How do you know when someone is being sincere?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angel

Elvis' Naughty Angel
:eyebrow: well?

That's about it... and please answer. I really need to know. I am having trust/faith issues right now... whatever you want to call it.

Too many doubts to know for sure........ :crack:

With me, I can usually tell by the mannerisms, or body language, or even better, the eyes. It just depends on how well you know the person also to study their body language when it comes to finding out if your being lied to by that person. I hope I made some sense...

That makes perfect sense nellie, but what if you haven't actually met that person? There is a lot of contact, personally and professionally via telephone and emails... however, no physical meetings have taken place............ :slant: (sounds so clinical)

maybe how they type in emails? like repeating something over again, or getting waaay too defensive too quickly, sometimes its the words too that are a dead giveaway. or if you spoke to that person on the phone...how did he/she sound? sometimes the voice gives it away too. stuttering, or just avoiding the questions or statements altogether. thats all i can think of at the moment, sorry im not much help:|

Well...drgnwolf1969 and I communicated through letters, emails, and phone calls for 4 years before finally meeting face to face. :heart:

I think one thing that showed he was sincere was that he always paid attention to me and what I said...and I could always tell by his response...personal and heartfelt. Also...sincerity comes from a certain type of person...jerks are not sincere (not in a good way, at least). If the person is interested in you...asks YOU how your day was...instead of always just talking about themself, that's a good sign. Also, if you talk about something one day...and that person can still recall it the next day or a few days after...that means they were listening or they paid attention to what you wrote, which means they care...seems pretty sincere to me.

It's hard to give advice, since we don't know the details of this situation and what type of relationship it is. Hope something I said helped though...or that somebody else can help!

Angle, I hate to say it but you have two choices: simply trust and find out if the person is being sincere, or don't give them a chance and you will never know. There really is no easy way to find out, and it's certainly impossible to tell in your specific situation since we have no idea what is going on!

I hope they are sincere for your sake.

Thanks guys............. I am having a hard time with this. You are right though Blue_Angel... I just gotta go with it, or I don't. It's just really hard to know which route to take.
I am paranoid. That much I know for sure.

I feel like I am a nuisance to them, and almost even a burden now... It's complicated. I will be 'meeting' this person in two weeks in the flesh for the first time. I want to be excited, but after all these months... the last week has been different. More silence... less emails... this person even forgot my Bday... though hugely apologised for it. I dunno. That's the sincerity I am questioning.

This isn't some internet romance either in case you guys are wondering... it's a different situation and :scream: I am losing my mind.

I so want to be accepted. Too much for my own good.

One thing to learn

'If you are not all that sincere, or keep your promises to others....you will never believe that anyone is sincere to you'

The thing is, when uve been fuked around over 2 times in the past, its harder to know.........sometimes u have to choose whether to hold on, ride along and see what the result is, then seperate to sincere pple from the insincere pple.....in ur life.

Angel said:
Thanks guys............. I am having a hard time with this. You are right though Blue_Angel... I just gotta go with it, or I don't. It's just really hard to know which route to take.
I am paranoid. That much I know for sure.

I feel like I am a nuisance to them, and almost even a burden now... It's complicated. I will be 'meeting' this person in two weeks in the flesh for the first time. I want to be excited, but after all these months... the last week has been different. More silence... less emails... this person even forgot my Bday... though hugely apologised for it. I dunno. That's the sincerity I am questioning.

This isn't some internet romance either in case you guys are wondering... it's a different situation and :scream: I am losing my mind.

I so want to be accepted. Too much for my own good.

I so understand how hard it is to trust someone with their sincerity, especially when you don't have the normal physical contact with them. But you have to really dig deep and trust the situation. If you are really good friends and have been talking for awhile, I am sure the sincerity is there. It could all be innocent on their part; such as this person may be extremely busy and may not have the time to talk to you. Or it could be that this person is becoming a little nervous about meeting you. :shrug:

I am sure this will all work out for the best, and this is just a sign of nervous jitters... :hug: :)

It will be hard to gage sincerity through the mask of email or on-line communication. One suggestion ? try asking a few serious questions, maybe questions a little deeper or more pointed than you would typically ask. You may be able to tell from the tone and substance of the response what this person is really made of.

Praying for your peace and wisdom.

Back
Top Bottom