I deserve to be poor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

~LadyLemon~

I Serve Larry's Stick
Yesterday I went to a local salon to have my hair done before my friend's wedding that afternoon. I started going to the salon last December even though it's really pricey--but they do a great job and I love the whole experience of being totally pampered while you're getting your hair done.

Since I had some highlights done a while back that I'd allowed to completely grow out because I was poor (ahem...), I decided to just get them touched up and have him straighten my hair for the special day. I'd just had my hair cut about a month ago, so I was going to wait a little longer for another cut. Anyways, it didn't end up being just a touch up. Since my hair was now several different colors, we dyed it back toward my original color, added chunkier highlights, then he styled my hair.

My bill, complete with tip?

$135 :|

When I was there a month ago, I spent $100 on a cut including tip, plus lots of good hair products. So here I am, constantly bitching about gas prices and being too poor to move out of my mom's place, but I willingly shell out tons of cash just to look cute.

I'm such an ass :mad:

Honestly, I wouldn't know what's even considered excessive when it comes to hair salons. I haven't had my hair cut by anyone besides my mom and my little sister since 8th grade. :reject:

I'm so BAD at being a girl! :banghead:

:| Mr. Blu constantly bitches about what I pay for a hair cut ( +/- $45, not including tip), not to mention the perms that I get every 4-5 months. I color my hair at home, so I don't have that expense, but he thinks it's ridiculous because his mom cuts his hair & he doesn't understand why I don't do the same. :huh:

Truth is, there are several reasons - the biggest of which is that my MIL was never trained as a stylist; she's self-taught. She does a great job on her own hair (yeah - she cuts her own!), her husband's hair & Mr. Blu's, but it's because they're all simple cuts - no layers or anything like that. I'd rather pay the $50, have a good haircut & have to listen to the griping. :laugh:

I think everyone has his/her indulgences, and as long as they don't get out of hand I don't see a problem with them. :)

My stylist that I've seen forever charges $40. My brother owned a hair salon for about 2 years and I went to every stylist there and it wasn't the same even though it was free. All I had to do was tip whoever cut my hair. But I wasn't comfortable so I went back to her. The last few months I've gotten my haircut in U2 ticket money. I bought her a ticket for the show in MN for $120ish so she said I get 3 "free" haircuts. Last week was my last one so it's going to be a shocker when I have to pay up that $40 again! And color? I just couldn't pay that much anymore so I decided to buy a box at Target and have my mom do it for me. I can't tell the difference in look, just the price :D

I spend about that on a cut and my hairdresser's special shampoo and conditioner (made from essential oils). I'll go to my grave without telling you what I pay for the color. :reject:

I use Aveda :drool:

I fucking LOVE Aveda.

I use to (when I loved in Minnesota) get my hair done at the Aveda Institute. Head massage, great cut...no fear because of the AMAZING instructors, good tea...only $15 a haircut. :drooL

Sorry for using the word fucking, but I feel passionate about Aveda.

bonosgirl84 said:
i think we're gonna need to see some pics, miss lemon :sexywink:

I won't have pics until I'm at Drew's next weekend and we can upload them on his computer. Mine is way too slow. Soon though :flirt:

Zoney--my salon is an Aveda salon and now I'm hooked on their products. So good, but so expensive! :drool:

I haven't cut my hair for two whole years. boy, I can't wait to see the look on the face of the stylist who gets the joy of slicing off them split ends. lol. Actually, my hair has grown so long that I am considering donating it if I decide to hack it off. hmm.

sulawesigirl4 said:
I haven't cut my hair for two whole years. boy, I can't wait to see the look on the face of the stylist who gets the joy of slicing off them split ends. lol. Actually, my hair has grown so long that I am considering donating it if I decide to hack it off. hmm.

Locks of Love :up:

Kris - that's what I always spend on a cut and color, if it's any consolation. From what I know, that's the average at a lot of good salons. To me, I'd rather pay and know that it's going to come out the way I want it to. I used to feel guilty about it, but not anymore. I save money tons of other ways - this is my occasional indulgence!

I cut 14 inches off my hair 2 days after I got back from my honeymoon, and donated it to Locks for Love. It was so nice getting rid of ALL THAT HAIR.

I pay around $60 nowadays just for a shampoo and cut. Then add on about $15 in eyebrow waxing and tips... It's a lot of money for me, but I think that when you get a haircut that is more than just a straight trim around the bottom, you often get what you pay for. I have learned to cut my own bangs, though, so that helps.

I miss my stylist in Oklahoma. About $45 for a haircut and eyebrows, plus she'd always cut and style my hair all crazy and fun. So many times I'd go in and say, just do what you think will look cool. Then, if I ended up not liking it after a few days, she'd redo it for free. She always took the time to show me how to fix it and do fun things with it. Sorry to go on and on, but she was awesome. :up:

zonelistener said:
I use Aveda :drool:

I fucking LOVE Aveda.

I use to (when I loved in Minnesota) get my hair done at the Aveda Institute. Head massage, great cut...no fear because of the AMAZING instructors, good tea...only $15 a haircut. :drooL

Sorry for using the word fucking, but I feel passionate about Aveda.

Aveda is my second choice. I used it when I lived in NYC all the time but it's a little harsh for my hair out here in the desperately dry desert. My hairdresser's line of products doesn't have any detergents in it which is why I prefer it. But I like Aveda as a corporation. If they don't walk their talk, I haven't heard about it yet. :up:

I have to admit I've gotten lucky recently with this...one of my coworkers from Starbucks went to beauty school and she loves doing hair and she only makes me pay for the materials. So in the past few months I've changed my hair alot simply because the cost isn't an issue--but I would pay for hair like this. It's one of those things about being a girl I think, an excellent haircut can make a HUGE difference in how you feel about yourself. I used to never really pay that much attention because I too was worried about the cost. So I think this is an expense you shouldn't feel badly about, it's meant alot to me at least and I don't think I could go back to the way I was....:wink:

If you have the money to do it ( get your hair styled by a pro) without having to eat PB & J for a month , then go for it, especially if it makes you feel good about yourself.:yes:

It's the only thing I do regularly spend good amounts of money on. I have my hair trimmed every 6-8 weeks and I also have highlights. It's costly but it's really nice to maintain my hair as well.

Oh and eyebrows. But that's really cheap, I have an Indian lady who does it for $4!

I've never had my eyebrows done before...I'm so used to plucking them that it doesn't even hurt anymore.

I think the most I've spent on my hair was $250, but that was for a cut, colour, and highlights. Now I just cut my hair myself and use henna because it's too expensive to get long hair cut and coloured and the people who work at salons never know how to handle my hair and always end up tangling it all during the washing and then ripping through the tangles afterwards. :mad:

~LadyLemon~ said:
I've never had my eyebrows done before...I'm so used to plucking them that it doesn't even hurt anymore.

I don't find it painful either, but I don't find leg waxing painful.

I like getting them done b/c I prefer threading to plucking/waxing. Better control, and the girl does in 2 minutes what takes me way longer.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
Honestly, I wouldn't know what's even considered excessive when it comes to hair salons. I haven't had my hair cut by anyone besides my mom and my little sister since 8th grade. :reject:

I'm so BAD at being a girl! :banghead:
:up:

135 $ , ??!!!!????

i pay 14 dollars , once a month , good joint , they wash the hair and put gel on for free ............

:huh: :huh: :huh:
:wink:

About 135-140 is what I pay about every 5 weeks. This doesnt include the products. Women have to get their hair styled. There is just no way around it!:wink: :sexywink:

Back
Top Bottom