hitchhiking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Butterscotch

War Child
Do any of you hitch hike, or know someone who does? I've always thought it was dangerous and stupid. There is so much potential to be in a bad situation. The reason I'm asking is my 20 yr. old brother is having a fit on everyone in the family because he wants to hitch cross country and we're all telling him it's insane. He doesn't have any money, no job, no car. If he did nobody would care what he did or where he went. But hitching is not safe. He thinks we think he's a baby and worry too much but that's not it, no matter what age you are it's a dumbass thing to do. Any imput, experiences positive or negative or advice would be very helpful.

Why is he doing it - to see the country, and where will he sleep at night? Maybe pitch it in and buy a bus ticket. I haven't hitchhiked before, but I have driven across the US alone.

I don't have any stories or experiences to offer up, but as a single woman I may be very biased against hitchhiking myself or picking up a hitchhiker. I can't even remember the last time I saw one.

I remember finding an old sketchbook at my grandma's house that had belonged to one of my aunts, and in it she had written about hitchhiking a few times. Probably still not the safest thing, but it seems like it was more common back then in the 60s and 70s. Or at least more acceptable.

Which seems funny to say - I mean, are there more dangerous people out there now then there were then? Are there more people out there who would do harm to others? Or is everyone just so paranoid and distrustful that no one would dare pick up a stranger, or get into a car with a stranger?

Strangers = danger

I don't know that people are any more dangerous than they used to be, but it seems like they drive more aggressively and stupidly. I'm picky about who I ride with even if it's someone I know. It's not like he can just say, "Hey, can you pull over? You're a maniac driver."

I like ntalwar's suggestion about chipping in to buy him a bus ticket. Traveling by train is also nice, and I know there's a train that pretty much goes cross-country if you're in the U.S.

I agree that it is dangerous and probably a very bad idea. Not only is it dangerous for him, but it is a two way street. Most people (or at least the people I know) would never pick up a hitchhiker. There is a good chance your brother could end up completely stranded some where, with no money and no way to get back home. Personally, even if I thought it was safe to get in a car with random strangers, you can't guarantee you can find one who is willing to pick up a random stranger.

Unfortunately, I don't have any advice on how to talk him out of it. Hopefully, he will realize that on his own before he decides to set out.

Thanks for your responses. It's a sad and embarrassing thing to admit, but the people around him who have money wouldn't give him a cent, and the ones who would, like me, don't have it. Money is a big issue. If he had it, the trip would not be a problem. He's got this attitude that he wants to prove he can make it on his own with no money and have this great adventure. He reads all these books by Jack Kerouac, and hitching websites, and has, IMO, an idealized view of it. This view is opposite of what most everyone else has, that it's stupid and dangerous.

Even though he's a tall guy and not a girl, there is still the danger of being raped or murdered at gunpoint, or as some of you have mentioned dying in a crash with some maniac driver.

Since most decent people do not pick up hitch hikers, that leaves other types. Very, very few would pick a guy up just to be nice and expect no money in return or have no criminal motives. Most truckers are forbidden by their companies' insurance regulations to take anyone else in the truck with them. I see his prospects for a ride being very limited down to those you wouldn't want to ride with,or shouldn't ride with.

I have tried to tell him all the bad things that could happen but he thinks I'm only trying to scare him. He seems determined to do it but I'm worried if we'll ever see him again :sad:

What will he do if no one picks him up? Maybe the thing to ask him is "Dude, who the hell do you think is going to pick you up in this day and age?"

Although if there are websites dedicated to hitchhiking, I guess some people still do. Good luck.

Just tell him, "Large Marge will get him....." BWAAAAAAAA!!!

large-marge-animated.gif

I would never do it. It's ridiculously dangerous. I had a guy I was on a date with attempt to abduct me when I got into his car, I can't even imagine the possibilities if I let some stranger driving down the road pick me up.

I've hitched from Texas to California and back. Not the most efficient way to travel, but at least pretty interesting. Unlike this threads creator's brother, I actually had money (well, credit and ATM card + cell phone). I was doing it just to do it, not because I had didn't have money.

It can be dangerous, but that is part of the fun. Sitting on your biscuit without ever having to risk it is a pretty damn boring way to live, IMHO.

I find it funny that a lot of people here seem to think that anyone picking up a hitchhiker is going to be a crazy homicidal maniac. If a car pulls over, talk to them for a few minutes, sum them up by their appearance, car they drive, etc. If I thought someone was to shady to ride with, I didn't.

I just got tired of living a nerf life, reading about other people's adventures over the internet. I got out there and did it.

I've also backpacked across Europe like a lot of people. And for some reason, that doesn't have a stigma attached to it. Like that is a lot safer! lol!

But hitching is not safe

One of the safest things a person can do is stay inside their dwelling at all times. And yet there is the risk of slipping on a bar of soap in the shower, falling down stairs, starting a fire on accident, etc. I just feel it is better to go out there and do something exciting rather than sit around all day worrying if I'm safe from all the bad things.

Also, from what I gather from
Butterscotch's statements, you and your family seem to be telling him how dumb and stupid and unreasonable he is for having an idea outside the perceived "normal" way of living. Maybe you should have a discussion with him where you are not so judgmental, but rather just discuss your concern for him because you love him. Don't call him an idiot or the likes. What if Bono's mother told him he was a waste of space for wanting to be in a band?

