Having a Friend Issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yep, that's what happened. His father uses stuff as a substitute for actually spending time with him. When I was younger, I tried to help him. He's adopted and I always doted on him when he was a baby ever since he came "off the plane", so when he got older I tried to get him to play soccer, build forts in the yard, ride bikes...but then his dad would come home and just hand him a new Gameboy or whatever. I'm not saying every spoiled kid is like this, but it DOES happen and it DOES affect the child. Now that he's in high school, I cringe to think about how other people might be treating him b/c he's so socially inept and really lacks a lot of basic common sense and empathy for others.

Look, this is a once-a-year thing. And obviously, the parents can afford to do it.

So what? What's your point in griping about it, other than you personally don't like how they seem to be raising their son?

I think this is about you, not them. I'm questioning why you're so invested in worrying about this kind of one-off thing? What's good enough for you is good enough for you. However, what's good enough for them is obviously something different. Let it go.

Well thanks for the snippy advice!

And for you information, the whole issue that I had was for the compatibility of morals they are instilling that would become a problem for my son and his friend in their future years together. I do like this boy and his family but sooner or later their materialism could come between the two of them.

If you read the posts above, I said I can very well give my son a lavish party for his birthday as well. I choose not to be so materialistic, which I am trying to teach my children.

Look, all I'm saying is to keep your nose out of it. Don't start a war and cause these kids' friendship to end any sooner than it has to, /if/ it ends. It might, it might not. I certainly didn't mean to imply that you couldn't afford it.

I'm just wondering why you're so up in arms over how they choose to raise their child. The fact that you're unable to keep your personal opinion to yourself bothers me a whole lot more than their spoilage of their child.

Seriously, good for you that you aren't materialistic. Bully for them they they are. Just keep your nose out of it and stop adopting such a holier-than-thou attitude about childrearing. You're judging them - they're probably judging you, too. :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom