Honest question, really need to know

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laurel Hill

The Fly
Very often on all parts of this forum, we are asked by members to pray for them, their family member, friend, coworker, coworker's wife, etc. I see a lot of people say yes, they are going to do this, but I generally offer good wishes and hugs instead. I honestly don't understand how we are supposed to pray for a person who we only know as 'screaminu2girlie's' grandpa, 'guitarman's' girlfriend's mother's friend, etc. I mean, how do you do this? I am not joking I am totally serious. What are you supposed to do, refer to the person by screen name to God? Does He keep track of the whole internet and understand what we mean or not? If we don't know the real name of the person to be prayed for, how does it work? Even if a name is offered, the person is not the only one of that name in the world, and I don't see how asking blessings for "John" who is 'californiababe's' cousins's husband can possibly do any good or reach the right place. If asking for prayers is just a general 'positive vibes' thing, or a comfort to the poster, I can understand that, but as far as praying for a person we don't know through a screen name, I am at a loss. I would honestly like to ask those who claim they do this how it's done. Please, I am serious.

Beats me too. I pause and offer good wishes instead, too, like you would for someone in real life whom you aren't exceptionally close to, and cant perhaps give a hug and invite over for a cuppa so you can talk.

I wonder if perhaps the mere knowledge that a lot of people are genuinely showing they care is more comfort for the authors than anything.

That is a good question. I never personally say I will pray - seeing that the last time I prayed for anything was either related to me passing an exam or perhaps England during the football.

I offer good wishes or thoughts if I have come into contact with the person on interference before. I have always assumed that it is just like a comforting thing more than anything else like the above poster says - I never actually imagined people praying at night - maybe they do? :shrug:

I appreciate your honesty very much!I can understand what do you mean. But dont know the answer either. It is nice to see that someone is actually serious about all that. It is great that you dont do it automatically:wave:

I honestly don't know the answer to that question either. To be truthful I have never stopped and thought about it. Typically when I do say prayers I just ask that for those who are having a hard time to to be able to work through it all.

In this forum, just asking for help for "Donna's family..." is enough; He knows who you're referring to...

There are many times that I wish for good to happen to those in need of miracles, cures, relief...He works both sides of the fence, I'm sure there are times that He listens and other times that He knows better and far more than us and our hopeful outcome...

I even extend my prayer to those doctor's who are gonna do a procedure, how about that pilot that's flying my plane, that long distance truck driver who I'm gonna encounter later in the afternoon..

My prayer list goes on and on and changes day by day...He knows who we mean...

These thoughts may not help you but they certainly bring relief to me knowing that I asked...

I don't pray myself, but if I post that I'll be thinking about someone, I usually will. There are people around here that I've gotten to know either in real life or just online that I genuinely like and care for, and I'll find myself thinking about them anyway. I'll just think of them a little more or hope that things will get better if I have posted in a thread where they are asking for good wishes or prayers.

Last year when my grandmother died, it was strangely comforting to see a bunch of :hug: smilies in my journal and in my chat thread du choix. It's just nice to know there are people out there that you haven't even really met thinking of you and hoping you and your family are doing all right.

Schmeg said:

It's just nice to know there are people out there that you haven't even really met thinking of you and hoping you and your family are doing all right.

How true that is :hug: I know I was deeply comforted when I lost my grandfather suddenly this year. The outpouring of :hug:'s and caring I received really meant a lot. Always try to return that to anyone else who is having a rough time of it.

Mr. BAW said:
In this forum, just asking for help for "Donna's family..." is enough; He knows who you're referring to...

There are many times that I wish for good to happen to those in need of miracles, cures, relief...He works both sides of the fence, I'm sure there are times that He listens and other times that He knows better and far more than us and our hopeful outcome...

I even extend my prayer to those doctor's who are gonna do a procedure, how about that pilot that's flying my plane, that long distance truck driver who I'm gonna encounter later in the afternoon..

My prayer list goes on and on and changes day by day...He knows who we mean...

These thoughts may not help you but they certainly bring relief to me knowing that I asked...

He?

Laurel Hill said:
Does He keep track of the whole internet and understand what we mean or not? ...... I don't see how asking blessings for "John" who is 'californiababe's' cousins's husband can possibly do any good or reach the right place.

God isn't limited like humans. You may not understand how these things work, but He does.

