I am in a slump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BGD75

War Child
It's been an emotional roller-coaster for me. Moved to a new country (Germany) 2 months ago, trying to master the new language, leaving all of my friends behind, getting used to different surrounding has been tough. I know it was my choice to *start a new chapter in my life* but still ... some days are really hard...

Hey :hug:
Care to tell why you moved to Germany?

And maybe I can help you a little with your German. I know it's a difficult language.

Don't worry, things will be ok very soon, it just takes some time to settle into a totally new surroundings, some people are quicker with that and others need more time.

Life in general can bring some pretty rough times, nevermind what happens when you uproot yourself and start off fresh in an entirely new place. I don't blame you for feeling down at times. Try to remember your reasons for moving to Germany and enjoy the positive aspects of it. It will take time to get adjusted, but if this is truly what you want, you can make it work. Good luck with everything!

As Bono sings "Some days are better than others". Life has its ups and downs so I say go with the flow. A hug for you and I hope things look up for you so that you are happier :hug: but there's lots of fellow Interferencers here willing to listen :wave:

:hug: for each and every one of you. You are all so supportive and awesome (but I guess, one should not expect less from u2 fans!)

To answer last unicorn's question: I moved to Germany because I missed life in Europe. I was born in Europe and spent first half of my life in Europe (not in Germany, tho). But last 15 years I was in North America, and I simply couldn't do it anymore. It just wasn't what i wanted from life and I couldn't imagine being there another 10, 15 or more years. So I decided to pick up my life and move on. That's how i got here!

mhh, okay Europe and North America are different, but european countries are not all the same. I mean, even if we have small distances between countries (it takes me less than 30 min to visit 3 countires), there are sometimes huge differences.
I dunno, where you lived before, but maybe you should move to where you were born? :shrug:
btw, in which city are you living now? maybe just move to another city? ;)

Do you still have family/friends in the place you were born, people you feel connected to? Because I think this would be a great place to start. Maybe you should move closer to where you come from and where you have spend so many years of your life, like achtung_girl said. Europe IS big and very diverse, you cannot really compare one country to the other.

Hey :hug:
Care to tell why you moved to Germany?

And maybe I can help you a little with your German. I know it's a difficult language.

yeah, I can help with the language too. Unicorn with her little accent and me with my 'do I have an accent?'-syndrome.....:lmao:

*sorry*

I think having moved to a totally different country with another language and culture (and a rather strange one as well ;)) it's perfectly normal that even after two months you haven't really gotten down and feel a bit weird about it.
Have you tried to find a circle of some other foreigners living in your area to meet with them and get some help?
And yeah, it would be interesting where exactly you have moved to.

yeah, I can help with the language too. Unicorn with her little accent and me with my 'do I have an accent?'-syndrome.....:lmao:

*sorry*

:tsk: Yes, I know my German isn't perfect. But if I try hard enough, I can speak real German that even you German people can understand.

:wink:

And I think VV is right: 2 months is really NO time. I'm moving into a new appartment right now, I mean I'm staying in the same city, and still it will take me half a year to get used to the new surroundings. I think you really should be a little patient with yourself, it's a big step you've taken and things like that simply take time.

And I think VV is right: 2 months is really NO time. I'm moving into a new appartment right now, I mean I'm staying in the same city, and still it will take me half a year to get used to the new surroundings. I think you really should be a little patient with yourself, it's a big step you've taken and things like that simply take time.

:yes:

I have always lived in the same state, but just moving to different cities has been a huge adjustment. I can't imagine how it would have been if I'd gone to a different country, with a different language on top of it all. It will definitely take time.

Don´t worry, you will get used to live there :D changes are always hard at the beggining and trust me it will pass :yes:

I admire people who are capable of pick up their stuff and leave! I couldn´t do that, because of my family and mainly because of the money :lol: there are not many opprotunities to do that here :lol:

:hug: I spent a year abroad a few years ago and after three months, and a trip home, things got a lot easier. I'm sure they will for you too. Two months is not a long time.

I have just moved abroad again and this time I'm finding that I'm settling in well. I don't speak the language though and it is very frustrating. I hate relying on someone to translate for me all the time and sometimes feel a bit left out. The neighbours will only speak to my boyfriend and completely blank me. This happens frequently in shops too. Lots of foreigners here have said they get by without learning the language but I don't know how they manage it to be honest.

Back
Top Bottom