Going to college

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

livviebway

The Fly
So in about two weeks I'm moving across the country to go to college. Up until now I've just been excited, but the reality of moving really far away is starting to hit as I contemplate packing up my room. What if no one likes me? What if all the classes are too hard? What if I get really really homesick? I feel kind of stupid, but the longest I've ever spent away from my family before was 2 weeks at summer camp...

Sigh. Sorry about that.

I remember going away for a couple of weeks when I was younger and got really homesick. Afterwards I looked back and thought it was daft, because after I'd returned home I realised I was actually away for no time at all.

So when I went off to college I went with a different attitude. I knew I wasn't going to be away for ever, and although it was a bit strange at first, and it was a bit daunting going somewhere you know virtually nothing about (certainly during the first 10 weeks anyway), for most people it's a fantastic experience.

You get to meet TONS of great people, you get a freedom, and personal responsibility you've never had before living at home, and I know that throughout the three years I was at college, I grew up immensely.

In the end I suddenly realised I wasn't homesick at all, and although it was nice to go back home in the holidays, I looked forward to getting back there.

There will be times you feel bad, but if you refuse to worry yourself sick about it, I guarantee there'll be many more better ones.

I had barely spent any time away from my home before I packed up and moved all the way across the country. It was really scary when I thought about it, but when I focused on all the great things that were happening to me because of my bold step I was okay :yes:

And I still get a little homesick for all my friends because they are the people that I knew my whole life before moving away, but thankfully there is email and phones :wink:

You'll be fine. I think it's normal to suddenly realize what is about to happen to you and get freaked out. But after a little while you will be in the swing of things at college and loaded under so much homework you won't know what's happening to you!

For a lot of people, it ends up working out just fine for them. But...there are some people who are just not cut out for that type of distance.

I was only about 250 miles or so from home when I went to university...but I was very homesick. I also was not fitting in well with many people. Add that to me being suddenly unsure of my major and being scared about piling up insane amounts of student loans...and I transferred to a community college and changed majors after sticking out the semester. I am still very happy with that decision. :yes:

When I was 18, we had moved elsewhere in the state, so even though I went to community college, it was still an all new environment for me...so that put a bit of a spin on things.

That being said...I do not regret the semester I spent at university. I am glad that I got to experience it and at least see if it was for me or not. I had fun and got As in all of my courses...but I decided that saving money and living at home would suit me better.

Good luck with your adventure. :hug: I hope everything works out. Just remember that if it doesn't...there ARE other options. :yes:

Completely understandable that you are feeling nervous you are leaving familiar surroundings. But this could be one of the best experiences of your life too :yes: Just go in with a positive attitude and don't worry about impressing people so they will be friends with you. And if it doesn't work out and you find that you are not comfortable with your situation and surroundings. Than there is absolutely nothing wrong at all with admitting that.

Good luck and have fun :hug: Btw which college are you going to?

Just remember that everyone else is in the exact same situation as you are. Most people are showing up not knowing anyone, living really far away from home and unsure of what the next few years will bring.
On being away from home, I'll be honest, it'll be really hard at first, in fact it just may suck. Well, at least for the first bit. But once you develop a group of friends and a normal routine of sort things won't feel as weird, and you may find that you start loving this new experience and independence. Also remember, we live in an age where moving away isn't as big of a deal as it used to be. We have the luxury of telephones, internet, web cams, and really easy and descently priced air flights.

You will have a great time. There is a reason that lots of people move away for college. If it sucked, no one would do it! :D

Good Luck with everything!

BonosBaby12, I'm going to Haverford College. It's a small liberal arts college just out of Philly (just thought I'd clarify since I've only met a few people who have ever heard of it).

Thanks guys... My mom left a note for me this morning saying "Start making packing piles, we're shipping this weekend." Eek! I'm going to seriously overpack, I know, but that's what all freshmen get to do, right?

(Uh, PS. So I have that nice "Bono is Macphisto" poster and I'm looking for an appropriate Fly poster to go along with it. Anyone know of one?)

livviebway said:

Thanks guys... My mom left a note for me this morning saying "Start making packing piles, we're shipping this weekend." Eek! I'm going to seriously overpack, I know, but that's what all freshmen get to do, right?

I was horrible because not only was the Suburban crammed full of all of my stuff when I moved into the dorms, but every time I went home for a visit, I'd bring back tons more stuff with me. By the time my folks came up to help me clear out my dorm room, Dad had to do some clever loading to get everything to fit in the Suburban! :lol: Good thing we sold my minifridge to one of my friends, because I don't think we could have squeezed it in. :laugh:

I had the same thoughts about this time last year, but now that I'm getting ready to go back for my 2nd year...I absolutely cannot wait to go back. It's absolutely NOTHING like high school. The petty drama isn't there, people don't care what clothes you wear, nobody cares what "group" you were in in high school. You'll have a great time, I know it!

I may be in the same situation a year from now, so I wish you the best of luck.

When it comes to friends, the internet and cell phones make things much easier.

I doubt that you'll be in a situation where no one likes you, especially if you go with a positive, outgoing attitude (cheesy as that sounds). Think of it this way: whatever friends you have now you made somehow, so you can obviously make more friends.

You'll probably be homesick at first, but you'll get in the swing of things and hopefully be ultimately happy with your decision. If not, you can always transfer somewhere closer to home.

This is what I've been telling myself anyway... let me know how things go :)

Congrats! Haverford is supposed to be a pretty good school and Philadelphia is an awesome city!

As Shaynar said, everyone will be in the same situation so just embrace it, put yourself out there and everything will fall into place. Even if you feel uncomfortable at first, just sit down with random people at the dining hall(hey is this seat taken?), walk into random rooms to say what's up, self-invite yourself places the first couple weeks.

You will find your place and group.

Good luck and have fun.

I'm going to University in a few weeks as well, and all these new things keep coming at me as well...

But don't worry, livviebway, I am sure you will be okay. In the beginning everybody feels the same way as you, and I'm sure you will find at least some people to talk to, and they might even become your friends!!

Just do like jammin909 says, just try to make talk to different people, ask them how they're doing, where they come from, etc...

You'll be alright :hug:

I'm feeling better now that the daunting task of clearing out my room has turned out to be less daunting than expected due to the fact I really don't have as many clothes as I thought. I am the anti-teenage girl, evidently.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone! AND I met at least one more hardcore U2 fan at my school. We're having a Zoo TV party when it comes out on dvd. :D

I'm in the same boat as you, though I'm not moving across the country. We'll see how things work out. I'm looking forward to digging into my major (audio production) though I'm not really relishing in the fact that I have to take Physics too. :barf: Calculus II should be fun though.

And, my biggest request is that I meet another hardcore U2 fan as well. I'll need someone to share all this with. You should be very lucky you met someone already!

Lancemc said:
I'm in the same boat as you, though I'm not moving across the country. We'll see how things work out. I'm looking forward to digging into my major (audio production) though I'm not really relishing in the fact that I have to take Physics too. :barf: Calculus II should be fun though.

oh yeah, you're majoring in audio production too, we're like the same person or something :drool: (well, if I'm lucky...) you have to take Physics for yours? sucks :wink:

livviebway - that's awesome. I've met no hardcore U2 fans in my high school, I hope I meet one in college...

Well, I have to take Physics as part of my "General Education" credits. Also includes art and social science type classes I'll have to take down the road.

Back
Top Bottom