Grrrrr! Arrrrrrg! Bahhhhh!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Basstrap

ONE love, blood, life
I hate school!!!!!! ARGGGG!

first when I started I was kinda geared to go, now ALL my drive has dissipated into the air leaving me suspended in some state of apathy. I have to finish what I have started but I have to force myself to get up every morning.
In fact, I'm missing a class right now. I took a quick nap in the afternoon and slept in(its an evening class) and I'm not walking in on the middle of a lecture!!

My life revolves around music. When I'm in school all I want to do is go home and play guitar. Im alwasy continually writing music, its the best way I have to express feelings and to get them out.

I am completely sure that God has put this drive in me, this insatiable love for music. I'm convinced this is one of the few things in life that will make me 100% at peace and content

(I also LOOOVE animals, and would love to work as a vet or zoo keeper and I love space and thinking about its complexities, i.e. Astro physics....but those ships have sailed)

And at any rate...these aforementioned things don't touch my passion for music. Its just everything to me some days.

But here's the irony....or, as I see it sometimes, the big JOKE!:

He has given me this unending drive to make music and has given me the ability to do it YET I am a very shy person and I just don't have what it takes to play in front of people. Not saying that God made me shy but why not give me a little courage or something...thats ALL I ask..I swear...a little courage!!!!!

GRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAARGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!

Basstrap, I can empathize. Last year was my senior year of college and all the energy and drive that I had once had seemed to entirely dissipate. I found myself skipping classes and turning in half-assed work if I even bothered. As a result, I am still sitting here a year later finishing up course-work that I ought to have done last year. But I digress.

If you have a gift, then I don't think God is intentionally trying to screw you over by making it impossible for you to use it. You love music. Do you gain joy by simply playing music for yourself? Maybe for close friends? I think the mere act of enjoying the boundless gifts (like music) that God gave us is a form of worship in and of itself. It doesn't have to have utililitarian uses.

In a practical sense, if you feel as though performance is where you want to do with it, then maybe starting off by playing impromptu jam sessions in a relaxed environment would be good. It would help build experience and confidence for you. As someone who has played piano and guitar almost my whole life, I know....it is hard to do it in front of an audience, especially at first. But it does become easier the more you do it.

btw, one of my very good friends is rather shy and has made a really nice side-career in the local music scene. Somehow he has managed to turn his wry self-effacing sense of humour to good use on stage and he's a very talented singer/songwriter. (just to let you know that it can happen ;) )

anyways, hope you find what you are looking for. Hang on there.

-sula

Sula hit the nail right on the head.

Sometimes obstacles get in the way and you really have to test yourself to see if you can make it to the next step. Give it a shot. Think about your music and not the crowd, it makes it easier. Smile and have fun that always works for me! :D

BTW, I'm right there with you guys on the school thing. I only have to complete about 10 units! And they're electives and one senior project! I'm so close and yet so far....:scream:

I know this might not be the support you need, but the first step to getting over the shyness is to just get out there and do it. Find an open mic night, or just have some friends over or something, but get yourself up in front of a crowd and do it. The first time might be hell and might scare you half to death, but it will only get easier from there.

I speak from experience, too. I'm still fairly shy today, but in jr high and high school I was almost painfully so. My sophomore year of high school, the music director at my church wanted me to play piano during communion, so I did. I was so incredibly nervous that I don't know how I actually finished my piece without totally screwing up. My foot was shaking so bad it must have looked like I was having some sort of seizure to anyone looking, and I spent half the time trying to stop it. BUT, I got through it, and people liked it, and it did get easier as time went on. It took a while to get over the fear of performing in front of other people, but I did get over it and now it's a lot of fun to perform. I don't think you can ever get rid of the nervousness, but you can learn how to control it and channel it. Now before I perform I take a little time to just calm down and remind myself why I'm playing - to share music with others. Not to showcase myself or my talents, not to be the center of attention, but to hopefully get the spirit of the music across.

So my advice is to just get out there and start performing. You'll probably be a nervous wreck for a little while, but the only way to become comfortable with it is to do it a lot.

Thanks dieman!!

Actually, me and my sis are playing open mic this thursday!!
Probably mostly covers but its a start. Some time I'm just gonna break out one of my own...maybe eventually I'll worm my way into the locan music scene.

Possible songs we'll cover;

Pitselah - Elliott SMith
The Biggest lie - Elliott SMith
Stephanie Says - Velvet Underground
Witches Rave - Jeff Buckley(a toughy to do with just one guitar, however)

Numerous artists have struggled with stage fright. Rod Stewart used to sing with his back to the audience many moons ago, and is now one of the most outgoing performers onstage. It can be overcome.
In the meantime, don't miss classes...even if you become a successful musician, education will come in handy.

