Growing Up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am sort of...
I never had a typical childhood, I never felt like a child, I never really wanted to be one, anyway. I don't regret it too much, but I would have liked it more if I embraced being young. I never found it appealing though.

But I'm better at acting like a kid these days, and not being so serious... But now I'm a legal adult, so I have to learn how to be responsible and such...

I don't know. Just be true to yourself, I guess that is the best answer.

"Express yourself completely and then be silent
Everything will fall into place"

Might apply, might not....

Teens want to grow up without knowing what the hell it really means. And Adults wants to recapture their youth because they know what its all about.

Think about it... Dont rush......

( A look into your future life as an adult - Bills, bills, bills, Do your own laundry, cooking etc. REAL relationship worries, bills, couple dinners with kids, bills, No running to your mom if you scratch your knee, bills, you HAVE to work because food wont arrive at your door everyday. bills,,, ) Being an adults is nice too :wink:

growing up is a lifelong process, not some magical moment when you turn 18, 20, 30... it happens so gradually and subtly that you don't even realize that it's happening.

enjoy the ride.

:up:

Techie2000 said:
I am split on this issue. On one side, I want to, the other, I do not. Maybe I should flip a coin to decide.

Except you don't have a decision in the matter.

Accept growing older as a fact of life and adjust accordingly. ;)

Melon

If we only had a choice in the matter :wink:

My 18 year son got a bug up his ass to move out 2 weeks after gradution, one month after his 18th birthday. He was in SUCH a rush to grow up he didn't realize what he was giving up in the process.

He's been in his apartment for one month now and everytime he comes to visit, he tells us how hard it is being a grown up 24/7. He works 8 to 10 hours at a day at his main job, part time at Starbucks and starts college classes in 3 weeks. He never gets to enjoy his apartment and his new freedom because he's always working! His roommates are slobs and he's taken over the role of adult, making sure they all get up for work and hand over the money for the bills...he's the only one with a checking account and the utilities are in his name :crack:

I told him not to rush into the adult world so soon, to just transition into it slowly, but he jumped in with both feet and has some regrets. I guess because I already had a child and lived on my own at his age, my own experiences with growing up too fast make me want to keep him a kid a while longer :sigh:

Bono's American Wife said:
he's the only one with a checking account and the utilities are in his name :crack:

By the time I was 18, I had two checking accounts. I think I've cycled through six banks and two mergers. I'm back up to two accounts again...lol.

Sometimes I wish I could have been more irresponsible growing up. :reject:

Melon

dandy said:
growing up is a lifelong process, not some magical moment when you turn 18, 20, 30... it happens so gradually and subtly that you don't even realize that it's happening.

enjoy the ride.

:up:

I'm 27 and still feel in some ways that I haven't grown up. (Six U2 concerts in four different cities, anyone? ;) )

It'll be fine, Techie. :hug:

Bono's American Wife said:

He's been in his apartment for one month now and everytime he comes to visit, he tells us how hard it is being a grown up 24/7. He works 8 to 10 hours at a day at his main job, part time at Starbucks and starts college classes in 3 weeks. He never gets to enjoy his apartment and his new freedom because he's always working! His roommates are slobs and he's taken over the role of adult, making sure they all get up for work and hand over the money for the bills...he's the only one with a checking account and the utilities are in his name :crack:

Oh my lord, I can relate! This has been my situation for over a year, except this summer we got some new roomies who have been SUCH a relief since they pay their rent to me on time w/o me having to ask three times and they don't force everyone to live in their filth, so things are much improved. Kudos to him for giving it a try and for you for being supportive.

My problem with being "grown up" is that sometimes I feel bad b/c my friends will suggest doing this or that and I never want to. After working all day, helping people w/ computer problems, I'd rather just lie on my bed with my eyes closed all night long than go out and do stuff. The school year is no better since now I have three jobs. I never really get stressed over work and school, but there have been so many times (mostly while living in the dorms) where I've been insanely jealous of everyone who just goes to class, gets done around 2 or 3, and has the rest of the afternoon to do homework and unwind. For the past two years, I've had classes all day Tues/Thurs and worked till 5 Mon/Wed/Fri and then had a night class 1-2 nights a week and worked my second job the nights I didn't have class :huh: Pretty much everyone else in my dorm didn't work at all while in school or worked a few hours once or twice a week or on a Saturday. I never did anything with any of the girls in the dorm besides my roomie and they never let me forget it. :rolleyes:

I had a great time as a young kid, but you couldn't pay me enough to make me want to be a teenager again.

