How to be a tutor?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2bonogirl

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Back on the blue crack after a long break
I don't know of anybody to ask in person, so I figured I might ask the interferencers.

My biology professor recommended me as a bio tutor because I (for reasons unknown to me) I did very well in the class, but mostly because I want to be a teacher and this would be good practice. Plus it pays 10$ an hour :drool:

My problem is that aside from not actually being great at biology, I'm not sure what a tutor does. I've never had one and I've never seen one in action. All I know is that I'm supposed to help a struggling student with their biology

Do I quiz them? Do I just go over material with them? Has anybody had success as a tutor, or had one that was really helpful?
The last thing I want to do is make money off the college for being a crappy tutor, and cause some poor bio student to do worse on their exam :huh:

I'd say just go over their material which they're being required to learn?
And perhaps think of some great teachers/tutors you've had and see if you can think of any particular skills you could adopt. Whatever worked for you as a student should work for a student of yours if it wasn't too particular?

Or maybe just ask a teacher on here :lol:

I just hope I have answers for them :lol:

So how do the mitochondria create all that ATP again?
:uhoh: Something with electron gradients?

Ack!

My favorite teacher from the past was very sarcastic and he liked to smack people. I'm not sure if that is a manor to adopt this early in my career!

u2bonogirl said:
My problem is that aside from not actually being great at biology, I'm not sure what a tutor does.

Not to be rude...but if you're not that great at biology, maybe you shouldn't be tutoring it. That's good that you did well in the class...but if you don't feel confident about the material, I would shy away from tutoring others in it.

Re: Re: How to be a tutor?

Bonochick said:

Not to be rude...but if you're not that great at biology, maybe you shouldn't be tutoring it. That's good that you did well in the class...but if you don't feel confident about the material, I would shy away from tutoring others in it.
I guess I'm just full of self doubt on this one. I've never done well in a science class before this one, and I guess it was because I was interested in it that it came sort of easy. But generally speaking, I'm not great at science. However, I ranked top of my class in the lecture session as well as the lab, so I must be good at something :shrug:

I will probably be fine with the material once I start looking at the book again (afterall, they have to be getting at least a low C in the class so I have to know at least something that they don't), its more the way I'm supposed to tutor that I'm not getting yet.

Tara I think you'd do fine. Tutoring isn't about how much you know, it's about how you actually know it. Does that make sense? Some students have learning processes that actually create more work and make it harder for them to learn. You've got to give them clues on how to study better, how to better organize the material, both in their notes and in their minds, so that it actually makes sense AND is easier to recall.

I've learned that in college, if you're doing really well, it's usually NOT because you've perfectly understood and memorized the material, but because you've figured out what the professor is looking for and how to give that back. It's about figuring out the most efficient process - retaining and being able to understand, calculate, manipulate, etc the most about of material with the least amount of time and effort. If you're #1, you've figured this out, even if you're not usually good at science. This process is a science itself!

As for actual tutoring, I think usually the student will come to you with problems and you can start from there. Our Econ/Bus dept tutor sessions worked this way: student signs up for tutor session, student brings all homework, textbooks, and relevant course material to session, student tells tutor what s/he is not getting or what homework problems are troublesome. The tutor, having simply understood and completed the same material, will go through bit-by-bit and work things out. It's not so much that you're teaching the student. Generally, they already have all the info in their brains and in their notes, but they need help organizing it and making sense of it.

Thanks, that was really helpful :yes: :bow:

I can definitely help somebody learn to keep the stuff they really need, and disregard the rest come test time. That's my specialty :wink:

You're very right about doing well in college by figuring out what the professor wants, and how they want it. I didn't get that at first, but once I did it made things a whole lot easier. And it really minimized my study time.

Whoo. I feel more ready for this than I did before. Thank you for the input. Now let's just hope I don't get some perverted boy to tutor
:wink:

i seriously cannot believe private tutoring only costs $10 an hour

i give private swim lessons to elite athletes and i charge no less then $90 an hour

what the fuck?

U2SavesTheWorld said:

Maybe the tutoring is through the school? :shrug: I was going to tutor some students in computer science while I was going to college, and all on-campus jobs started at $5.50 an hour. You'd get bumped to $6.50 an hour if you did a good job, had been working a certain number of months, and had a certain number of credits. I ended up opting out though, as more hours opened up in the computer lab and in the tech support stuff I was doing, so I figured I wouldn't add another thing to the mix.

My sister taught swim lessons to little kids for $30 a half hour.

Maybe I should start teaching swim lessons again. . . :hmm:

Anyway, tutoring is more about the "how" than the "what." Good luck. :up:

The tutoring lessons are free to the students, but they can only receive 2 hours. Basically the school sets aside money for offering students who need it a little free tutoring, and other students an opportunity to make a few bucks.