Sounds like a good plan, basstrap. I was going to add that you should try and play with someone else if you can - for me it's a lot easier to control nervousness and actually relax onstage when you've got someone else up there with you, but it looks like you've got that part figured out ;).

Moses said to the LORD, "O Lord, I have never been eloquent, neither in the past nor since you have spokent to your servant. I am slow of speech and tongue."

The LORD said to him, "Who gave man his mouth? Who makes him deaf or mute? Who gives him sight or makes him blind? Is it not I; the LORD? Now go; I will help you speak and will teach you what to say."

But Moses said, "O LORD, please send someone else to do it."
-------------------------------

The word of the Lord came to Jonah son of Amittai: "Go to the great city of Nineveh and preach against it, because its wickedness has come up before me."

But Jonah ran away from the Lord and headed for Tarshish...
-------------------------------

The LORD turned to him and said, "Go in the strength you have and save Israel out of Midian's hand. Am I not sending you?"

"But Lord , " Gideon asked, "how can I save Israel? My clan is the weakest in Manasseh, and I am the least in my family."

The LORD answered, "I will be with you, and you will strike down all the Midianites together."
--------------------------------

Bottomline: lots of shy, cowardly, scared people did great things because God was with them.

I guess.

foray

Hey Basstrap, tell me I'm a wingnut if needed, but would you consider getting a busking licence and travelling to a city a few hours away? You aren't likely to see people you know, it will still be hard with nerves, but you can play, see how people react to you, make a little bit of cash, doing something you love in the purest way, and every cent you get will be from people who have decided to hand over their cash because they like your music. You will also slowly be introduced to playing in front of strangers.

I dunno, I just thought it might be something for you to consider. It has a lot of advantages.

Plus...some stars have been discovered that way......:yes:

No Angela, thats a great idea! Half the reason why I'm afraid to go downtown and play is because I'm afraid there'll be people there I know. Its a weird paradox of human nature that we are more comfortable performing in front of those who are strangers than in front of those who are our friends!

The only problem is, the nearest city to me that would be and sense in going to is like 10 hours away! I'm in Newfoundland...an island...its expensive to get off here!

Also, Foray!!
You don't know how much good that did for me!
very cool!

bassy, mebbe if/when they come up with a version of American Idol for Canada (Canadian Idol?) you can sign up. :tongue:

They had a version of that before american idol came out :huh:

Called Popstar

This years result: Velvet Underground
Last year: Sugar Jones

AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Awww, ((((((((((Basstrap)))))))))).

I was originally going to a university for a 5-year Elementary Education major...but then I transferred to a community college and am in a 2-year program for Computer Application Specialization...I'm tired of school (I'll be finished in December...hallelujah!). Part of me is still depressed though because my high school choir teacher was all hepped up on getting me into a music school somewhere to major in Voice. I told him that music was a career that wasn't stable enough though and said I wouldn't go to any music school, so he shouldn't waste his time. He always told me that I had a talent and if I didn't use it, it would go away. He was right. In high school, I was in the choir, a school musical, an audition-only group of singers, a church choir, and I sang the National Anthem at a basketball game and over the school's PA on Monday mornings. That ended over 2 years ago. Since then, my singing is limited to when I'm home alone, in the car, or recording stupid MP3's that mock you, Basstrap. :p :D

It saddens me that my voice isn't what it used to be.

Follow your dreams, Basstrap.

Last edited:
Bonochick, my experience was much the same. High school choir, voice competitions, all-state solo thingies, and all-state choir. :huh: But going to college I decided to be all practical and get a business degree. Haven't sang in five years...or at least not in the context of good singing. *sigh* duuude, we should form an interference choir. :D :lol:

Yes! An Interference choir!!!!!!!!! That would be somethin', eh??? :)

Lookin' back, I really, really wish I would have listened to him more. Not long before graduation, I had taken a second job as a hotel housekeeper (it only lasted two weeks though cuz I ended up having to move). The problem was that I had sometimes had to work during rehearsal times. My teacher got mad and said, "Yeah, like knowing how to make a bed at a hotel is really gonna help your future." I had thought he was such a jerk for it, but now I realize he was right...I was too obsessed with money, and I missed out on some great moments. Singing was my favorite thing in the world.

yeah, I have come to realize that leaving out the 'music' part of my life for the last five years has really created a hole. I've been trying to get back into at least plunking around on the guitar and when I'm over in Switzerland this fall, I shall have lots of time to mess around on both the guitar and piano. I did not know how much I would miss the creative process. :(

You should come to one of our Twin Cities Irish brunches. :D Oftentimes, there is a guitar involved and we sit outside and sing U2 songs in harmony. :yes: Good fun.

