I am starting to have conversations w. Dr. Phil in my head!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs. Edge

Bono's Belly Dancing Friend
I think I may be going :crazy:.

The obsession with my eating is getting worse. I am CONSTANTLY monitoring everything that goes in my mouth, and how it will affect my carb/fat/protein ratio, and will it be enough for X amount of exercise, and what my weekly average of calories is, etc etc. I keep scouring the net for more nutritional information.

I was on a great track, having lost 6.5lbs, but now I've gained 2 back for NO good reason. So as I was walking to work fuming about this, suddenly, who should barge into my head, but Dr. Phil!! :ohmy: I have maybe watched one of his shows in my entire life! :scratch:

Dr. Phil: You know, you can't keep measuring your effectiveness as a person by numbers. You can't be "good" when the numbers go down and "bad" when they go up. You are who you are. You are not a number.

Me: Yeah yeah...:rolleyes:

D.P.: Are you a good friend, and do you love people and have them love you back

Me: Yeah, but that's not the point. The point is that there is something WRONG WITH ME! I NEED to get back to my February weight, if I can't I am a total failure. I can't understand what's going on!

D.P.: You need to get rid of the scale and stop obsessing. There are so many more productive things you could be doing. I mean LOOK AT YOU! You are sitting in the office with tears in your eyes, because of what might just be water weight!!!!

Me: (understanding mentally, but not actually absorbing this enough to believe it) Whatever.....

:sigh:

Last edited:
Try to stop thinking about food, etc, and instead channel that time towards exercise. Like, instead of stressing about every bite, think about going for a long walk when you get home or doing an ab workout. I'll be hard to loose weight and keep it off without exercise anyway. If you know you're going to exercise, then you don't have to worry as much about every calorie.

:(

We've talked about this before Jess...you are so much more than numbers on a scale or a dress size. You've really helped me see that about myself and I wish there was a way you could start believing it about yourself too. :hug:

I can relate to what you're going through. Over the past year, I've gained about 15 to 20 pounds. It's a good thing really--I'm less stressed, so I'm able to eat more, and some of it is muscle from the yoga and walking I've been doing. Mentally, though, it's hard to put on a dress or some jeans that I love and not have them fit right anymore. We have it drilled into our heads that the smaller the size, the better. So even though I look so much healthier, I've had to battle negative thoughts about just being bigger.

Moderation is best. It's just as unhealthy to think about food and weight all the time as it is to never pay attention to it. I know it's hard to accept one's body, and attempts to change the way we look can be maddening. In the end, as long as we're happy and reasonably healthy, that's what's important.

And besides, I find that when it comes to guys, most would rather have a girl with some curves who'll split a hot fudge sundae with them than someone who looks like a stick. :D

Awww :hug: Thanks guys.

You know, the strange thing is that I am not particularly bothered by how I look. I think I look pretty good actually, the picture of health. I am also in the perfect weight and BMI range for my height. I have increased muscle tone from all the cycling, and all my clothes fit. My measurements are pretty much the same as they have always been.

As for men, I agree...the bigger I get the happier Paul gets and he loves it when I eat. I am only too happy to oblige...and that's a problem! :uhoh:

What bugs me is that there is one dress I could wear last year that is too tight right now. It's not that I care so much about the dress, but it's the principle of the thing!!! AND, this weight gain. I am literally 9lbs heavier now than I was a year ago, and 5lbs heavier than I was in February. The thing that bugs me is there is no good reason for this weight gain. Why would this happen when I haven't really done anything different, in fact my habits have IMPROVED? If I at least knew the answer I could deal with it and go from there....I wouldn't feel so utterly frustrated and upset.

The irony of all this is that my weight gain started the second I started training for cycling and watching my diet!!! I spent time over the Xmas holidays with Paul, ate everything that came my way and I was just fine. :huh: :shrug:

Last edited:
I went through an agonizing weight gain experience some years ago. I gained a good thirty pounds. I didn't start losing weight until January 2003. Now all that weight is gone, and I feel great. It was worth all the hassle with the discipline and such.

Even if you diet and you do a lot of cardio (like cycling, running/jogging, rollerblading), you need to really get into strength training to start to maximize your weight loss, because of the differences in how many calories muscle burns vs. how many fat burns when you are stationary.

I have a very weak spot for carbs and sugar. I have found it helpful to guzzle down Diet Coke or some such, with only 3 calories and no sugar, it feels sweet, but it's not contributing to caloric intake. Weight training really does help tons, though.

ILuvLarryMullen said:
maybe the weight you've gained is muscle, muscle does weigh more than fat afterall.

i agree! :up:

plus you are in a NEW relationship and you are probably pretty happy. that might explain a couple of pounds. but if everything else is fitting fine, maybe your body is just changing its shape a little.

are you a shapeshifter??? :sexywink:

and you know you are the right size for me...:flirt:

i cant even make up a joke about this..... :hmm:, I'm losing it.......

I feel your pain. :hug: I tend to value my self-worth by my weight, too, even though I know that's not completely rational.

Scales are evil, they just cause trouble. Get rid of it! I agree with everyone else that you've gained muscle. :yes:

Hi guys! :wave:

Thank you for all the understanding comments. :hug:

I have been entertaining cydewaze for the past couple of days so I'm just checking in. :D

The truth is, my measurements are pretty much the same as they have always been (I have been thinner than I am now, but also heavier) so since I'm not doing much differently from normal, I am putting it down to a slowing metabolism. ;)

Now that I have the bicycle, hopefully I will get more riding in, and I will try to do more weights too....but yeah, I like that increased muscle theory too, :hmm: that might be playing a role. I am definitely a little more toned than I used to be.

This weekend I had ICE CREAM!!! :drool: There are certain things I am not giving up and I don't care HOW fat I get. I am sick of being a slave to the numbers, so I quit! HA!!!!

Last edited:
Okay, seriously? I wish Dr Phil would tell me to put down the snacks every once in a while and get my rear to the gym. I have been ignoring my conscience for about 2 months now. I think I am done ignoring it and going back to the gym!

I :heart: Dr. Phil. :D

((Jess)) Use that new relationship to work off some extra calories, too! :kiss:

It's sad that this is a constant battle for so many of us. I wish I had something comforting to say! :sigh:

Back
Top Bottom