I am afraid of having children.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2loopy

War Child
I am too much of a coward to have children. It's not the physical aspect of giving birth that scares me. It's raising them in this society.

I am terrified of them being hurt, or getting in trouble, or losing them.
I am afraid of them becoming addicted to drugs and overdosing.
I don't think my heart could take it if I found out someone was bullying or picking on my child.
When I hear tragic stories (kidnappings, murders)I refuse to even think of having children. I'm a big coward.

I don't have the guts to have children.

Sorry, is this too heavy for such a light-hearted board???

I feel the same way. But add to that that I'm terrified of the actual "having" them part too. Pregnancy and birth sound terrifying and I think I'll adopt if I ever decide to have kids.

I don't want childern either, but only cuz I don't think the world needs more of me
wink.gif

------------------
Daisy

~*~We are one, but we're not the same
We've got to carry each other~*~

AIM:daisyone75

Having kids is terrifying--the physical part, the having no clue what to do with them part (or maybe that's just me
smile.gif
), the expenses, the growing up in this world part, etc. I think I'm too emotionally immature to have kids, and I'd be scared they'd end up like me.

[This message has been edited by meegannie (edited 05-24-2002).]

I have never had a desire to have children, although I am hoplelessly in love with sisters' kids. That's enough for me.

sula...after watching videos of friends giving birth...well, I bow in humble respect to any woman who can go through that! I have a pretty high threshold for pain, but, man oh man...I really don't want to be tested on that if I don't have to be. But my main reason is that I just don't think I'd be a very good mother.

Proud aunt story: my 6 year old neice was talking about some paper dolls she'd seen for the 'Queen of the Dolphins.' It took my sister and me about 10 minutes to realize she was talking about Diana, Princess of Wales. So precious I can hardly stand it!

i know where you are coming from u2loopy, it is a frightening world we are living in and i think i'd be the kind of mom that would be a 'worry-freak' about the kiddies.

besides i have no experience with kids at all, i am in my late 20s and i've never even changed a diaper! i don't mind toddlers, but infants freak me out!

------------------
Is it getting hot in here or is it just ADAM??
*+*MaRiA*+*

Originally posted by sparkys girl:

besides i have no experience with kids at all, i am in my late 20s and i've never even changed a diaper! i don't mind toddlers, but infants freak me out!

Me too--I don't even know how to properly hold a baby. I would give birth and then have no idea what to do after that. And sometimes when babies cry, they make the cutest faces, and it makes me laugh and I have to leave the room.

Everyone's fears and anxieties here are NORMAL!
smile.gif
Its good you can talk about them...

I was not a 'baby' person growing up. I didn't babysit or anything...no experience whatsoever..
However I was very lucky to have married a man who was a teen-ager when his little brother was born...and he helped out with him (no sisters in the family!
smile.gif
...so Dad at least had experience. It was kind of funny..'don't hold him with his fact to the wind...he can't breath!" Don't give him ice cold water to drink...it will give him a stomach ache! After some bumbling it got easier...so by the time number two and three came along...I was an old pro. Not a whole lot to taking care of kids. that first baby is now a healthy well adjusted 19 year old now...

You do worry a lot with the first one...but you become more laid back the more you have. My 11 year old has a lot more freedom than his older brother and sister had because mom has learned to RELAX!
smile.gif

dream wanderer

[This message has been edited by dream wanderer (edited 05-24-2002).]

Basically my thoughts are this:

I dont want to be pregnant.
I dont want to have to quit all my terrible habits (drinking, smoking).
I dont want to give birth.
I dont have patience.
I dont want to lose my freedom.
I dont want to listen to a screaming baby in the middle of the night.
And lastly,
I dont want to spend my entire life and finances raising a kid that will most likely grow up to be a shit ( because of society now a days ), call me a bitch, and run away from home.

I'm sure if I had one I would love it but I dont so I wont.

I'm scared about what kind of world it will be like for them growing up.

But I "know" I'll have kids... some day long from now lol, like Sicy said the loss of freedom is a really scary thing!

------------------
trysomebuysomefiefivefoursome
*Take Me Take Me Higher*

Originally posted by Sicy:

I dont have patience.
And lastly,
I dont want to spend my entire life and finances raising a kid that will most likely grow up to be a shit ( because of society now a days ), call me a bitch, and run away from home.

Me too. And what annoys me is people always telling me, "Oh, you'll change your mind once you meet someone."

