I am unable to eat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yertle-the-turtle

ONE love, blood, life
vegetables.

I have some gag reflex against almost all vegetables (excepting potatoes). I just can't eat them without feeling the need to regurgitate everything. It's been like this for years and years.

I have no idea why. I build up my fibre requirement with loads of fruits, but for the life of me I cannot down vegetables.

What the hell is wrong with me?

LOL. Potatoes are the only vegie I do gag on.

1. Were you force feed vegetables as a child?
2. Do you have some mental problems that require addressing?
3. Are you allergic to everything?
4. Can you drink vegetable juice?
5. Can you eat foods with vegies in them eg casseroles and soups?
6. Can you eat raw vegies eg carrots and capsicums?
7. How are the vegies prepared / cooked?

hmm, so if you can drink juice, its not the taste thats the problem.

But if you cant eat them cooked all manner of ways then texture is not the problem either.

So you cant eat them:
1. raw
2. steamed
3. stirfried
4. boiled
5. tempura
6. baked
7. marinated
8. cooked with cheesy sauce on top?

Well I've never tried baked veggies or veggies cooked with cheesy sauce, but that does cover most of the bases.

Could possibly be the fact I never did eat veggies growing up, but I don't know.

My husband grew up in Malaysia and Taiwan and never ate vegies growing up either. I have a hard time getting him to eat any. Do you have a sweet tooth? My hubby has a much sweeter tooth than the average Australian. I think he finds a lot of vegies bland. Corn is really sweet. Do you like corn?

My husband can eat vegies if they are covered in cheese. I personally find that disgusting but I guess better vegies with cheese than no vegies at all.

Cauliflower, potato, pumpkin, parsnips, carrots, any of the heavier vegies that can be baked. ie not the watery vegies. (cabbage, lettuce, spinach, capsicum)

Use a heavy cheese like cheddar.

A honey glaze on carrots is quite sweet too.

What about peas and beans? I think they taste better still in their pods. I hate boiled shelled peas.

Maybe stir fry some whole snowpeas, and mushrooms, in a sweet soy sauce like ketchup manis :drool:

I only like salad, green beans, corn and occasionally peas and broccoli. But that's about it. Everything else :barf:

I'm the opposite - I don't like fruit because I don't really like very sweet things.

Veggies? :drool:

If you like potatoes and sweet things, you'd probably like yams.

i love veggies and hate fruits. but i have a sweet tooth :eyebrow:

try carrots too. they've got an extremely high sugar content. i used them once in lieu of sugar in my spaghetti sauce, didn't even need the sugar! :love: carrots :love:

I have a problem when friends around me eat smelly( smells bad to me NOT them) and raw ( looks raw to me NOT them) non-vegetarian food..and I think I would throw up any moment..

:barf:

It happens every friday as we colleagues go out for food.. I order veg dishes..only...

I do eat non-veg food but only when its cooked properly and it doesnt smell bad.... rarely.... I guess.

I like veggie stuff :drool: MINUS corn and mushroom and fruits.
Properly cooked chicken and fish is also ok ...

I live on vegetables....and fruit. :drool: I can't eat onions :barf: and I hate banana's but otherwise I'll eat any fruits or veggies. But I don't eat meat so I guess I cant' be too picky with anything else or I'd starve :)

Turtle does your family buy fresh vegetables or frozen ones?
If they're fresh, are they always bought at the same place?
I mean no offence with the next question, but does the person who does most of the cooking in your household really scrub them clean before cooking them?
I'm just wondering if the gag reflex is caused by a psychosomatic reaction or if it is triggered by something in your 'gut' objecting to it - hence the questions about where it's bought and grown. All the good bacteria in your intestine might have some kind of adverse reaction to an opposing type found on the veges you get. It's odd that it's nearly all vegetables you have this with.
Do you have Yakult over your way? Try that for a month, a little bottle once a day, with no vegetables in the meantime. Let your body recover then try a brand new market or shop and rinse them as best you can. try and steam them which will kill any foreign germs while keeping all the good stuff and see if that helps?

Do you dislike the taste overall of most veges?

I really love vegetables. I never put anything on them though so I have no suggestions about how to hide the flavour if that is part of the problem. Gravy is good with carrots and parsnips though.

I also love mushrooms, brocolli and carrots. Mushy peas are nice too as well as cauliflour. Oh and turnip. We were made to eat vegetables when we were younger, we didn't have a choice in the matter and now I really like them. My Dad always told us the story about how he liked vegtables and it was because one day his Granny made them all go running and when he got back he was so hungry he ate a whole plate of cabbage and didn't complain, he had the theory that if we got that hungry we'd eat all our vegetables.

I like to make vegetable soup, I buy the vegetables in a pack but add a lot more, onions, extra carrots, leek. When I'm finished cooking it I love to blend it, it tastes really nice. Maybe you could try that? :hmm:

Back
Top Bottom