High Cholesterol

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tiny dancer

Blue Crack Distributor
I find out from same blood work that I am border line with high cholesterol. I was :shocked: for I don't eat a lot of fried foods or eat fat foods. I am not over weight. My doctor feels that it is due to genetic factors, since my 2 older brothers have it. He wants me to try and control it by diet and exercise, rather then take medication. Does anyone here have high cholesterol, and how are you managing with it. If anyone has any suggestions, I really would appreciate it very much to hear how you are dealing with it.

tiny dancer said:
I find out from same blood work that I am border line with high cholesterol. I was :shocked: for I don't eat a lot of fried foods or eat fat foods. I am not over weight. My doctor feels that it is due to genetic factors, since my 2 older brothers have it. He wants me to try and control it by diet and exercise, rather then take medication.

um if its due to genetic reasons, i dont see how controlling your diet and exercise would help much. especially as it seems your diet is fine as is. seems to me taking meds would be your best bet, but im no doctor, though i did stay at a holiday inn express last night.

well, if your body due to genetical reasons cannot break down the cholesterol that you're eating from your blood quickly enough then it does make sense to eat less cholesterol.

U2Man said:
well, if your body due to genetical reasons cannot break down the cholesterol that you're eating from your blood quickly enough then it does make sense to eat less cholesterol.

yeah but what if youve already got a great diet, but because of genetics your cholestoral is always a little high? thats when meds come in handy.

it sounds like tonydanzas diet is pretty decent already.

true.

actually there are two kinds of cholesterol - the good (hdl) and the ugly (vldl and ldl). i wonder if tonydanza's blood has been tested thoroughly. it's not a bad thing to have too much of the good stuff. they often do more than one test to find out what kind of cholesterol is in abundance. :hmm:

My mum also had borderline high cholesterol despite her diet and weight always being good. Her doctor wanted her to take medication to reduce it, but she didn't want to. She already had to take massive amounts of medications for her heart condition -- which was caused when her heart was damaged by rheumatic fever, not by blockages, etc. -- and she was always concerned with drug interactions.

After a little battle of wills (which was kinda fun to watch), her doctor said "Fine. Take 1000 unites of Vitamin E every day and we will do another test in a month or two. She did that and her cholesterol went down significantly. Her doctor said "I didn't think it would do it, but it's working for you, so just keep doing it." (She looked absolutely triumphant too. It was pretty funny. :) )

I don't know if it would work for everyone, or if it's really even supposed to work at all. But it worked for her. She never did have to take medication for it.

tiny dancer said:
I find out from same blood work that I am border line with high cholesterol. I was :shocked: for I don't eat a lot of fried foods or eat fat foods. I am not over weight. My doctor feels that it is due to genetic factors, since my 2 older brothers have it. He wants me to try and control it by diet and exercise, rather then take medication. Does anyone here have high cholesterol, and how are you managing with it. If anyone has any suggestions, I really would appreciate it very much to hear how you are dealing with it.

Lipitor

Genetics' role in hypercholesterolemia is greatly overplayed. It is true that genetics do play a role. You can have Familial Hypercholesterolemia, but that'll give you cholesterol levels near a thousand---not something like 240. It's also true that genetics can have a smaller effect. However, everyone, doctors included, like to blame things on genes these days whenever they see more than one family member with a similar trait. The fact of the matter is that siblings or children/parents often do the same things. They'll have similar eating & exercise habits---if not now as adults, then usually at least when they were children, which has an impact on adult life, too. A family of parents and children who are overweight, for example, will often be labeled as having a genetic predisposition to being overweight; in reality, their situation is more likely due to their "family culture"---habits that they all share.

My take on the "nature vs. nurture" argument is that genes define a spectrum, but it's what you do that determines where you fall on that spectrum.

I'm only a pediatrician & don't deal with adult cholesterol issues daily :wink:, but here's my advice:

- Eat more fiber. Fiber helps grab onto cholesterol so that you poop it out instead of letting it float around in your bloodstream. Don't bother getting bread that has less than 3grams of fiber per serving. If you eat cereal, get one that has at least 5 grams a serving.

- Whole grains. You really do get used to whole grain pasta, brown rice, etc. More fiber & other nutrients.