Recently I was thinking about when me and Tim decide to have kids. We're planning on homeschooling them up to high school. By the time we have kids I will, hopefully, be a licensed teacher, and I was considering opening our house up to teach some other people's kids or just do some paid tutoring. Some people would like to homeschool but don't feel smart enough, and it would be a good way for me to make some income while teaching our children :hmm:

Okay, so tutoring is about teaching them how to do well in a class, how to study and do their assignments, and how to bullshit their way through exams :D Brilliant

U2SavesTheWorld said:
wow thats just nuts

teacher income is just so out of whack

:down:

:heart:

Keep kids in school to increase the salaries of teachers!
lightold.gif

U2SavesTheWorld said:

i give private swim lessons to elite athletes and i charge no less then $90 an hour

what the fuck?

I believe it's through the college or university, not like Tara would go to elementary schools to tutor for science (correct me if I'm wrong). Usually, the department or Provost office pays the tutors and the students can use tutors within certain limitations (time, signing up the right way, having a certain grade or below).

I was a TA for a class that all our college freshmen are required to take or test out of. I got $6.75 an hour (started at $6.25) and the ONLY thing the professor did that I didn't do was actually attend lecture once a week and take attendence. Actually, he handed me the attendence records and I was the one who entered them, as well as grading all the work, attending lab help sessions, and working with students outside of class.

But yeah, it's different because it's college. The students are paying over $100,000 so there better be some form of help or tutoring available to some extent because Lord knows we're not seeing where the 100k is going..... The college makes out like a bandit because they assume most of the on-campus jobs go to foreign students who can only legally work on-campus, so the pay rates start around $5.50-$6.00 and hour.

What's this tutoring for? The same class you took?

To be honest I wouldn't want college tutoring by anyone who wasn't getting a graduate degree because to really be able to help a person you need to know more than just what that class requires.

If it's for high school or middle school, you'd be okay.

Basically for me, you need to have at least 3-4 years up on the person you're tutoring to be effective.

And yes, I've done it before.

anitram said:
What's this tutoring for? The same class you took?

To be honest I wouldn't want college tutoring by anyone who wasn't getting a graduate degree because to really be able to help a person you need to know more than just what that class requires.

If it's for high school or middle school, you'd be okay.

Basically for me, you need to have at least 3-4 years up on the person you're tutoring to be effective.

And yes, I've done it before.

I think it depends on the course though. I could've got tutoring for a lot of the 100-level required "core" curriculum as a freshman and sophomore and the tutor would've been an upperclassman who got an A in the class and was also majoring in that program. It's more like going to a smart friend for help with homework. They were mainly intro classes, like English 101 or Psych 151 - stuff you have to take, a lot of it even easier or overlapping from the high school courses, but most likely won't care for because it's not relevant to your chosen field of study.

Take the class I basically taught - IDIS 110 Research Information Technology. Basically, all the freshmen have to take it and they learn about technology that specifically relates to them at our school. For example, they learn how to publish their websites on our servers, how to use specific functions of our e-mail client, how to login to all college-owned computers via Novell. Stuff that even as an underclass undergrad, I've done tens of thousands of times for my job on-campus and because my life revolves around computers. Stuff someone in the graduate program doesn't need to waste time going over. Most of the problems I dealt with were simple (to me), yet fairly specific. For example, I'd say 90% of the questions/tutoring I did involved FTPing to one's school account using Dreamweaver MX 2004 and using Macromedia FireWorks to export a .png as a .jpg at a given resolution. It's not necessary to be a graduate student, or even have your degree yet, to teach that kind of stuff, as long as you "get it" and have done it a gazillion times already. I'd imagine the same is true for basic bio stuff like Punnet squares, learning the parts of a cell, memorizing compounds, etc.

Is the intention here to help the person do well in the course or to help them with learning biology?

If you're simply satisfied with pulling a B, then sure, learn how to take the exam and what the professor wants. If you want more than that, then find yourself a person who knows a substantive amount of material in question.

I went to the #1 university in the country. Not only could an undergraduate not tutor, but the graduate student who was a tutor had to have gotten a 4.0 in the equivalent course in their undergrad. To me, it's a reasonable requirement and if I were being tutored I wouldn't accept much less, to be honest.

Biology isn't a course like English Lit or sociology where you can learn how to respond to a bent the professor has. You need to have a significant knowledge base to be effective.

Again, it's just my opinion. But I would not tutor a college level biology course with no experience or expertise except having taken it myself. Other people may not be uncomfortable with it, obviously.