Last edited:
upabove said:

One of the safest things a person can do is stay inside their dwelling at all times. And yet there is the risk of slipping on a bar of soap in the shower, falling down stairs, starting a fire on accident, etc. I just feel it is better to go out there and do something exciting rather than sit around all day worrying if I'm safe from all the bad things.

There are always risks in life. While you don't have to be overly paranoid and worrisome about everything, a healthy dose of caution is wise. To not want to engage in an activity which is notorious for being dangerous isn't just being a scared little wussy who hides under the bed...it's just common sense in regards to trying to be safe.

Bonochick said:

it's just common sense in regards to trying to be safe.

Well, not everyone wants to be a common person. Those who don't want to be common are often ostracized for it.

Dream Out Loud, but not TOO loud, right? :|

Dream out loud...at high volume, do your thang, whatever floats your boat. My replies are merely my opinion...as are yours. :) I don't fault people who feel that way, but I may offer an alternate view.

I'm the first to admit, to anybody looking in, my life probably doesn't seem very exciting. It feels very full to me though, with great people and lots of interests. I'm happy. I don't want to risk jeopardizing all of that by engaging in activities deemed to be risky. :shrug:

How about dreaming of a perfect world where everyone is a good, honest person?

It isn't about being common, it is about being smart. Getting in car with someone you don't know is just stupid. Besides, it is illegal to hitchhike in a good many places.

Last edited:
upabove said:
I've hitched from Texas to California and back. Not the most efficient way to travel, but at least pretty interesting. Unlike this threads creator's brother, I actually had money (well, credit and ATM card + cell phone). I was doing it just to do it, not because I had didn't have money.

With high gas prices, drivers might demand money. So it may not be a great alternative. What's the backup up plan if no one stops, and where does one spend the night? Hitching or backpacking through Europe is considered safer than hitching in the US according to many websites I've seen (I've also traveled in Europe).

As a single woman of small stature, deciding not to get into a car with a stranger isn't about living life without any risk. It's about survival, thank you very much.

And of course not every person who might pick you up is a homicidal maniac. It's still not a risk I'm willing to take.

But if you feel comfortable with being able to judge someone's character and the situation in a brief few minutes and feel comfortable going with them, more power to you. Hitchhike away. I do understand the romanticized notion of traveling that way.

something-about-mary-hitchhiker.jpg

"7's the key number here! Think about it. 7-Elevens. 7 doors. 7, man, that's the number. 7 chipmunks twirlin' on a branch, eatin' lots of sunflowers on my uncle's ranch. You know that old children's tale from the sea. It's like you're dreamin' about Gorgonzola cheese when it's clearly Brie time, baby. Step into my office!"

upabove said:

I've also backpacked across Europe like a lot of people. And for some reason, that doesn't have a stigma attached to it. Like that is a lot safer! lol!

Yes, because sitting on a Eurail train is the equivalent of getting into a car alone with an absolute stranger.

Are you male, perchance?

For some unknown reason, just in the past couple of years, I have seen numerous hitchhikers in my area. It's like they suddenly started popping up. But I still don't see that many.
And I've never seen one get picked up.
Typically, they end up being a novelty to gawk at.
Once, I did see one give up and walk to a bus stop instead though.

For better or worse, I think the days of hitchhiking have passed.

Mr. BAW said:
Just tell him, "Large Marge will get him....." BWAAAAAAAA!!!

large-marge-animated.gif

:lmao:
It was the worst accident I've ever seen...

I've picked up people around campus and driven them to their car in order to get their parking space. I've also been picked up by strangers too. Risky risky risky. :tsk:

I have to wonder what is so special about sitting on your ass in someone else's car? :huh:

If he wants to prove he can do something special why doesn't he plan a walking or bicycling trip across country? He might have to work for a little while to get the money for supplies (and a bike if he chose that method), but that shows a hell of a lot more initiative than hitchhiking.

And for those who like danger, there is still a fair dose of that in walking or bicycling on roads too.

Thanks again, you've all got thoughtful responses that have been a big help. You've brought up things I haven't thought of before, like getting stranded somewhere far away for days when one ride takes you as far as he's going, and you can't find another ride! Then there's the problem of someone not wanting to give a free ride. Somebody might pick up a hitcher to help pay for gas, but not many will give you a free ride. Hitching seems so bad on both sides, for the hitcher and the hitchee, but that's my feelings.

upabove, my brother's views are exactly like yours. He'd agree with everything you said.

Who is Ivan Milat?

I used to hitch-hike when I lived in Switzerland a few years ago. But never alone and never at night. Usually it was just short rides up the mountain to the village where I was staying. There was only one road up the mountain and pretty much everyone taking it was going to one of the string of villages on that one road, so they would take pity and stop and help a stranger. It's certainly an interesting experience. You have to learn ways to make yourself look unthreatening and friendly so people would take a chance on you. Then of course, there was always the language barrier...broken French/English/whatever. Good times fun.

I don't think I'd ever consider hitching in the States tho. Certainly never alone.

Back
Top Bottom