Have to go to a wedding + HALP. D:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MooMoo!

New Yorker
I have to go to my half sisters wedding reception thing, and Im pretty damn scared. :reject: Because

1)I havent seen her for 4 years
2)Although we get on fine, I dont really know her all that well, plus Ive never met her 2 yr old daughter, so awkwardness ahoy!
3)I'VE NEVER BEEN TO A WEDDING BEFORE. :scream:
4)Ill have to miss my mums birthday to go. :( (shes ok with it, but still.)

I sort of got the general idea from the invite that money or vouchers are the preffered gift, so thats a worry gone. Im having a panic about what to wear though. Like I said Ive never been to a wedding or reception, so I dont know what the general dress is. Id imagine smart, but to what extent?! :der: I have some smart clothes, but nothing wedding-worthy, and Im TOTALLY anti dresses. :|

Can anyone help me out on what to wear? even give me some websites with ideas? Id ideally like to wear a nice blouse and long jacket, but I dont know if that qualifies as "ok". :huh:

Im trying to put off the "oh god, what the hell do I talk about?" stress till I get there. 98% of who are going to this I DO NOT KNOW. The fact I dont know my dads side of the family all that well anyway doesnt help.

The fear. I has it. :crack:

Could your ask your Mum or a friend to go shopping with you? If you ask in the shops I'm sure the sales assistants will be able to help you. I worked in retail for a few summers and a lot of people would come in and ask for help choosing an outfit and wanted to know what was popular.

They'll be able to help you find something that suits you and show you what other people have bought/considered for a wedding. Unless the bride and groom have stated otherwise, it will more than likely be a rather formal event. If you don't want to wear a skirt or a suit, you could always get a nice pair of suit trousers and maybe get a nice corset top that you could wear a bolero over or a halterneck - I've seen a lot of girls wear them at weddings. :)

And don't worry. There'll probably be so many people there you won't have time to chat to everyone for a long time. I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

Just a tip... you may know how formal or how informal the wedding is by the time of day it is taking place as well as the invitation.

7pm? :/

Well, TBH, none of my dads side of the family are exactly "posh". (some think they are. :eyebrow: ) so I cant see it being high class in that sense. But still. Its the lack of experiance thats frightening me.

I'm with you on the getting dressed up end of things, I hate it. The cruises I have been on I wore a pair of black velveteen pants, and a sparkly top with some sparkly earrings, a nice comfy pair of dressy shoes and felt pretty amazing with my hair all curled and makeup on. The outfits weren't too spendy so I think I lucked out and it was kind of fun putting it all together I have to admit. It's amazing how easy it is to dress up or down a pair of dress pants! You could go that route, just don't out do the Bride or wedding party! As for talking to the Bride, hope she is super busy on "her" big day so you won't have much time to talk about a lot, but make nice with the usual--how has she been, congrats on her wedding, tell her she looks gorgeous, comment on the wedding, etc. Same with the family. Keep it light and don't drink too much! You won't wanna do something or say something you'll wish you could take back especially when you're already nervous about the event!).

For a 7pm wedding I think a nice pair of dress pants, heels, a pretty blouse and long coat would be fab. You will be comfy and can dress yourself up however much you like. A pretty sparkly scarf would look nice for evening also.

Most of all relax and try to have a nice time. And send some pictures! :wink: Good Luck!

Good info there. I pretty much have the long coat/blouse/dress pants bit almost covered, but its going with boots. :lol: I dont think Ive ever wore heels in my life. Id just fall over. :der: I have some nice doc martens though, a salmon pink, but a nice sort of colour, the kind of colour you think would never go with anything then when you put them on theyre great.

A scarf though I didnt think of. :hmm: Mum has loads so I can borrow one of hers. Ill do some practice dressing up. :wink:

Do you mean the reception at 7?

I'm guessing everyone going will be dressed formally. You could wear kitten heels or nice flat pumps? Unless the invitation states otherwise, it's assumed that the dress code is very smart/formal for weddings here. I think Doc Martens might not be very suitable. :shrug:

weddings aren't all that formal over here
but i'd have to say that when in doubt dress sort of smart at least

chances that you'll stand out because of being overdressed are quite slim to say the least

Last edited:
Lara Mullen said:
Do you mean the reception at 7?

I'm guessing everyone going will be dressed formally. You could wear kitten heels or nice flat pumps? Unless the invitation states otherwise, it's assumed that the dress code is very smart/formal for weddings here. I think Doc Martens might not be very suitable. :shrug:
No-one looks at the feet. ;) And the pants pretty much cover them anyway. It should be well known within the family circle that Im not a girly girl. (Or it should if the last 18 years havent given them a hint. :p)

MooMoo! said:
Good info there. I pretty much have the long coat/blouse/dress pants bit almost covered, but its going with boots. :lol: I dont think Ive ever wore heels in my life. Id just fall over. :der: I have some nice doc martens though, a salmon pink, but a nice sort of colour, the kind of colour you think would never go with anything then when you put them on theyre great.

A scarf though I didnt think of. :hmm: Mum has loads so I can borrow one of hers. Ill do some practice dressing up. :wink:

:up: Sounds like you are all set. I like the Doc Martens idea. I'd go for comfort not the heels, smart move.

Back
Top Bottom