To add:

I'd imagine the same is true for basic bio stuff like Punnet squares, learning the parts of a cell, memorizing compounds, etc.

It would have to be a rather piss poor university which makes students learn the parts of a cell in a bio course. We're talking molecular biology at this level (which seems like what U2bonogirl was referring to when she mentioned mitochondrial energy cycling, etc).

Last edited:
anitram said:

It would have to be a rather piss poor university which makes students learn the parts of a cell in a bio course. We're talking molecular biology at this level (which seems like what U2bonogirl was referring to when she mentioned mitochondrial energy cycling, etc).

I was thinking in terms of our required into to bio course, "BIOL 141: Cell Biology & Genetics". If you did poorly on the tests you take before starting college, you're elligible for the easier core course which is more about plants. I never understood it either, having to do the genetics stuff for the intro core course ("Living World" requirement), probably why I sucked big time and changed majors (the first of five times) away from Biology. Those labs were the hardest thing I ever did in college, first semester, freshmen year, required course. Tara, if you're top of the class, you can be my tutor any day!

As for intent, for most students, I'd go with option A, the intent is to do well in the course. But again, I'm speaking from a prespective where we're required to take "intro" courses in EVERY subject, regardless of our actual major/program. For my bio, chem, and psych core requirements, I just wanted to do OK in the course. Once I changed away from bio into business communications, I knew I'd never be taking courses like that again. It just wasn't for me.

However, when I struggled in courses that WERE important to me and my future, I skipped the tutoring provided by the school and went directly to the professors and discussed problems with them. I've never been a big fan of tutoring either and never utilized it beyond the core courses I didn't care about.

Honestly, I don't have a problem with Tara taking the job. If some students feel she's underqualified, they're perfectly welcome to talk to the prof instead or request a graduate student mentor. And like Tara said earlier, the kids who qualify for tutoring have to be worse than a C, so somehow I doubt these kids are really into molecular biology. Sounds like they just need help organizing the material and some pointers on getting the work done.

Last edited:
u2bonogirl said:
Recently I was thinking about when me and Tim decide to have kids. We're planning on homeschooling them up to high school.

Please dont think I'm trying to have a go at you, I'm genuinely interested in why you've picked homeschooling. I dont know a great deal about it, having grown up near only a Korowal and one Steiner, which were the only alternative teaching school in my little bush commune.

We need to pick a school next year for '08, and if it weren't for our government's ratings manual which is published yearly, I'd have no clue where to even start.

So what's the pros and cons, if you dont mind me asking?

anitram said:

In my highschool we studied both the mitochondrial process (the ATP cycle stuff) as well as the processes that occur in the chloroplasts.

Yet in my first year bio course, we barely touched on that and instead focused on parts of the cell. Obviously with far more detail than in HS. And it was only a small part of the course.

:shrug:

As for tutoring, I've had some experience. Clearly, you should have a fairly good grasp of the material, otherwise you'll be ineffective at answering questions and such, but you do not need to be a master, and there is no fault if you have to look something up. What really matters is that you can help explain it so that they can understand it.

Both me and a friend of mine have both tutored students in our own grade who were taking the course at the same time as us. (in HS)

Last edited:
In the case of where we live, which is a pretty wealthy area that has plenty of schools, it's a matter of wanting to raise your kids at a young age in a certain environment, allowing them to excel in areas that they are good at and get ahead of the curve. When you are in an area with less money for the schools it is also a matter of making sure your child is being taught.
We aren't planning on keeping our kids at home for high school because I don't feel that I could offer them the kind of knowledge they would need in many areas.
One of the cons used to be the lack of contact with other kids, which causes the "they are definitely homeschooled" kids :wink:
But that's just not so anymore if you do it right. There are so many ways for homeschool kids to get together with other public and homeschoolers. And I think it's great that public schools are allowing them to play sports as well. Tim's brother has 4 kids and they have all been taught by their mom (except the oldest is taking a high school art class and community college courses now) and they are some of the most well adjusted kids I've met. You don't have to isolate your kids in order to homeschool, and they don't have to turn out really weird, which is what I think a lot of people imagine when you mentioned a homeschooler :wink: And I've known some really weird ones

Unless you have really crappy schools, which is why I ended up schooling myself for the last 3 years of high school in Oregon, it really comes down to wanting to allow your child to work at a pace that is comfortable to them, having that one on one time, and using their earlier years to help shape their character instead of hoping that they are getting good guidance at a public school. A reason that you see a lot of Christian parents homeschooling their kids is that the earlier years are a very core shaping years, and they feel that the public schools just don't offer the same guidance that they would like for their child. I guess you would call that 'religious freedom', but that sounds kind of over the top. You might say, well, can't you teach your child values and good behavior when they aren't in school? But by the time they are home from school, going to baseball practice, eating a snack, being forced to do their homework, having dinner, watching TV...there just isn't the same time you would have if they were at home during the day under your care.

