I Desperately Need To Relax!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryMullen's POPAngel

Blue Crack Distributor
I'll be up with the sun, I'm not coming down...
:crazy:

This is something I know I've had a problem with for quite some time, but lately it's been worse than usual (I know, it has everything to do with the move, but in all honesty, I've been like this longer than I can remember!).

I worry constantly about money, my health (I am convinced I have any number of ailments, but am too nervous to go to the doctor for fear that they will find something), my job, etc. I am obsessive about keeping a clean place, and I realize it and can joke about it with the best of them, but even I admit it is kind of extreme and I have a feeling that it ties into this entire anxiety thing, too.

I have a hard time sleeping and enjoying things I ought to be enjoying because I'm so busy contantly stressing myself out! I know it's not good for me, and I'm probably driving everyone I know crazy by being this way, which is another reason I tend to stay in more than out. :|

Is there anything anyone out there can suggest I do to help with this? I feel as if I am at the end of my rope. SERENITY NOW!!!!! :yikes: :crack: :sad:

My dear April...typically, this is the time of year when we all stress out...is it the change in weather, the job, am I buying the right gift, will that person like it, my boss, my bills...so much going on....

In your case, throw in a new apartment, your family, a lot of changes in a short time can lead to a melt-down...

You know sometimes its good just to talk to someone; a professiona or just a friendl...you don't have to be sick to talk, just need to get a few things out there to understand what's going on inside...you can even call me or BAW (we do have an 800 #) ... its always good for a release, vent or whatever it is that you might want to do ... think about it...

ps...you're not alone in this. :)

slow, deep breaths. just keep in mind that as soon as this difficult point in time is over you will have a chance to relax. :hug::hug:

and DON'T drink anything caffinated!!!

LOL about the caffeine.

:hug: Oh, April, we're gonna have a lot to talk about tonight.

And very little of it will have to do with cute Canadian boys, unfortunately.

:hug:

ah, it sounds like what you need is a little time to unplug from everything that you're frantically worrying about. what's your absolute favourite self-indulgent pleasure? give yourself permission to run off for an afternoon or an evening and throw yourself into something you love with full abandon. go the movies by yourself, catch a play at the theatre, go for a long stroll in the park, have a nice long candlelit soak in the tub with some soothing mood music, take yourself out for dinner...

or, if you're becoming a reclusive obsessive (i can relate, been there), get together a group of your best pals and head out for an evening of rollicking good fun. make an agreement with yourself to have as much fun as possible and to let your worries go for a few hours.

stress ain't good for you, girl. take a few deep breaths and go to your happy place.

I worry a lot too. The managers at one of my jobs said that she wouldn't even have to worry about the store because I worry about it enough for the both of us. :crazy: That's just one little aspect of life I stress over.

I obviously have no advice, or I'd be doing better off myself. :wink: Just know that you aren't alone with your feelings. :hug:

Mayhaps you should buckle down and get yourself to a doctor, at least to give you some solid peace of mind. If by some offhand chance there would be anything wrong, you could get it taken care of and not have to cause yourself stress over speculation.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
I am obsessive about keeping a clean place, and I realize it and can joke about it with the best of them, but even I admit it is kind of extreme and I have a feeling that it ties into this entire anxiety thing, too.

People with OCD are said to have anxiety issues as well. So yes, in fact, you are right. But I certainly would not go to the extreme and say that you have OCD though. :hug: You just have a ton of stuff on your palate. Perhaps a bit of aromatherapy, yoga, meditation would be perfect for you?

:hug: April, the ailments you could be suffering could be due to anxiety. I have been to the doctors countless times in the past 3 weeks, although I do have symptonswhich need to be investigated at the hospital a lot of my symptoms were put down to stress and anxiety. Finally going to the doctors put my mind at ease a little. I was having panic attacks just worrying about what most of my symptoms were.

The longer I let it go on the worse I have felt, I went through a few weeks where the slightest thing would make me cry and it was a real effort to get out of bed in the morning and I was reluctant to go out to certain places with my friends because I got really anxious and paranoid about how I looked. I also let lots of things pile up (uni work, paying fees for uni, getting hours at my job fixed, ignoring feeling ill) and the more I worry the less I do. It's really worth seeing someone. :)

I also had the problem with not being able to sleep because I would lie awake at night afraid that if I went to sleep something bad would happen like my sister would have another fit. I'm really funny about it because I found her the time she had her diabetic fit. Every time she grumbled in her sleep (a lot) I was out of bed checking on her. She also makes laods of noise tossing and turning, for such a light girl she sounds like a baby elephant jumping around that bed and then that makes me get up and check on her.