People's beliefs and perceptions about God will change the answer to that question. Things like what God's character, His limitations and abilities, and the usefulness of prayer are all things that will factor in

What I believe is that the maker of the universe, and the little atoms that baffle the human race, can figure out who you are praying about even if you don't quite know yourself.

To me personally, it's no different than praying for people that go to your school, church, etc. You can't possibly know every person at your school or church, but those are communities, just like Interference. When you belong to a community, you want to support each other and have concern for each other, even if you're not best friends with everyone.

Also, many people here I have met more than once or know as close friends outside of this board. But even for those who I've never met, to know that people who may only know be by my first name and profile info care enough to offer encouragement or prayer is very humbling.

If you are asking about the nature of God and prayer, I'd ask in FYM...

some people are not allowed in FYM anymore. ;)

Like others have said...I have developed quite a few strong friendships here. I care for the well-being of these individuals and their family, etc.

Interference is an unbelievable community of amazing individuals!

Thanks everyone, your advice and comments have been helpful. There are different ways of looking at it.

I think the last couple posters may have misunderstood, though, it's not about praying for someone you hardly know, it's about taking it to God via a message board screen name :huh: when that's all you have, it seems so weird, even wrong. I didn't know if He'd understand who you mean if you just say 'screamingu2girlie's' grandpa, you know, like that.

hmm... I don't know. I believe in God, and he's beyond our systems and boundaries... so I guess the internet won't be a problem for him :p... prayings and good thoughts are always good energy for the one who need it and it trascends our own limits... I also think that praying (or sending good thoughts) for people that we don't personally know has a certain merit because you don't wait any reward for it

Last edited:
Again, this is NOT about praying for people you hardly know or don't know!! Of course you can pray for anybody! This isn't the issue at all. It's about praying to God using a message board screen name, 'please bless u2fungirls' boyfriend's aunt' - like that. It doesn't seem right or affective to me, IMO, and I was questioning if God knew everyone's screen names and would He even know what we mean?

Last edited:
Laurel Hill said:
Again, this is NOT about praying about people you hardly know or don't know!! It's about praying to God using a screen name, 'please bless u2fungirls' boyfriend's aunt' - like that. It doesn't seem right or affective to me, IMO.

I think if you believe in a god, and you believe that god had the power to create this world and all that is in it (or start that creation, or whatever), why would you think that god would have a problem knowing who u2fungirl's boyfriend's aunt is? :shrug: If you believe god knows your sins, knowing messageboard screen names is a piece of cake to the godster!

So I can't see that it's any less effective than any other prayer.

Last edited:
Laurel Hill said:
It's about praying to God using a message board screen name, 'please bless u2fungirls' boyfriend's aunt' - like that. It doesn't seem right or affective to me, IMO, and I was questioning if God knew everyone's screen names and would He even know what we mean?

Of course He knows! He's GOD, not some random guy.

indra said:

I think if you believe in a god, and you believe that god had the power to create this world and all that is in it (or start that creation, or whatever), why would you think that god would have a problem knowing who u2fungirl's boyfriend's aunt is? :shrug: If you believe god knows your sins, knowing messageboard screen names is a piece of cake to the godster!

:lol: The godster

I was basically thinking the same thing. Why would you believe that a God who could make the universe be bound by your knowledge of somebody with a screen-name's family?
If he were bound by your knowledge then he wouldn't really be much of a God...ster :laugh:

indra said:

You know what I love about your response? Even though, from what I know of you, I've gathered you're not a believer (at least in the traditional sense) you were able to put yourself in shoes of someone who is and provide a thoughtful answer from that perspective. So impressive! I really wish I could be more like that. And it was funny!

Basically, in answer to the original question, Indra pretty much covered it. . .I agree.

I'd also add that, for myself, I really don't like to say "I'll pray for you" unless I really am going to. To me there's nothing worse than the generic "oh, I'll keep you in my prayers" and then you instantly forget about that person and their situation. To me a promise to pray for a person (or their loved one) shouldn't just be nice words to make them feel good, but an actual commitment to doing so. So that's what I really try to stick to. Which means that if I've ever told anyone on Interference that I'd pray for them that means I really did, I really was thinking about them and their situation daily. And I'm generally confident that God knows who I'm talking about.

Well, it is a straight fact that God knows the heart, and even if we don't know someone's real name or the extent of their situation, He knows where our heart is and will not only understand but truly 'hear' the things we pray to him about

Back
Top Bottom