Maybe I will, cause it's not like I hate kids, I really don't, I just don't have a lot of experience with them. Guess time will tell, but for now you said it perfectly sis.

------------------
Let's pray for something
To feel good in the morning

I dont have patience.
And lastly,

except for the fact that i dont smoke...i said the same things too the week before i found out i was pregnant. i was at a family reunion when a friend asked me why i didnt want any children. i told her that i didnt want the responsibility of raising any children at all. next week rolls around...found out i was with child. boy, let me tell you, i was hysterical with fear!
scary to raise my daughter in this world...very scary indeed. the hardest part for me being that i am responsible for teaching her morals, rights, and wrongs...stuff like that. i just do the best i can. i dont regret having her in my life at all. daisy is the best thing that has ever happened to me. will i have other children? i hope not. but i can't say the same thing i did before. sometimes we say we dont want things in our lives and life just has a way of turning out different sometimes.
(edited for sp.)
------------------
you've got to cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice..

[This message has been edited by nellie (edited 05-24-2002).]

research shows that 86% of Interference members shouldn't be allowed to become parents anyway

so don't worry

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

I dont have patience.
And lastly,

Yeah, I agree with all this too, except for the smoking and drinking part (well, I do drink, but very little.) If I were pregnant I would be terrified to go anywhere, do anything, eat or drink anything for fear of what it would do to the baby, etc etc. And then, even if the kid is born safe and healthy--did I mention that pain terrifies me?--that's just the beginning!

------------------
See the bird with the leaf in her mouth
After the flood all the colours came out

oh yeah, i forgot to mention the pain of childbirth...it was painful but i didnt do the labor, i did the c-section. i had only one epidural, and that didn't even help. i still felt them cutting me open. imagine that pain. i am allergic to pain meds too, so you can imagine what my recovery was like. i had a seizure, and a blood transfusion. ahhhh the joys of giving birth...

------------------
you've got to cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice..

Originally posted by Salome:
research shows that 86% of Interference members shouldn't be allowed to become parents anyway

so don't worry

That's an outdated study, it' actually 93 percent

Having kids IS scary, very, very scary. Not the act of giving birth, that's temporary pain, but the everyday responsibilities of raising kids in this world. I had my first son at 18 and the second at 20 and I could not have more unprepared, both times. I never considered not having them but I did not automatically take to motherhood and I feel like my older son paid the price. We really didn't bond when he was a baby and I had a lot of problems with him as a toddler and little boy. I loved him but I didn't know how to be a mom.

Things were better with my second son and we are very, very close but I still feel guilty about my lack of closeness with my older boy.

I don't regret having my boys for a second and I love them more than anything in this world, but I wasn't planning on getting pregnant with either of them and I can't say that I would have had kids at all if it hadn't happened by accident. I'm a selfish person by nature and there were times when I resented my loss of freedom. I never blamed them because it wasn't their fault but it made me feel like a really bad mother.

I have the utmost respect for any woman who can say she does not want kids. It takes a lot of guts. The desire for children is not there for some women (and men) and no one should be made to feel guilty about that. And admitting you are afraid is nothing to be ashamed of.

I have noticed that among a lot of my friends in their 20's, the desire to have kids is not there and many of them had told me that they don't ever plan to. The are under so much pressure from their friends and families and I think that is so wrong.

One of my best friends is 27 and the youngest in a very large Italian Catholic family. She's been married for almost 4 years and her family refuses to believe that she seriously does not want to have kids, ever. Her mom thinks she will change her mind someday but after babysitting her brothers and sisters kids for the past 15 years, she is very, very sure that she doesn't want babies. I support her 100%.

Every day when my boys leave the house, I worry if they will get hit by a car, kidnapped, beaten up, use drugs, get drunk, fall off their skateboards, get in a car accident, get a girl pregnant or one of the million other things that can happen to kids these days. The first time a girl broke my older son's heart and I heard him crying, it tore me to pieces. When my younger son was in danger of being held back in the 8th grade, he broke down and cried with so much sadness, my heart broke for him. It is so stressful at times, I can't even begin to tell you.

The bottom lines is, if you are not ready to give up your freedom and devote 100% of yourself to a child, you shouldn't have one. The things Sicy listed are very valid reasons for not having kids. And you are not a coward Lucy, you're realistic about the world we live in. Its your life and your body and you are the only one who can decide if and when, if ever, you are ready for kids.

[This message has been edited by Bono's American Wife (edited 05-25-2002).]