Since I've been ill though all I have done is sleep. 25 minutes into a class at uni and I'm dozing off :reject:

Kava is very nice. Just don't overdo it. This book transformed my life. It may be a little misleading, but the author goes into how all these unresolved open-loops in our heads cause stress and anxiety. These open-loops are not just about getting things done, or having a task-list. Psychologically, the principal applies to just about everything in life. For example, worrying about money: you can cease worrying about it even if the sitation is still unresolved, if you've closed that psychological short-circuit in your head. Because in the back of your mind, even when you aren't consciously thinking about it, your brain is still trying to remind you that it is unresolved, thus causing anxiety and stress. Closing that loop and being able to "set it down" involves a remarkably simple, but powerful process that the book details. Really, really good stuff. It has brought me a lot of peace and relief from anxiety, and I highly recommend it.

I am like the same way, seriously :crack: It really sucks I know it does. :hug: Try a hot warm relaxing bubble bath :drool:

:hug: you know I've had a hard weekend too. I'm about a month behind you but I'm feeling the same things. This whole new apartment thing is really scary. :( I've never hugged my mom as much as I have this weekend. I'm having serious separation anxiety from my parents which is so weird because my mom and I haven't gotten along all that much in the last few years (my fault I'm sure).

While I dont' worry about keeping things 100% clean and organized I am obsessed with ironing. I don't have an ironing board yet so I've been stressing about where a good spot will be to iron my clothes for work tomorrow. If something has the tiniest wrinkle in it I flip out and have to iron it. I iron every single morning. I come home for lunch everyday (and my new place is closer to work than my parents home so I can do the same :D ) and there are some days that I'll iron my shirt on my lunch break if I think it's wrinkled....my point is I know how you feel about certain anxieties and it always leads into another one for me. :sigh:

You know maybe you should just go to the Dr, get a thorough checkup and find out that everything is FINE, and then you'll feel much better! One less thing to worry about. :yes:

Just try not to be too hard on yourself. Since I stopped obsessing about my diet I have felt 100% better. That's an example for me, but maybe you can find one or two things to pressure yourself less about, if only for a month, you'll feel better.

There is a lot of really good advice here :up:

Don't be afraid to go see a Doctor if only to set your mind at ease.

With regards to sleeping try to find a bedtime routine that works for you. This may include things like: bedroom temperature, special sheets, not eating or drinking within 3 hours of bedtime, limiting caffeine and other stimulants from your diet, white noise, reading before bed and listening to music. There are lots of simple things that you can do to help yourself sleep.

Take care :hug:

Try eating a banana before bed, it has a natural sleepiness thingy in it and to relax in general you could try Ti-Chi (spelling?), it has kinda anti-stress and envigourating quality to it. It's not for everybody but it's worth a go.

Cheers. and happy relaxation.

I know all about this! I had a really tough 2004, with many stressful incidents. I'm trying to calm down and get out of it but it's not easy. It will just take me some time. Try a yoga class, that's a great de-stressor.

elfyx said:
Kava is very nice. Just don't overdo it. This book transformed my life. It may be a little misleading, but the author goes into how all these unresolved open-loops in our heads cause stress and anxiety. These open-loops are not just about getting things done, or having a task-list. Psychologically, the principal applies to just about everything in life. For example, worrying about money: you can cease worrying about it even if the sitation is still unresolved, if you've closed that psychological short-circuit in your head. Because in the back of your mind, even when you aren't consciously thinking about it, your brain is still trying to remind you that it is unresolved, thus causing anxiety and stress. Closing that loop and being able to "set it down" involves a remarkably simple, but powerful process that the book details. Really, really good stuff. It has brought me a lot of peace and relief from anxiety, and I highly recommend it.

Good Recommendation! I just picked up this book and have been reading it for the past 2 hours.

Believe it or not, you might have some nutritional deficiencies. For starters, try magnesium. It's nature's relaxant. I used to have panic attacks before big meetings at work and my friend the clinical nutritionist told me to take magnesium and it really worked. Since it moves through your system quickly, it's important to take it throughout the day, like morning, noon and night. It could be a very inexpensive experiment.

i've had kava kava prescribed to me before for sleepless nights and it works great. take it 2 hours before bedtime.

if that doesnt work...

try a glass of milk, or a cheeseburger before bedtime to fall asleep.

hope you feel better soon:hug:

I just lock myself in my room and put the headphones on, put on some U2, turn the lights out, get under my warm covers, and think of my girlfriend and all the fun we'll have at the end of the week from hell (which has been every week lately).

The last one doesn't apply, but maybe the rest...:)

Needle_Chill said:
I just lock myself in my room and put the headphones on, put on some U2, turn the lights out, get under my warm covers, and think of my girlfriend and all the fun we'll have at the end of the week from hell (which has been every week lately).

The last one doesn't apply, but maybe the rest...:)

I do this! It's *heavenly*. Gosh, great minds think alike. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom