I Am Already Planning to Quit the Job I Just Started a Month Ago

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pax

ONE love, blood, life
See my sig? Okay. August 31, 2006 is the date by which I plan to have quit the job I just started last month.

My reasoning: I already know I do not want to do this wotrk for the rest of my life. I want to go back to school or else write full-time, one or the other. I wouldn't mind continuing to do editorial work on a part-time, freelance basis, but I can't be defined by it, at least not the kind of editorial work I'm doing now (educational/technical publishing).

I don't know yet exactly what I'd go back to school for (either English/literature or philosophy/ethics, possibly gender or rhetoric and comp studies). I don't know where I'll go (a lot of that will depend on the other countdown in my sig, LOL). But I know I need out of here, and while I'm happy to bide my time, lay low, and do good work, I also know that without a deadline I might languish forever and become like my dad...twentysome years later, stuck in a job he has come to despise because he's so specialized that he can't do anything else.

Does this make sense?

Pax, It makes sense to me. If you know you don't want to do this for the rest of your life then you shouldn't. (You'll only start hating the job. Believe me, I know how it feels.) Even though you don't know what you'll do next. I think you'll find out what you want when that time comes.

I wish I had the guts to go back to school. My degree sucks. There's only one thing I want to be doing, and I let being too worried about money stop me from getting the degree I really wanted.

Good luck, pax. :hug:

meegannie said:
I'm really envious. I wish I could do what I really want. :slant:
me too. i wish i could also figure out what it is i want to do. i'm 21, at what point am i going to figure this out? i should be graduating in two months but instead i'm doing a job i hate.

KhanadaRhodes said:

me too. i wish i could also figure out what it is i want to do. i'm 21, at what point am i going to figure this out? i should be graduating in two months but instead i'm doing a job i hate.

Well, Khan, I have 20 years on you, and I still don't quite know exactly what I want to do with my life. :huh:

I do have a couple of things I'm working on that I'm really enjoying, but I'm not sure they will ever work into a full time occupation.

indra said:
Well, Khan, I have 20 years on you, and I still don't quite know exactly what I want to do with my life. :huh:

I do have a couple of things I'm working on that I'm really enjoying, but I'm not sure they will ever work into a full time occupation.
yeah i know how you feel. unfortunately i'm not doing anything that i enjoy. i can't even see how i could turn any of my hobbies into a career. i like to cook but i wouldn't want to become a chef or even own a restaurant. i like to listen to music but i don't know how to play any instruments and besides, that's one career field i wouldn't want to enter.

Thank you to everyone for your kind words. :) It makes me feel a lot better (along with imagining handing in my resignation letter, LOL).

martha said:
My policy has always been never be good at a job you don't like. You'll be stuck in it and miserable.

I know what you mean. It's tough for me, because I have a pretty deep-seated need to be liked by authority figures, and so I want to do my work well and have my supervisors be happy with it. But at the same time, I feel, sitting here (at work) like I want to be *just* good enough at it. I'm not interested in advancing in this company, becoming a project editor or a managing editor...I just want to go home at 4:45 and be done with it.

One of my old profs took 2 years off and worked in between her undergrad and her Ph.D., and that's what I'm finding myself drawn to...which is funny, because I started college wanting to do that, but when I finished I wasn't sure. My former profs will be really pleased if I go back to school (I've stayed in touch with many of them). :)

pax said:

One of my old profs took 2 years off and worked in between her undergrad and her Ph.D., and that's what I'm finding myself drawn to...which is funny, because I started college wanting to do that, but when I finished I wasn't sure. My former profs will be really pleased if I go back to school (I've stayed in touch with many of them). :)

:up:
I took two years off between my undergrad and postgraduate degrees. A lot of unversities prefer applicants who've taken a year or more out to work to those who are applying while still students.

Back
Top Bottom