I can't swallow pills

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Giant Lemon

Rock n' Roll Doggie
This is pretty dumb, but I was wondering if anyone else is as :coocoo: as me. I have a mental block against swallowing pills- if you gave me an M&M or a grape I could swallow it whole no problem, but put a little pill in my mouth and I freak out. :der: Throughout the years I've resorted to chewing pills (tasty! :barf:) and chopping them up into tiny pieces which is pretty hard to do (or impossible in the case of geltabs). Luckily, I don't have any major medical problems that require me to take pills often, although things weren't pretty when I got my wisdom teeth out last year. Anyway, I've gotten to the point where I can swallow pills whole but only with a mouthful of food. Hopefully I won't encounter any "do not take with food" medications any time soon.

So how :crazy: am I?

omg!

I am SO glad you posted this because I am the exact same... the only pill i can SOMETIMES swallow is sudifed. I feel like such a baby sometimes but I have to chew all my pills. Don't you hate it how some of them burn your throat?
Thanks for confessing!
I am guilty 2!

~Jessica

I used to be like that too...I'd put it on my mouth, drink some water, but I just couldn't get the sucker down. I learned though. Sometimes I wish I hadn't! ;)

I cant swallow pills either- I chew them up too :eeklaugh: but when I had a kidney infection i swalled them cus they were tiny but big funny shaped painkillers....no chance!

when I was younger, I coudn't swallow pills at all either...my mom used to have a heck of a time giving me any medicine that was in pill form when I was a kid...I remember she even tried grinding up medicine and putting it in my drink or in my food, but I'd still be able to tell it was there and start gaging on it!

Finally, one day, I was able to get a pill down, and now they go down just fine...I remember how happy I was :cute:...which is good, since I have to take 4 pills a day now :|

Last edited:
You're not :coocoo: at all. My wife cannot swallow pills at all (she has a choking phobia). There are a couple of things you can do to avoid chewing pills :)barf:), though. If you're getting prescription medication, ask the doctor if there is a children's version available. These are generally liquid or chewable. There are also a couple of over-the-counter pain medications available that aren't in pill form. Look for liquid Tylenol or Excedrin Quick Tabs (they melt on your tongue). Both of these should be available at your local drugstore in the pain reliever aisle, though you may need to ask for help finding them.

daisybean said:
It's not dumb...it's actually quite common. It's like having a fear of needles.
Neeeeeeeeeeeeeedles! :no: :crazy:

Whereas pills...:hmm:.....I used to have problems with swallowing them, now that's no problem anymore :ohmy:.....

I used to be like that too. I find that putting water in your mouth, tilting your head back and then putting the pill in your mouth makes it easy. With gel capsuls you put your head forward cos they float.

i used to be like that too, up until like last year really. i started small. first, i started trying to swallow small pills (which are the only ones i take really) like sinus pills and my birth control pill. :silent:

before that, i used to have to get everything in liquid (nasty!!! only liquid amoxicillin tastes good, like bubblegum) or chew them. luckily, for the most part, i could avoid taking pills altogether. i'd found a nasal spray migraine medicine, i'd use a nasal spray for my allergies, and just chew that damn birth control pill.

i've occasionally had to take bigger pills, like antibiotics. ugh! :yuck: and now i have to take three pills a day. two for migraines (they prevent them) and the pill. then, i take nasal spray for my allergies, not because i can't take a pill, but because it's the one that covers the most allergies (like smoke).

I can take small pills without any liquid at all.

And I take big old horse pill vitamins easily with liquid.

You just open your throat. Come on.. most girls know how to do that. :sexywink:

* scandalizing myself *

I dont belong in this thread

i can take small pills without water sometimes too. on the other hand when it comes to those big-ass horsepills, i gag on them.
7 years ago i was taking those vitamins for pregnant women, and those pills are friggen HUGE! i ended up throwing up a couple of times because of them.

Sicy said:
I can take small pills without any liquid at all.

And I take big old horse pill vitamins easily with liquid.

You just open your throat. Come on.. most girls know how to do that. :sexywink:

* scandalizing myself *

I dont belong in this thread

I have no trouble either :sexywink:

ThatGuy said:
...Look for liquid Tylenol....

Liquid Tylenol is the worst :yuck:

My mom tried giving me that instead of taking pills...I hate cherry flavor :barf:

To this day, I can't eat anything with that fake cherry flavor without gagging...and when I go to the dentist and they clean my teeth, I have to make sure to ask them to use the mint flavor and NOT the cherry flavor, and they're all like "but everyone loves cherry!" :no:

Don't get me wrong...I love real cherries...just not that liquid tylenol cherry flavor :lol: :|

Well it is that time of the year,

so I am making a list of who's naughty

and who's nice.

Wait a minute,

I got the same names on both lists. Oh yeah, right :sexywink:

You'll have to be careful about chopping some pills up, as some prescriptions have a time-release formula. Chewing them up ruins that time-release, and, instead, you inappropriately get a very high dose all at once.

<--have swallowed 10+ large gel caps at once. :huh:

Melon

ThatGuy said:
You're not :coocoo: at all. My wife cannot swallow pills at all (she has a choking phobia). There are a couple of things you can do to avoid chewing pills :)barf:), though. If you're getting prescription medication, ask the doctor if there is a children's version available. These are generally liquid or chewable. There are also a couple of over-the-counter pain medications available that aren't in pill form. Look for liquid Tylenol or Excedrin Quick Tabs (they melt on your tongue). Both of these should be available at your local drugstore in the pain reliever aisle, though you may need to ask for help finding them.

I have that choking phobia it happened when I was 10 and my tonsils became infected and i had tonsilitis every 3 months and they were like golf balls everyone looked down my throat at the time and yeh I couldnt eat without things touching the tonsils and i thought I was choking so all i ate was semolina for like a year until i was brought to the doctor and they took them out really quickly cus i losta lot of weight but to this day I have my choking phobia still

:crazy:

You girls here are scandilising me :wave: :ohmy:

I can't swallow pills either, no matter how hard I try. I take Centrum vitamins (mainly because of the zinc because it's supposed to help my psoriasis) and I have to put them in a glass of water and wait for them to dissolve and then drink the water and dissolved vitamin really quick before I have a chance to taste it. (It's like swallowing sand - yuck!)

I'm afraid of needles too - I'm such a wuss!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom