I confess to feeling actual rage when actual Irish people slag off U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

financeguy

ONE love, blood, life
"Took a drive in the dirty rain, to a place where the wind calls your name

Hallelujah, heavens white rose the doors you open I just can't close."

How can any Irish person slag off the Irish man who came up with THAT? Unless they are stupid and ignorant and base and have no understanding of art or literature or poetry.

"Romantic Ireland's dead and gone, it's with O'Leary in the grave."

It is, you know, it is.

Last edited:
i've actually met quite a few irish people (in ireland, no less) that really hate U2.

what's up with that?

is it like people from canada hating celine dion?

(except that celine dion really deserves it?)

lmjhitman said:
i've actually met quite a few irish people (in ireland, no less) that really hate U2.

what's up with that?

is it like people from canada hating celine dion?

(except that celine dion really deserves it?)

:lol: Best post I've read today.

It very well may be that...Celine Dion sucks. :madspit:

As you said though, she's the only one who deserves it.

I guess it really isn't any stranger than, say, being American and not liking Bruce Springsteen. Just because someone is from the same country as you doesn't mean you are going to love their music, no matter how culturally important they are to your country and how universally beloved they are.

Just for the record, I adore Bruce Springsteen but I also realize plenty of my fellow Americans probably never gave a crap about him and never will because he's just not their cup of tea musically - or maybe they are just plain ignorant. :wink:

Last edited:
I've never been particularly fond of the things/people/whatever I'm "supposed" to like merely because I'm from the same area. I've always thought mere proximity was a piss poor reason to like something or someone. I can imagine others feel the same way. :shrug:

I used to love U2 but now I am pretty indifferent towards them.

None of my friends like them, I don't feel it's strange. I am sure you don't love every Irish band so why should everyone from here love U2. Also, I don't think anything about disliking U2 is similar to what Yeats had to say about the state of Ireland :der:

starsgoblue, people who usually want to go aren't huge fans but wouldn't mind seeing U2, plus a concert means beer and good craic for a lot of Irish people. My friend got tickets purely so she could have a day ou with her boyfriend and his friends. :shrug:

I wasn't 100% serious with this thread but I do see an envy factor in SOME Irish people when they slag off U2. I have no problem with Irish people hating U2's music, everyone has different tastes.

Last edited:
Well, I don't have anything more to add to this thread at the moment. I'll just say:

I agree

that is sufficient for now :|

Lara Mullen said:
I used to love U2 but now I am pretty indifferent towards them.

None of my friends like them, I don't feel it's strange. I am sure you don't love every Irish band so why should everyone from here love U2. Also, I don't think anything about disliking U2 is similar to what Yeats had to say about the state of Ireland :der:

starsgoblue, people who usually want to go aren't huge fans but wouldn't mind seeing U2, plus a concert means beer and good craic for a lot of Irish people. My friend got tickets purely so she could have a day ou with her boyfriend and his friends. :shrug:

Don't tell me these things. I didnt get any tickets and I love them.

hehe, financeguy, i can identify w/ that :hug: (not that i'm irish or anything:wink: )

of course everyone should be able to like what they want to, and geography shouldn't determine that, and blahblahblah...but i still get defensive deep down inside when people slag off u2. :shrug:

People are not necessarily going to like someone because they are from the same country or whatever. I'm from the U.S. South where country music is very popular, and I can't get into country music. I don't have anything against the musicians, some of them are very talented people, I just can't connect with what they're doing.

Back
Top Bottom