- Fruits & veggies. The hardest thing to add sometimes, but great for fiber & vitamins. Notice the fiber theme. :wink:

- Try and eat mindfully. When I ask parents & kids about what they eat, they'll usually only tell me about their three daily meals. It often takes some prodding to hear about the snacks, the nibbles, etc. It's not that they're necessarily trying to hide it, it's just that most of us don't often think about what we're eating. There's a great mindful eating meditation where it takes about 5 minutes to eat a single grape---and you don't even bite into the grape for the first 4! The idea isn't to take 5 minutes every time you eat a grape, but instead to actually think about what you're eating. You end up enjoying the food a little more, and you also end up eating a little less---you'll recognize when you're getting full before you are full, etc.

- Butter & oil. If you use oil on a pan, use only olive oil & measure it---a few teaspoons surprisingly does the trick. There's no need to put butter on anything except on rare occasions. (and I'm a guy who loves cinnamon toast lathered in butter!)

- Exercise (of course)---usually easier said than done. :wink:

- Try not to eat "fake" stuff. Splenda, NutraSweet, etc. There's not a direct link to cholesterol or anything, but I've noticed with me, my wife, and with others, that cutting out that stuff just seems to help overall. High fructose corn syrup is another one. The fewer the ingredients, the better!

It's a slow process....it's usually easier to start with one or two things at a time. The big one is really the fiber. Fiber-rich breads, cereals, crackers, brown rice....that's the clincher.

Last edited:
Thanks you eveyone for all your in put & advice. I'll try the Vitamin E, (indra), and try to eat more fiber (utoo) in my diet. I really don't want to start taking Statins, if i don't have to.

I have had high cholesterol for awhile and it it hereditary. I've been taking the liptor for years and it's helped keep it under control :) You do however, have to have blood work done every few months to check your liver function while you are taking it.

My mother has high cholesterol too and is actually under weight, always has been. She was told recently to gain at least 10 lbs. I don't know how she's going to do it. Her dr. doesn't want to put her on meds for her cholesterol but after a year it's not going down on it's own. She gets tons of exercise, rarely sitting still.

I'd love for her to pack on some pounds without raising her cholesterol. Not that she will do anything I tell her but I'll suggest more fiber.

U2Man said:
whole grain pasta :barf:

what about pop corn? isn't it filled with fiber?

I :heart: whole grain pasta, I can't stand the regular stuff now :yuck: too starchy :down:

Pop corn is pretty useless in a nutrional sense, there is fibre but it's relativley low. Corn in general is not a very usefull food since your body can't break it down very well...

whole grain pasta is something you eat only if 1) you have high cholesterol 2) your name is utoo.

You should take Omega-3 and 6 fatty acids or plant sterols. Anyway... life style modifications are ALWAYS the first thing to do. You also need to consider age and your cholesterol levels because with genetics, levels tend to increase as you get older. Statins are one of the best drugs on the planet. Many cardiologits, if you can tolerate them, think everyone should be on them along with aspirin and an ACE-Inhibitor so it wouldn't be a bad thing. There are also many generic satatins on the market now so Lipitor may not be the best thing for you based on price. Lovastatin and pravastatin for example are good.

My dad has had cholesterol problems and is a borderline diabetic, though he eats fairly sensibly. I'm pretty sure he takes a cholesterol medication, but he tries to be careful about what he eats, too.

Oatmeal can help you to lower your cholesterol. I'd say try to avoid the little packs that are loaded with artificial flavorings and sugar and go for the plain kind. You can mix in some fruit or a little bit of brown sugar.

Maybe try keeping a journal of everything you eat for a week or two. It could be that some parts of your diet are contributing to your problem that you don't even realize. Seeing what you eat can help you to come up with a plan, and you can also show it to your doctor to see if he/she has any suggestions.

I think the important thing with making any lifestyle changes is to aim for moderation, not deprivation. If you allow yourself treats once in awhile, you'll be more likely to stick with your changes. Now is a great time of year to eat healthy, because so many fruits are coming into season :drool:

I have high blood cholesterol. My doctor put me on some medication, Vytorin. I'm somewhat overweight from my autism medication, which I can't stop taking. I'm supposed to go back for another blood test, and hopefully I'll be better.

Diet can definitely help. But if you're like me and take medication that makes you gain weight you really need to take medication.

Back
Top Bottom