Havin' A Tough Time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maro_chik

Refugee
First confession...

I went to my doctor last Saturday due to severe anxiety problems. Any new or different social situation drives my crazy. I get paranoid, overanalyze everything, and rehearse every possible scenario that could occur. Now I'm on 2 different kinds of medication. I feel great that I could get the help that I needed, but I'm still anxious... About being anxious. About having this problem. About trying to be 'normal'. My parents have been great and supportive, but I still feel like I have to get through this on my own almost, since most of my days are spent away from home. Apparently the meds take a few weeks to start their magic, but since starting, I seem to feel worse than before. Hopefully I can get through this on top. :(

:hug:
It's great that you have your parents there for support. Some meds take time to kick in but you may want to check with your Doctor or Pharmacist just to make sure since you are feeling 'worse'. Take care.

fah said:
It's great that you have your parents there for support. Some meds take time to kick in but you may want to check with your Doctor or Pharmacist just to make sure since you are feeling 'worse'. Take care.

:yes:

I have a lot of the same some problems, plus depression. I've been on four different kinds of medication so far. The month I was on the third one was by far the worst I can ever remember feeling. It made me SO anxious that I CONSTANTLY felt like I was going to have a heart-attack. It would take me forever to fall asleep, but then I wouldn't be able to fully wake up for several hours the next day. I would go crazy over everything little thing (even more than usual), to the point of being suicidal over an essay. :reject:

My doctor was really cold about the whole thing and wanted me to just stay on them, but I honestly don't think I'd be alive now (or I'd at least be a lot worse off) if I hadn't stopped taking them after a month. I switched to another kind, and have had few side effects and seen a lot of improvement in how I handle things (though I'm worried that's starting to decline after two months of taking them, so I'm going to try to get the dosage adjusted).

There's most likely no miracle drug that will solve all of your problems (and it sounds like you know that), and medications work differently for different people, so you might have to try a few different kinds/combinations and try them for a while before you see improvement. That said, only YOU know how you feel, and if you think the medication is making you feel worse, you should definitely tell your doctor. If it's not unbearable, they might adjust the dosage or have you wait it out a bit, but if it's really interfering with your life, it's probably a good idea to try something else.

You also might want to look at some books on the subject, or try meditation or exercise or things like that, just so you feel like you're doing something to get a handle on this (though going to the doctor is a huge step in itself).

Good luck. :):hug:

I've been where you are and have, for the most part, managed to come out on the other side of things. I won't tell my whole story here, but if you ever need to talk about it with someone who has been there, feel free to e-mail me. babyswan11@hotmail.com

:hug: :hug: :hug: !!!!

Been there, done that. I've had some really bad reactions to meds, and some better ones. The ones I'm on right now are pretty good but not perfect. They make me a bit tired and dizzy, but they've stabilized my emotions and calmed me down mucho. It can take awhile to sort itself out, but it usually does.

Aw, thanks guys. :) After thinking about it some more, I think the worse feelings may have been side effects from the first couple of days. (Headaches, fatigue, etc)

I am supposed to make an appointment to see my doctor again, to check up on how things are working out I guess.

I'd been having these feelings for a few years, and I had a panic attack last week, which hinted that seeing a doctor might be necessary.

This may be a stupid question but... If/When you go off the meds, is everything A-Ok? Or does the anxiety return?

I have a good friend has some slight case of anxiety disorder and I never realized this until she told me. Then I felt kinda bad for not knowing and not being more supportive. :(

I have been on antidepressants before. One made me so ill I lost 7 kilos in 3 days. The other one worked a treat. Sometimes you may just need to find the right chemical match for you. Everyones different.

As for coming off them, I presume anxiety tablets are similar/same as antidepressants in which case they will take you off them slowly by decreasing the dose for a while. The doctor should watch you over that period to make sure your okay. If you have a good doctor whom you trust you will be alright.

Take care, I hope the drugs kick in soon.

Be careful, don't get off the meds too fast. I was getting off of a medication too fast and had some truly nasty problems, so we slowed down the process. I had to call the doc about the problem.

I know where you're coming from, but I chose to forego the prescription medications and decided to go the natural route. A year and two months later, I was just told today that I was "cured"...lol. Do they actually mean it when they say that? :p

Anyway, there are many paths to the same end goal. I would say to continue with the medication as-is, but if you find yourself dissatisfied in the long-term (i.e., side effects or whatever), never give up! Getting rid of anxiety is perhaps the best feeling ever, and I'm confident that you will be able to get past it.

Just something to note: even on the natural meds, there was this period, in the beginning, where I felt like my old self "died" and I felt "detached" from myself. I have heard this happen with people on prescriptions mostly, and if you feel that, I assure you that that feeling of "detachment" or metaphorical personality "death" goes away after a few days.

Melon

melon said:
there was this period, in the beginning, where I felt like my old self "died" and I felt "detached" from myself.
I think that's what I'm feeling now. I've been moping around and sleeping alot. (Not to mention not doing homework and studying) Hopefully it will go away like you say it will.

Unfortunately I'm also experiencing zero appetite. My mum went and got me some 'Ensure' meal replacements from the pharmacy today. And I have two appointments in the next two weeks, so maybe I can get things sorted out some more.

Once again, thanks for all the support; I don't feel so alone anymore. :)

Back
Top Bottom