I cried today when my mommy left...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_Sweetest_Thing

MacPhisto's serving wench
She drove me back to school today cause I have a stupid dance rehersal. But no one will be back till tomorrow(reading week). I'm basically alone in this big residence. Alone *sigh* And my mom and I had a really nice conversation in the car. Now I'm lonely. So I cried. At the tender age of 19, I don't know whether to be ashamed, or just bored and sad...

aw dont be too sad, interference can keep u happy for a while
biggrin.gif

I know how you feel...everytime my mom and I drive down the strip of highway that leads to South Dakota (where I'm going to school next year) she gets all emotional and is like "some day you'll drive down this road and won't be back for a long time." I know that, and I'm partly excited, but I'm getting scared now to leave my friends and family and go 6 hours away....meh....the collegiate experience calls me!

------------------
Every question possesses a power that does not lie in the answer.

Sorry, after re-reading your post, my reply made no sense, so I deleted it.

[This message has been edited by dipster (edited 03-14-2002).]

Hey there...it will all be ok.
smile.gif
Find some things to keep yourself busy (books, movies?) and you will keep your mind away from sadness. And of course there is always interference....
biggrin.gif

My mom left 2 weeks ago, and I don't know when she's coming back (hopefully soon).

I cried my eyes out when she left...and I was also 19 at the time.

------------------
"Hallelujah, Heaven's white rose,
The doors you open...I just can't close..."

Oh...and when I was 18, there were a couple times my parents dropped me off at university (I had to leave my car at home cuz I didn't think she'd survive the harsh winter at school). I cried when they left...I walked up the sidewalk alongside their car until they left campus and waved until I couldn't see their car anymore.

------------------
"Hallelujah, Heaven's white rose,
The doors you open...I just can't close..."

Originally posted by HelloAngel:
ah! to be young!

But HelloAngel I am 27 and the thought of leaving my mom and dad for a year or two (which I am doing this Sept.) just kills me. Oh the tears that will be shed.... Thank god for telephones and high speed internet!
biggrin.gif
I am not dependent on my parents, but we are such good friends.

I think I am a weirdo. I went to boarding school since age 6 and have lived without my parents off and on since then. In college...they were on the other side of the planet, and I didn't see them for two years.
eek.gif
I love them...but I'm really independent and can go for quite some time without contact. Yeah, definitely a weird one am I.

Me too, Sula.
I went on vacation to my hometown -just with some relatives- but my mom and sister stayed home. I really had a total blast and I never missed them nor thought about calling them. It's odd 'cos instead of missing my mom and sis, I missed the bf and my job
confused.gif

I love being able to be independent.
smile.gif

oh Angel, I hope I didn't sound like I was patronizing you. Of course, missing one's family doesn't make one not independent.
smile.gif
I guess with myself though, having grown up apart from them off and on so much, we have a bit of a different relationship than most parents and children. For one thing, when I was at boarding school and they lived in the jungle, there was no way to communicate quickly...just short-wave radio once every so often and letters every month or two. And when I was in college and they were back in Indonesia we would talk on the phone about every month, but of course the phone connections were poor and pricey, so I have never been used to the idea of just being able to pick up the phone and call them anytime about anything or to drop by and visit them. hehe. So maybe I'm not so much weird as...ummm...different? lol. I actually like living apart from them because then on the occasions we do get to be together, I feel like I appreciate them more. Weird logic.
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
oh Angel, I hope I didn't sound like I was patronizing you.

No, not to worry. See, I am too independent for my own good and always feel the need to explain myself! lol

Sounds like you had a very inetersting childhood. I have a little experience with the 'not being able to just pick up the phone' thing, but only for 5 months. I lived in Russia in '97. If any of you have ever been there you can understand how archaic the phone system can be at times, particularily if you are anywhere outside Moscow! Plus back then, in Russia anyway, email was not much of an option...
I think I have spent way too much time fighting my closeness with my parents and trying to segregate myself from them, but now I just embrace and accept the fact that I am who I am. Won't stop me from moving to Europe this September though!
biggrin.gif

sula:

I am rather familiar with the way you grew up...by that I mean I did the same sort of thing (of course, not at ALL on the same level). When I was young my extended family would "switch" kids. I would go live in Boston with my aunt and uncle and my parents would only have one kid to care for. I lived in San Francisco for a good part of a summer when I was 14, by the end I cried almost everyday 'cos I missed my mom so much
frown.gif
. I can see this fall being filled with some tears when I can't come home for Sunday dinner with my family and do normal things...but such is growing up....

------------------
Every question possesses a power that does not lie in the answer.

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
I love them...but I'm really independent and can go for quite some time without contact.

I don't think it has anything to do with being independent. Believe me on that one! Just ask my mom! lol. I don't think I could be any more independent.
My affection towards them doesn't keep me from following my dreams and going off doing what I want, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss them. It's just a matter of getting used to being away from them and other than five months five years ago... I have always lived in the same city. It's like missing friends, places or whatever. There is nothing wrong with missing people and shedding a tear over it every once in awhile.
Plus I am far past that age where it's uncool to be close to yer parents.
wink.gif

I live with my mom so I never have the chance to miss her. lol But yes, I know the day I move out it'll be a toss up as to who cries more.

------------------
Let her pale light in
To fill up your room

Back
Top Bottom