Originally posted by Salome:

so don't worry

I hope I fall into the other 14% (or 7% depending on which study you subscribe to...

------------------
She's gonna dream up a world she wants to live in / She's gonna dream out loud.
Visit my web page at www.u2page.com

Originally posted by Crzy4Bono:
I hope I fall into the other 14% (or 7% depending on which study you subscribe to...

....and OUR genes shall inherit the earth
tongue.gif

Seriously, it's really not as scary as some of you make it sound. You just have the kid, and it becomes another person in your life. It's not a burden or a prison sentence or a ball and chain. I have raised my kids not as baggage but as friends and I love them. They are getting older now and I'm SO glad I had them when I did! (I'm 40, they are 15 and 12) Of all the hideous mistakes I have made in my life, this was NOT one of them. Just because you have kids doesn't mean you are tied down. I have taken mine on cross country trips, hiking adventures and yes, U2 concerts!!

As far as the pain, it's not so bad and it doesn't last long. I remember when I was 6 months pregnant I came out of the Dr.'s office after an appt. and had a crying fit of terror in my car. I thought, well, no matter what happens now, it's going to hurt, and it's going to be gross. I was so scared! Then I went into the Kmart to walk around and I heard voices calling 'Mommy!' "MOM" and "Grandma!" and every time a woman answered. It hit me- almost all ladies are 'mom' and most of them gave birth, they are alive and healthy and normal and it's okay! It's meant to be, it happens every day, animals have babies in the woods and no one tells them when to push. It helped me, and I stopped being scared.

Having a human being who is part of you that you will have and to keep is worth it. They might grow up to be something you hate, but then again, they could just be your best friend, your confidant and your 'comfort in your old age.' It's a chance like anything else, but of course only take it if you want to. I was just thinking that so many of you who said you didn't want kids were such cool, smart people and what fun parents you'd make for some kid, while so many sorry asses out there who have no business with kids are breeding like rabbits. What's to become of this world, oh woe. What can you do.

This is just my experience and I thought I needed to tell it since I'm so old. I am not trying to change anyone's mind. I just didn't want the fear of pain or being held down to stop you because those things really aren't as bad as they look from a distance. If you really feel you don't want kids, then don't have them, because if you had them to please someone else you might resent them and that's now how it's supposed to be. I have seen people have them just for the sake of having them, and spend no time with them and really not like them. I knew a girl who worked at a day care center and she said kids were regularly picked up at 6 PM then dropped back off at 6 AM in the same shitty diapers they had when they left and the same gum in their hair for days. Those people didn't want those kids. They shouldn't have had them. I'm not saying any of you would do that of course but it did change my mind because I used to think everyone should have kids but I don't anymore. I understand how everyone feels. My husband's sister said she didn't want them because she up and admitted she was 'too selfish.' Well, okay. I'll buy that a whole lot more than the 'not ready' line. From what I've seen, those who always say they are 'not ready' never will be because if they feel like a kid will hold you back financially/emotionally/fun-wise or for whatever reason they feel they want to wait to be 'burdened' and look at having a kid around that way will probably never enjoy being a parent, so just give it up. I admire everyone here who has just laid it on the line and admitted their basic facts and feelings. If you want them have them and if you don't feel it's for you that's okay too. Maybe you were destined for other things. Don't worry, Edge, Bono, Larry, Crzy and I will repopulate the earth
wink.gif

------------------
"I've been all over,
and it's been all over me!"

[This message has been edited by GypsyHeartgirl (edited 05-25-2002).]

[This message has been edited by GypsyHeartgirl (edited 05-25-2002).]

kids are nice....when you're paid to watch them and you can call their parents home when they cry.
biggrin.gif

No, look at it this way...kids are your chance to create life that will not be idiots....that's how i see it (next to the love and the fulfillment and the yadda yadda yadda).

------------------
Rebel with a cause....and a red car.

I'm afraid to bring a child into this world...things are messed up, and I fear I wouldn't be able to give them as great of a life as my parents gave to me. John and I have discussed this a lot. When we become financially stable though, we will consider having a child or perhaps adopting one...I'm afraid of not being able to support a child financially.

i feel the same way as most of the people here. I don't want kids, at least in the foreseeable future.
loss of freedom, raising them in this awful world, i just cant justify it. sometimes i think people have kids because they think they should, or to fulfill a selfish need. i'm not saying all people who have kids are like that, so please dont flame me. i just wanna be sure that if/when i do it, it's for the right reasons.

Back
Top Bottom