How to be a tutor?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i have the coolest shirt EVER.

it says "St. Louis Homeschool Prom 1999".

i employed a girl who was homeschooled and i asked her about her prom....apparently they get all the homeschool kids together and rent out a gym somewhere and have a homeschool prom. she said it completely sucked because she only knew like 3 people.

she gave me her shirt. i offered her $50 for it. :giggle:

U2SavesTheWorld said:

i employed a girl who was homeschooled and i asked her about her prom....apparently they get all the homeschool kids together and rent out a gym somewhere and have a homeschool prom. she said it completely sucked because she only knew like 3 people.

:drool: ALMOST as cool as my dad's vintage t-shirt they had printed for each of their nasty college keggars: "Pad Party 1981"

edit: wait, my dad never went to college...

Last edited:
I tutored for a couple of years (mainly English/Reading) & found that the students were very bright, wanted to learn, but either had a different way that they felt comfortable in learning or that their self-confidence in a particular subject for whatever reason was way lower than it should've been.

It helped me to have a conference with the instructor before I began tutoring and talking with the person before starting - to get an idea of how they feel about the subject. I usually got the book/curriculum guidelines, condensed it down to a quick, very informal quiz to get an idea of where they stood on the subject. With every session, it became more clear of the person's thought processes. Tutoring requires a lot of patience, but it is incredibly rewarding. Sounds like a great job!!!! :wink:

Thanks for the info SunBloc :yes:

I was thinking of putting together a small quiz for the person I'm tutoring, just so we can see what they need to work on.
Unless you really understand the stuff you're being tested on in the class it is really hard to do well, so I know to work on understanding why things happen with them.

I want a homeschool prom t-shirt :lol:

just do it.

and maybe you could put in a lil extra work and find a topic that is interesting for most of the students? if you have that freedom, being a tutor.

First, go ahead and try it out.

If you can break down concepts into bite size pieces, you will do great.

There are some tutor sites designed to hook up parents and tutors - it is an exploding industry.

U2SavesTheWorld said:

:lol: Yet another reason I'm against home schooling.

:giggle:

bonosloveslave said:
I was home-schooled for 3 years (Grades 3,4,5) - I didn't turn out too weird, did I? :shifty:

Dude, no one that calls me on Sunday to see if I want to road trip down to St. Louis without concert tickets on Tuesday is weird, OK?! :wink:

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

Dude, no one that calls me on Sunday to see if I want to road trip down to St. Louis without concert tickets on Tuesday is weird, OK?! :wink:

:lol:

designall.dll

Just an update

I got my first call today for a tutoring appointment. Now, I'm nervous because the guy said that he's doing really well in the class "the guy throwing off the grade curve" but he just wants to solidify some ideas in his head.

Great, so he'll easily be able to tell when I have no idea what I'm talking about :lol:

So, now I'm just hoping that I remember all the stuff I learned in the class and that I can be in the least bit helpful (mainly that he isn't working on photosynthesis right now :huh: )

He really doesn't need one!
For some reason I was under the impression that you had to be getting a crappy grade for free tutoring, but I guess not :shrug:
And he sounded intelligent too :hmm:

Oh well, if I'm stuck with a geek who is worried about getting anything lower than a 99% on their test, it could definitely be worse.

However if he just wants to meet chicks then shame on him :tsk: If I wanted to meet hot guys I would not be calling a tutoring office :lol:

From my experiences in teaching, it's the students who are doing the best who are always worrying and think they need the most help. :shrug:

Well, I did it!
We ended up going to starbucks and mostly talking the whole time about music :reject:
The guy pretty much knew everything he needed to know - and then some. The things he was trying to understand weren't even going to matter when he was tested, and of course it was on the hardest part of the course :madspit:

But I actually managed to help him understand what he didn't get (something with when oxygen is important in the aerobic respiration pathway)

So I guess it was a success! He was really nice, not out to meet chicks :wink:
But the funny thing was that he is 32, the same age as my husband. It was kind of weird trying to help somebody 12 years older than me with their schoolwork :laugh:

Whew. I made it through my first tutoring session. Hopefully next time I'll have somebody a little dumber so I can sound smart :grumpy:

Back
Top Bottom