Goodbye Old Mate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cass

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
the final act of kindness...
my constant companion for the past 7 years,
have we travelled a few miles together
my big beautiful boy
Gustovox.
He was euthanased at midday today, he had an inoperable tumour in his head that had spread and was causing him to struggle to eat.
That's him in my avatar over there, he sure was a character. It was weird to come up the driveway this afternoon and not have that sweet face waiting for me.
I know others have recently suffered loss, much more personal and profound...but he was my dog and I loved him.
RIP big fella :heart:

I was afraid this thread might be here today :( But you're exactly right - it really is the kindest last thing you can do for them in these situations. Such a cutie :sad:

Cass, I know what you're going through. When I was 16 years old I had to take my 16 year old dog, April to be put to sleep. She had been with me since I was a baby and it was one of the hardest things I have ever done in my life.

I'm sorry for your loss.

I am so sorry Cass .. it is always hard to lose a pet (especially a dog) because you know they always have unconditional love for you :) A dog is truly your best friend, and I know you did the right thing for your beautiful boy :hug:

Isn't it just? their love, unconditional. I have this awful sense part of me is missing. He was my shadow, that had a big smile and a wagging tail.
Thank you so much for your kind words. It really does help.
So one more time, indulge me, some baby pictures...he would have done anything for me, even wore and never-ending stream of silly hats and sunglasses...

With Great Gusto :heart:

Attachments

• gustovox3.jpg
    gustovox3.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 58
Awesome comes close. Funny thing , hub just went for a walk and the little dog won't go with him. He's right here, by my foot. My new shadow. He misses Gus too.

I got a couple of "new" poetry books the other day. This one reminds me a bit of the big fella.

"To an Old Mate" by Henry Lawson

Old Mate! In the gusty old weather,
When our hopes and our troubles were new,
In the years spent in wearing out leather,
I found you unselfish and true --
I have gathered these verses together
For the sake of our friendship and you.

You may think for awhile, and with reason,
Though still with a kindly regret,
That I've left it full late in the season
To prove I remember you yet;
But you'll never judge me by their treason
Who profit by friends -- and forget.

I remember, Old Man, I remember --
The tracks that we followed are clear --
The jovial last nights of December,
The solemn first days of the year,
Long tramps through the clearings and timber,
Short partings on platform and pier.

I can still feel the spirit that bore us,
And often the old stars will shine --
I remember the last spree in chorus
For the sake of that other Lang Syne,
When the tracks lay divided before us,
Your path through the future and mine.

Through the frost-wind that cut like whip-lashes,
Through the ever-blind haze of the drought --
And in fancy at times by the flashes
Of light in the darkness of doubt --
I have followed the tent poles and ashes
Of camps that we moved further out........

aww, cass, i'm sorry. losing a pet can be more depressing than losing certain extended family members who maybe you don't ever see, or say you really never got to know them, and you didn't have super-fond memories of the times you did visit. i know that sounds a little demented...i'll stop now.

:hug:

Back
Top Bottom