I am afraid I will be unemployed after college.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pax

ONE love, blood, life
I have taken to scanning my favorite job boards on a near-daily basis, although it is only February. I have already applied for at least 15 or 20 jobs. I am starting to worry that I'm going nuts. All this applying, all this rewriting of my cute little resume...and I am only facing my SECOND interview in the coming weeks.

Yes, I am panicking.

Don't worry. I felt the same way after school, it all works out. I worked for a carpenter for almost a year before I found my first professional job. The key is to be diligent w/ your search, and being mentally preped for being let down. It happens, interviews go great, but you don't get the job. Don't let it get you down, just keep at it. Find a shit job in the meantime to earn spending $ and occupy you mind. The market SUCKS still, but it may be improving. Ok, incase you can't tell, I'm the big brother in my family.

I'm having the same problem.

I'm also worried that if I do get a job, it won't be in the field I want to go into. I want to be journalist, but there aren't too many openings in that field, and most of the job openings I do see are in Public Relations. PR seems to be OK, but its not what I want to do, and I wonder if I'll be able to ever get into the field that I really want to go into.

I'm sending out resumes whenever I get the chance. I'll also be going to a job fair next week. I hope to get somewhere that way since I'll be meeting with some people face-to-face without justing sending in my resume.

Last edited:
Being unemployed after college is my life these days...which is why I'm going to grad school this fall

:| :| :|

Gotta love the ever-useful English degree...

I graduated from university 4 years ago and I still haven't managed to get myself a proper career :|

Although I have to admit to not actually trying that hard (I'm not really a 'career' type of person)

Don't worry yourself - it'll happen :up:

I'm feeling the same way. I have NO idea what I want to do, degrees in three useless subjects (well, if I survive this one!), and I can't make any plans until this fall after I've found out whether my leave to remain as a spouse in the UK is accepted. There's nothing I hate more than that feeling of being powerless. I don't know ANYONE here and have no contacts or anyone I can legitimately talk to get ideas about what I can do. I can't really look for jobs here, nor can I look for them in the US (I wouldn't even know what city to live in!). :crazy:

Anyway, I went through the same thing as you during undergrad and it all worked out fabulously. I knew I wanted to work in Washington, DC, so I sent out cover letters and my resume to all of Kentucky's members of Congress and both Senators and had enough money saved up that I could afford to apply for some internships incase I didn't get a job and then I could look for a permanent position while I was living in DC. I also had a lot of contacts in state government, so I knew I could get a job there if nothing else, and continue to apply for jobs in DC. I was SOOOOOOOO stressed, and it didn't help that my dad was VERY, VERY much opposed to the fact that I wanted to move to DC. In the end, about two weeks before I graduated, I was offered a job in the Congressional office where I had interned the summer before, starting less than a week after graduation.

Anyway, the moral of this story is, apply as many places as possible (which it sounds like you've been doing), and think about internships if you can afford to do one since they often lead to offers of permanent employment, and if nothing else, they look really good on a resume. I think it's important to talk to as many people as possible in the field(s) you want to work in, and to talk to your professors or other people you know about ideas so you have possibilities to fall back on if your primary plan falls through. I'm sure you know all of this, though, so good luck! :)

Last edited:
originally posted by meeganie

Anyway, I went through the same thing as you during undergrad and it all worked out fabulously. I knew I wanted to work in Washington, DC, so I sent out cover letters and my resume to all of Kentucky's members of Congress and both Senators and had enough money saved up that I could afford to apply for some internships incase I didn't get a job and then I could look for a permanent position while I was living in DC. I also had a lot of contacts in state government, so I knew I could get a job there if nothing else, and continue to apply for jobs in DC. I was SOOOOOOOO stressed, and it didn't help that my dad was VERY, VERY much opposed to the fact that I wanted to move to DC. In the end, about two weeks before I graduated, I was offered a job in the Congressional office where I had interned the summer before, starting less than a week after graduation.

Anyway, the moral of this story is, apply as many places as possible (which it sounds like you've been doing), and think about internships if you can afford to do one since they often lead to offers of permanent employment, and if nothing else, they look really good on a resume. I think it's important to talk to as many people as possible in the field(s) you want to work in, and to talk to your professors or other people you know about ideas so you have possibilities to fall back on if your primary plan falls through. I'm sure you know all of this, though, so good luck!

But internships are for college students. Very few, if not none, are for college graduates. And do they pay, and how much?

Last edited:
Pearl said:

But internships are for college students. Very few, if not none, are for college graduates. And do they pay, and how much?

No, most will accept people who have recently graduated from college. Some pay a stipend, but it depends on the internship.

I don't know what to say, pax...I've been out of college since December of 2002, and I still can't find decent work. All I have is a retail job where it's so slow that I've only been working one night a week. I apply to at least 2 or 3 jobs a week, and I rarely even get interviews.

Yeah...I'm not very comforting...but if you ever want to vent to me, go for it. I understand. :hug:

I'm scared too, b/c I plan on moving FAR away right after college (from Michigan to the south like Georgia or Florida) so I'll loose any connections with relatives, friends, or internships that I've already stacked up. So I'm trying not to worry much since either way, I'll be starting from scratch and there's not much I can do.

One more thing...

A book that every job seeker should read is 'Knock Em Dead' by Martin Yate. It is probably available at your local libary. It deals with all the things job seekers need to do. It talks about everything from resumes and cover letters to what to say and not to say on the phone and at the interview. This book has helped a couple of friends get jobs.