Hey Basstrap!
I don?t know what to make of you... what was this website about then? Edinburgh et al.

However, if you suffer from stage fright, try to use it positively.
I love this mood when I am playing a gig. It makes me feel shaky, but also gives me a lot of energy; and I know that after the second song I will feel comfortable, as if I would be playing at home. So, just try to channel it.

Bonochick: Sing whenever you want and don?t be sad for having lost a possibility. I would go as far as saying when you sing in your bathtub, it has the same personal value like any other musical happening.

Whoever has this great gift, it doesn?t matter if hestays at home to do it only privately, or does music courses or releases an album or gets naked and famous. And you better be happy you got a good job that satisfies you instead of snorting coke with rich suckers who welcome you to the machine.

What Basstrap is neglecting to mention is that me and my three bandmates have expressed to him on several occasions that not only do we think he's talented, but we also agree that God gave him those talents for a reason, and we would love to have him with us.

While we are by no means big established rock stars, we are appearing on upcoming CDs, have played many shows, are writing daily, and we are at the point where we know we need another guitarist, one with the same musical leanings and experiences as Basstrap.

God is hardly playing a cruel joke. It seems more likely to me that he's dropping opportunities in your lap.

Shyness can be a big problem, but to let it limit you is not fair to yourself, or to the people who need to hear what you have to say.

Since graduating from college, I haven't auditioned for a single play, sat down at the piano to rehearse, or looked into voice lessons. I feel my range/ability slipping away and it's killing me. So, I finally bit the bullet. I've set up a small studio in my dad's office and I'm singing for the first time in public tomorrow night. I'm scared to death, and my date flaked on me, but I know that as soon as I walk on stage I'll remember why I do this.

The point is just get out there and do it. You have the passion for a reason! Share it!

Glad you have thought about it Basstrap. Hope you can get through the nerves thing. It sucks about your geography prob.
At least KingPin has another option for you!
Hope you can sort something out matie. You gotta follow your dreams sometimes.

:)

Yes...KingPin is right!!
I'm very happy to have the chance to play in their band. Sometimes I worry I won't contibute very well but I'm sure that could be unfounded.

On a related note, me and my sis played open mic last night.

Stephanie Says - Velvet Underground
The Biggest Lie - Elliot Smith
Slow Dancing - U2

At the beginning of slow dancing my sister said "this is a song U2 wrote for Willie Nelson"
and somebody in the crowd wen YEAH!!

Then my sis sung a Sinead O Conner song by herself...the one aout Margret Thatcher.

I was sooo close to playing one of my own...I think I may do that next time...who knows.

way to go, bassy!

I hope you are recording these early shows so that in 20 years when you are famous the bootlegs can be traded on your underground fan network. :yes:

Basstrap said:
They had a version of that before american idol came out :huh:

Called Popstar

This years result: Velvet Underground
Last year: Sugar Jones

AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

I think you mean Velvet Empire...

Lou Reed didn't get famous by singing N*Sync covers...

And your doubts are most definitely unfounded. In fact, every time we practice we end up saying things like "if Kirk came in there with some guitar, that'd be great", "we'll see what ideas Kirk has and then we can incorporate that", "Kirk could take lead on this track and let you play rhythm, or vice versa..." etc.

We're already anticipating the contributions.

KingPin said:

I think you mean Velvet Empire...

Lou Reed didn't get famous by singing N*Sync covers...

Bahahahaah!!

what an odd slip

Incidently, Lou Reed should sing boy band covers....

:yes:

Peaseblossom said:
Since graduating from college, I haven't auditioned for a single play, sat down at the piano to rehearse, or looked into voice lessons. I feel my range/ability slipping away and it's killing me. So, I finally bit the bullet. I've set up a small studio in my dad's office and I'm singing for the first time in public tomorrow night. I'm scared to death, and my date flaked on me, but I know that as soon as I walk on stage I'll remember why I do this.

The point is just get out there and do it. You have the passion for a reason! Share it!

I expect a lengthy explanation as to why you didn't tell me you'd be singing again. :D

I struggled with stage fright for along time. I took a drama, speech courses to help me with it and it did. I still get nervous whenever I sing in front of people, but I love to do it and my band is really supportive of me! Its perfectly normal to. Im sure that the U2 guys still get nervous before every show that they do.:wink:

Back
Top Bottom