Being an adult doesn't mean you have to lose your sense of wonder and delight, but as an adult you are fully responsible for your decisions and actions. That can be scary, but also incredibly freeing.

Re: Re: Growing Up

melon said:

Except you don't have a decision in the matter.

Accept growing older as a fact of life and adjust accordingly. ;)

Melon
Small detail...;)

I am begining to lean in favor, if only because I don't want to end up like Michael Jackson...:yikes:

Re: Re: Re: Growing Up

Techie2000 said:
Small detail...;)

I am begining to lean in favor, if only because I don't want to end up like Michael Jackson...:yikes:

That's funny, but don't worry, you won't turn out like that.

I had to grow up really fast. My mom was abusive in many ways so I moved out 3 days after I turned 18. I was still a senior in high school but it was the best decision I ever made. I had a lot of responsibilities at home as well so I was ready to be on my own.

Now you've got me thinking about Michael Jackson. I can relate to him. Just last night I was trying to think of pleasant things from my childhood. Sometimes I can't.

Life is hard, but I'm sure you'll grow up at the right pace.

Yimou, that's a good quote.

At 18 I rushed out of my house as well, moved far away to Vegasland. Moved back to live with my sick aunt at 21 until I was 22. Moved out into my own apt with a friend. Moved back with parents. Moved out into a house as a nanny at 23. Moved back to my parents. Moved out into an apt with friends at 24. Moved back to my parents. Moved in with my sick aunt and uncle at 25. Moved back to my newly divorced mom to help with kids.
Now am 27, my mother hates me and calls me a leech- and says I've been living off of her all this time, although I babysit her two bratty kids all day and clean up after them. And it's my duty to discipline them, not hers.
Going back to school to get my frickin degree and moving the hell away from my mother for good by next year.
Adulthood happens gradually, yet retracts for me. :mad:

personally my childhood was not enjoyable but i wont get into that...
\anywho, im sure in some unseen way it has helped me become stronger and appreciate much more in life

but surprisingly in a big rushto grow up persay even though im an "adult", i really just want to enjoy every day but im also not scared of aging i think itll be cool to be old[er] when i have finally settled down w/ my own place and such

growing up sucks.

Stay a giant child like me!!!

I'm 29 and I still love to run through mud puddles, make snow angels, play on slides and swing-sets and looking for seashells on the beach.

Growing older is not a choice. I suggest always trying to keep just a bit of childhood in your heart.

LoveTown said:
growing up sucks.

Stay a giant child like me!!!

I'm 29 and I still love to run through mud puddles, make snow angels, play on slides and swing-sets and looking for seashells on the beach.

Growing older is not a choice. I suggest always trying to keep just a bit of childhood in your heart.

I'm 27 and I still swing too:hyper: :hyper: everynight Mr. Dis and I go to the playground by my house and swing:drool:

Yeah Techie growing up doesn't mean wearing polyester and driving a station wagon....growing up is wonderful! Its so much better..you get to make your own decisions do what you want....you couldn't PAY me to be a teen again...and don't rush anything...just let it happen:wink:

I don't really know why .... how I became so serious.... But that is another story...

Well, I wonder what going to college will do to me - make me act more like the typical person would at my age? I don't know. I like to have fun and act like a kid in some ways, but I seem to have a distaste for it. I enjoy swinging and slides and stuff...

Maybe it's not "acting like a child" that I don't like, but more so, the idea of having a child's mindset, a childish mindset. :hmm:

But I always seem to end up playing with the kids, throwing the ball around or something - I've never really had a problem with that. Sometimes, the kids are the only ones who want to do anything, anyway :eyebrow:

seriously, growing up can be a little bit scary. But life definately improves as you age. For one, you learn to become comfortable with yourself. You also learn to let go of some of your fears and the things holding you back. Finally figuring out that life is too short to worry about every little detail is VERY sweet indeed.

Techie2000 said:
Now I really feel old...:grumpy:

me too..............my 10 year HS reunion is comming up in a few months:grumpy:

and my 5 year college one:angry:

not that I am going but still:madspit:

Wow, I am so glad I am out of HS, but at the same time, would like to start it over again.

Your grades in HS are a big factor in a lot of things, not only where you go to college, but scholarship $$$. I never even had the forsight of college until too late, as far as I'm concerned.

Work hard, VertigoGal.
It will pay off.

Always have college in mind, even if you are unsure of what you want to do or if you can go, etc, whatever. Just use it as motivation.

I wish someone told me that when I started highschool. (and a few other things about college)
I would have done things a lot differently. :|

Back
Top Bottom