I'm with you. I've been out of college since the summer of 2002 and I still have my 30 hour a week bartending job.

I thought about going back to school just to buy me some time, but I doubt if it would help me more desirable to companies, etc. It seems that a university shouldn't be paid for an education if the job market doesn't have jobs for their graduates. How is this benefiting both parties? The schools seem to be making a killing, but the graduates get nothing but I "Thank you for applying at Red Lobster".

Blaim Washington politics and more importantly, NAFTA.

hey dano, how is bartending?

does it pay well for the hours?

been thinking about bartending for a while now. :hmm:

paxetaurora said:
I have taken to scanning my favorite job boards on a near-daily basis, although it is only February. I have already applied for at least 15 or 20 jobs. I am starting to worry that I'm going nuts. All this applying, all this rewriting of my cute little resume...and I am only facing my SECOND interview in the coming weeks.

Yes, I am panicking.

I am not sure what you are looking to do, but try a temp/contracting agency. Worked out pretty well for me after school. Seriously, you can get your foot in the door with some really good companies this way.

If it makes you feel any better I recently quit my good paying job of 4+ years at AOL so I could take the classes I need to apply to med school. I lined up a job waiting tables and I got fired on my day off (long story - was not my fault). I have medical bills from my October illness coming in still, I am currently unemployed and have way overpriced rent. I do not care though something will work out and it will for you as well. Just enjoy the last few months of college as much as you can.

Bartending was fun for the first 1 and a half. It has worn me down, because you realize that you're spending each and everyday watching people slowly kill themselves.

For the last year I've been cutting back on my drinking, because of the torture of seeing my customers get closer and closer to death. It's sad, but it's decent money considering the hours and fact that it's a job. Don't get me wrong, it's not like I hate going to work, but I serve a bunch of old guys and since I started working I've seen a few of them die due to a lifetime of drinking. The worst part is the cigarette and cigar smokers. You can't avoid the fumes and by the end of a 6-7 hours shift you'll notice a difference in your breathing.

I'd say use it as a last resort. :)

It's fun, just don't make it a career .

I know how you feel, Pax. I graduated (last night!) from my Bachelor of Arts and have been looking for a job since last April. So far I've had a total of two interviews. I still have my 6 hour a week tutoring job, but the place where I work is closing down next month.

Have you considered going overseas? I am starting a TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) course next and will most likely end up in Asia somewhere. A lot of my friends have already done that and enjoyed it. I'm also thinking about going back to uni next year (I left it too late to apply this year) possibly to do librarianship. But there's not too many jobs in that either!

:mad: Why is this so difficult? I read in the paper today that 9% of Bachelor degree graduates are unemployed, compared to something like 30% of high school grads. So why did everyone who I finished high school with get a job straight away, and all us highly educated people have nothing? *Sigh*.

~*Buffalo*~ said:

:mad: Why is this so difficult? I read in the paper today that 9% of Bachelor degree graduates are unemployed, compared to something like 30% of high school grads. So why did everyone who I finished high school with get a job straight away, and all us highly educated people have nothing? *Sigh*.

Because we're consider too smart for lower paying jobs. I don't say this to be arrogant, but because I truly believe that the smarter you come across the more likely you are to demand better working conditions, pay and respect. Everyone should enjoy those things in their respective jobs, but college graduates tend to believe that paying $20,000-$80000 for an education should come with a few perks.

Individuals with High School degrees, yet no higher education, will likely see more employment because the majority of jobs in this country are fast becoming low-skilled, factory-style, grunt jobs. The less education you have, the more likely you are to land one of these (sigh) menial jobs.

Danospano said:

The less education you have, the more likely you are to land one of these (sigh) menial jobs.

At the moment I'd be happy with a menial job, because it's better than what I have now. And because I have no discernible employment skills - having spent the last 3 years learning how to write bibliographies - it's probably all that I will end up with.

*Sigh* This is such a depressing thread.

Update--

It's April now and still no job, a couple dozen applications, two job fairs, one resume "consultant," and tons of bitching later. At the company I interviewed with in January, I've now gone through three HR reps without getting an offer. I mean, they keep replying to my calls and e-mails, which I guess is a good sign, but they're out of state and I really need to have a job offer at least a few weeks in advance so I can plan a move. :|

So, in other words, nothing.

BUT: You all have been great in this thread. Thanks for your words of encouragement. :)

Oh--I will have a dual B.A. in English and philosophy with a minor in women's studies.

Don't give up hope Pax! :D

I was wallowing in the depths of unemployed despair at the beginning of March, having given up on reading the job ads because I was so depressed about not finding anything. Then out the blue this recruitment agency with whom I had applied for a job a couple of months back called me and asked if I was able to start on a month long contract the next day. So now I have been working for a mining company for a month, and yesterday they asked me if I can stay for another month. It's not very exciting work, just answering phones and writing letters, but it's something and I feel a whole lot better for working and getting experience.

So it is possible! Of course I want to try for something better later on - and go overseas - but for now I'm happy. I have plenty of time to reminisce about all those wonderful subjects I took at uni which are proving utterly useless in the real world. :eyebrow:

Good news:

I have a second interview at HarperCollins! :hyper:

Bad news:

I applied for a summer job as a bank teller, since, due to budget cuts, my old summer job may not be able to hire me back. :|

Congrats on inteview #2...

I have said this before (in this thread) but the book 'Knock Em Dead' by Martin Yate is great. Anyone looking for work should read this book.

Back
Top Bottom