone. Maybe he'll get a new job connection thru one of these people.

I already thought I was at my breaking point, and this happens. Life could be worse, I know, but the volcano is about to erupt and I don't know what's gonna happen. Probably an aneurysm.

Thanks for letting me spew, needed to tell someone but not ready to tell the fam yet.

*Sorry to ramble on*

Ouch dude. You have some major stuff. I know I can't really say anything to make you feel better. I am sure it will get better though. :hug:

Wow, my first 3 hugs! *fuzzies*

Thanks guys, it helps to be able to vent. Tried to go to bed, but my eyes will not close. We decided to watch a funny movie to try to help us feel better - ended up with Deuce Bigalow. It helped temporarily, but I still feel like crap. Figured I might as well get something done, rather than just lie in bed - I really should do some laundry......

Nah, Interference is much more fun and much less labor-intensive!

*edited cuz nellie snuck in a hug :)*

Last edited:
I read through that so I'd like to say

well I'm not quite sure what to say.
You and K sound like good people who have worked hard and been treated very unfairly and coldly. I'm sorry about that.
I am the last person to whom you should apologise to for "rambling on". It's not rambling anyway imho. It's sharing the story of experience, we all learn something from it.

Good luck to you both.:hug: bonosloveslave.
I like Interference too and bono:wave: I like your handle.

Another :hug: for the Love Slave of Interference!

Grad school/vet school/law school is hard enough. I completely empathize with feeling priveleged yet not wanting to go through with it. And the situation with your husband is so unfortunate on top of school stress. :hug:

Just keep going. And keep hanging out here. We're all here to listen. *thinks up some great advice* When life hands you lemons, just listen to U2's Lemon! :rolleyes:

Okay, so my advice wasn't so great, but maybe it made you :laugh: Good luck with everything.

HeartlandGirl said:
*thinks up some great advice* When life hands you lemons, just listen to U2's Lemon! :rolleyes:

Okay, so my advice wasn't so great, but maybe it made you :laugh: Good luck with everything.

It did make me laugh - but it is a great pearl of wisdom nonetheless. :yes:

*sticks pearl in pocket 'til Zooropa album can be dug up*

souLnation2002 said:
:hug:

everything will be alright.

you'll see

I am trying to think positive, I'd like to think that maybe God pulled the rug out from under us to get us looking in a different direction, to see where we are supposed to be going. I'm guessing there is something bigger and better waiting just around the corner......

at least I hope so

You may end up in East Timor.

The drummer from our band has just been there for a month. I presumed he went there on a mission with his church. He went independently and paid for it himself. he said he prayed and asked God what he should do and he was told to go to East Timor.
Me again:D :wave:

Lemons and pearls,the world is wonderful.

Wow, that is a tough situation. Here's another hug :hug: and a bit of advice, even though you didn't really ask. :silent:

If you're going to stay in school, make sure your professors know what's going on in your life. They might seem mean and not understanding, but I'll bet you'll be surprised.

And it will all turn out ok in the long run, it's just that damn running to get there. :madspit:

:hug:bonosloveslave:hug:

If it makes you feel any better, in the past 10 years, I've had open heart sugery, lost my health insurance, went bankrupt, lost my house and cars, almost lost my business, found out my stepdaughter has a drug problem, was in a serious car accident, lost my father and grandfather and made a mistake that cost my husband and I $40,000 in back taxes, which we'll be paying back for the next 10 years.

There were times I wanted to give up and just run away from it all but I've learned to roll with the punches. I've been through the worst of the worst and everytime I overcome another problem, I feel that much stronger. Everything that has happened has been a lesson learned and it has really made our marriage strong, going through it together.

You and your husband will be okay...just make sure you turn to each other when it gets tough. :hug:

BLS-
When things get shitty like this-
I think of that song by Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush-
"Dont Give Up".."you still have friends"..

DB9
:dance:

Bono's American Wife said:
:hug:bonosloveslave:hug:

If it makes you feel any better, in the past 10 years, I've had open heart sugery, lost my health insurance, went bankrupt, lost my house and cars, almost lost my business, found out my stepdaughter has a drug problem, was in a serious car accident, lost my father and grandfather and made a mistake that cost my husband and I $40,000 in back taxes, which we'll be paying back for the next 10 years.

Well, hearing your sad story doesn't really make me feel better, it makes me feel very sad for you that you've had such a rough time :( :hug:
But that's great that it has strengthened your marriage - how does it go? "Whatever doesn't kill us makes us stronger"? We're trying to keep that perspective on things.....

diamond said:
BLS-
"Dont Give Up".."you still have friends"..

DB9
:dance:

Great song, and yes, yes I do :)

Love you guys, :hug:s to everyone

bonosloveslave said:

Well, hearing your sad story doesn't really make me feel better

I know, and that didn't come out quite the way I wanted it to...I think you got what I was trying to say though. Stick together no matter how bad it gets because it WILL get better...it might take a while but it will happen for you. I look back to where I was 10 years ago and can't believe I'm still here, but when I see what I have now and how great life is, it somehow doesn't seem so bad :)

Bono's American Wife said:

I know, and that didn't come out quite the way I wanted it to...I think you got what I was trying to say though. Stick together no matter how bad it gets because it WILL get better...it might take a while but it will happen for you. I look back to where I was 10 years ago and can't believe I'm still here, but when I see what I have now and how great life is, it somehow doesn't seem so bad :)

I hope I didn't sound sarcastic or anthing either when I said that I don't feel better hearing your story - I just meant that I truly feel for you, don't want to rejoice or feel glad that other people have a worse situation than me. :hug:

I'm hanging in there, finally not crying at the drop of a hat :)

What awful bad luck bonosloveslave. Your poor hubby must feel royally kicked right now. I'm no good with the advice and dont really know you at all to be able to offer any words of comfort, but at least with the problems you are facing, they are ones that can be overcome in an instant. Losing a job is so scary. The future is suddenly so shaky, but it can all change again in such a short amount of time. The good that may and most likely will come of it, you cant foresee, and that is not reassuring, as finding a source of hope or comfort isn't visable to either of you right now. I guess its like looking down a road in the dark. You cant see where you are heading and that is very hard. But as long as life is moving, it is changing. There are things in store for you and K and until you can see them a bit clearer, move forward cautiously. You need each other more than ever while times are so uncertain. Talk to your teachers and let them know there's probs. There is an end to your studies. At least that is one area you have some sight into the future and some amount of control. You need to look after you in the meantime, and K needs you too, as much as you need him.

:hugs: to you matie. I hope it isn't too long before things get sorted, take it slow and take a step back when it feels too overwhelming. Things will change.

All the best to you both.

Getting better......

Well, it's been a long month but we've survived, and K starts his new job today!! :dance:

He's going to be working for CVS as an assistant manager, with the intent of having him promoted to manager within 6 months for a new store they plan to open. The money is about the same but now we'll have benefits, and this store is closer to home, so a few bonuses to be grateful for :)

Now I just need to figure out how to knock some sense into my lil' sis who has decided to shack up with a married man.....:shrug: :sigh:

Oh well, thanks and :hug:s to everyone for your support :wave:

Back
Top Bottom