A con of homeschooling is that your child may lose out on some really great teachers in the school system, or some of the extra activities that they do in public school. But you can have co-ops with other parents who are specialized in certain subjects, and you can do a lot of fun stuff with your kids that they can't do in school. Not to mention that field trips are a lot easier :wink: Another con would be that your kids are there ALL the time. Which is actually what I've listed as a pro as well :laugh:

So basically it comes down to a possibly more efficient way for your child to learn and excel, more family time, and more freedom.
Homeschooling is not for everyone. Some kids really need to be out doing something all the time, some parents just don't have the freedom to stay home with their kids to teach and many other reasons, but for those that it works for I think it is a great opportunity. I was in public and homeschool in young and older ages and I can honestly say that the emotional burden was much lighter in homeschool because you don't have all the social pressure on you, it was nice being able to work at my own pace and forge ahead, the activities and field trips were way more fun because it wasn't so much a corporate thing but a group of families getting together to do something fun, and the friendships I made were deeper than those I made in public school. My parents didn't teach me though, so I never got that one on one time, but the people I schooled with were taught by their parents and there was a great bond and level of respect between them. It made me wish sometimes that I could actually spend some time with my dad.

Okay, that's my speech :wink:
I hope it answers a few questions. I'm not the oracle on the subject. Parents who actually go through this every day could tell you more than I can.

Angela Harlem said:

Please dont think I'm trying to have a go at you, I'm genuinely interested in why you've picked homeschooling. I dont know a great deal about it, having grown up near only a Korowal and one Steiner, which were the only alternative teaching school in my little bush commune.

We need to pick a school next year for '08, and if it weren't for our government's ratings manual which is published yearly, I'd have no clue where to even start.

So what's the pros and cons, if you dont mind me asking?

Thank you for answering. I wish you luck with it :) I severely doubt my elder's ability to have any benefit from a set up like that, but the next might be a good candidate for it. Even then though, I think I need the break as much as they do. Nat is already in preschool 2 days and she loves it. Thankfully. Our little Hurricane Natalie is an um.. exuberant child.
:lol:

Angela Harlem said:
Thank you for answering. I wish you luck with it :) I severely doubt my elder's ability to have any benefit from a set up like that, but the next might be a good candidate for it. Even then though, I think I need the break as much as they do. Nat is already in preschool 2 days and she loves it. Thankfully. Our little Hurricane Natalie is an um.. exuberant child.
:lol:

I'm hoping that a few years of developing patience and being a licensed teacher will help me out a lot when the time comes.
The thought that our kids could be like me at a young age is a scary one though! :crazy: Thankfully with all that one on one time I won't feel bad about making them get out of my hair when we are getting fed up with one another :lol:
The funniest thing I heard was on Mother's Day at church. Kids were doing little speeches about their moms and one homeschooled boy went up there. He said that his mom lets him go and play during the day, but she doesn't like him going outside because she doesn't want other parents to think that her kids are skipping school and call the cops :lol: The way he said it was so adorable.

Good luck making the decisions about your kids. You have government ratings on schools that you can check out? That's neat. Where I grew up I don't think they would ever issue anything like that unless they had to. They are some of the worst schools in that state. There isn't even enough money to have electives or buy anymore :madspit:

Wow, I think it's cool you're excited about homeschooling. When I was a kid, I thought homeschooling was weird (who'd want to stay home all day with their sibs? hehe), but of all the kids I've know or have met who've been homeschooled, they're the smartest (intellectually AND socially), most polite, and most level-headed kids.

These days, there's a lot of places that organize activities for homeschooled kids. Like the place where Phil coached rec/pre-sport gymnastics, they had classes, open gyms, and field trips designed like a PE class for homeschooled kids and a place for them to play with other kids.

I'm lucky that there are so many people around where I live that homeschool their kids. It will be very easy for me to find groups to do activities with, and keep the kids socially active. Plus we have a ready-made field trip nearby - DC!

I'm also glad that universities are a lot more open minded about letting in H.S. kids than they were some years ago.

I have to meet with the guy who runs the tutoring program this afternoon. Hopefully soon there will be frustrated bio students coming in asking for some tutoring :hyper:

u2bonogirl said:
I'm lucky that there are so many people around where I live that homeschool their kids. It will be very easy for me to find groups to do activities with, and keep the kids socially active. Plus we have a ready-made field trip nearby - DC!

Yeah and all the cool stuff there is free, no?

Back
Top Bottom