Girlfriend Broke My Heart

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZooMacPhisto800

War Child
Hi,

I don't know if this is the right forum, but it's 11.30 PM on a Saturday night and I don't know who else to turn to... My girlfriend and I broke up 6 months ago. It's been 6 months and all I do is listen to sad songs and go for walks and smoke a lot of cigarettes. I just can't let go of this person, it's impossible.

Don't worry things will get better. You have to stop listening to sad songs because that is not going to help. If you like going for walks try going to the gym that will relieve some stress. Listen to upbeat music while you are working out. Hey you might even meet someone new there. :)

It will get better. :)

Bono's Betty said:
Don't worry things will get better. You have to stop listening to sad songs because that is not going to help. If you like going for walks try going to the gym that will relieve some stress. Listen to upbeat music while you are working out. Hey you might even meet someone new there. :)

It will get better. :)

Thanks... I don't know though... I hit "Refresh" 800 times waiting for someone to reply. I'm afraid to go to the gym because I'm afraid of moving on.

You have to move on. Soon you are going to meet someone wonderful and you will see that all of this heartache was just not worth it. It is a waste of time. No more sad songs. No vomiting either.

6 years althogether. How can you let go of someone? I mean this both ways? We haven't talked very much in the past 6 months, we haven't seen each other. Christmas is coming up.

I dated a girl for 6 years. We lived together for 2. I thought we were getting married. One day it was over. Kaput. Done. She left. I went insane. I drank and smoked alot for almost a year.

Then I met Chelsea. And everything changed. By sheere coincedence, 1 hour afer I told Chelsea I loved her, the ex called in tears and wondered if we'ed ever be getting back together.

I asked Chelsea to marry me last month.

Trust me dude, it gets better. Hearbreak is a bitch but it makes you wiser. All you can do is lean on your friends and realise everything will get better. Everything happens for a reason.

just listen to Stuck In A Moment.. lol "you've got to get yourself together..." sorry man...goodluck!

go listen to mofo and hit the weights.....been there bro keep ur head high ....and w/e u do dont listen to achtung baby :mad:

ZooMacPhisto800 said:
How can you let go of someone? .

Don't be ashamed......... but then again, don't think of it as real love. I believe real love between people, the eternal kind, doesn't end. And while you may have had that for her, she didn't for you, so what that really means is that there is something better......

I mean..... think about it - something better than what you had before. Might not seem possible, but the fact that what you had ended, and yet you still want more....... there's something that can satisfy you out there. Don't forget that.

You can still have feelings for her, which isn't that bad. But you need to move on... you need to be able to let someone else be able to love you, if that's what you want in the future.
But if you want someone to make you feel happy instead of sad, I say get someone new who wants to be with you.

FIRST STEP though..... that's getting tough again. Right now, and I've beenthere, too... right now you're in no shape for anything. SOmeone could whistle a sweetly sad song and that might break you down to tears, if it's really that bad. No matter what, that's not good.

Go to the gym, work out. Get comfortable. get so that you don't need anyone to be happy. I know it might feel like the opposite, but you've gotta do it for yourself, because if you don't get independant again, you'll never fully be able to be in a relationship, in my opinion. You've gotta go through the cleansing cycle. ANd pain, well, that just means you are alive, and more importantly, that you are living.

Life is quite the experience.... but it is DAMN SHORT. So don't get "stuck in a moment" too much.... mourning is okay, but there is a reason guys have been trained to hold back their emotions for centuries.

SOme girls will be sensative to you... but it doesn't matter. Anyone, male or female, needs to get their feet back underneath themselves after a big relationship change. There's nothing wrong with it, either. This is just part of life, part of the process.

Good luck on your road to getting strong and moving on.

:up:

Last edited:
it took me a really long time to get over my ex . . . but dude, it's so refreshing when you do. it's like eating just carrots for a year, then having a Klondike bar or something. it really is shit but once you're out of it. it's that much better.

oh yeah, and when you need to just bitch and complain and get pissed off and rant and all of that, do it here. we'll understand :yes: :rockon:

Last edited:
I once had a friend who dated a girl for 8 years and she cheated on him and dumped him. He was devistated I assure you that, but it was unbelievable. Like a couple months later, my friend found this girl. His whole attitude/life turned around and after 6 months, these two knew they were perfect for each other and got engaged. They are still just head over heals for each other and are married. There is someone out there who will make u forget this girl. Hang in there.

Do you have other friends? If so, spend time with them. Lots of time if possible so you can maybe start thinking about something other than her. It won't happen right away, and honestly, you won't forget about your ex even as things get better since she has been a part of your life for so long. But you might be suprised at how you still can become independent of her. Hang in there pal. :)
Dr. Philk:no:

Thanks for the support. In my "defence" the thread started out as a quasi-joke as a sort-of healing tactic while I was drinking some beers with a bud. But, your words have been helpful and appreciated. I haven't vented to anyone for 6 months, I've kept it all inside. We haven't talked, seen in each other... we've only spoken via Messenger. I don't know how that can be the basis for an educated decision on someone's part.

It's funny because I referred my brother to "Stuck in a moment" when it happened to him a couple of years back. But I despise that song. I'd rather sit and listen to "With or without you" in the feotal position in my apartment alone and staring blankly.

I'd just like to see her to have closure. When I see "like" in encompasses both the ideas of possibility and moving on.

The highest highs of life, are not possible without the lowest lows.

Good luck, and it does get better.

^ I think......... that only when you can truly enjoy life on your own, being single (at least more so for a guy), only then should you get into a more serious relationship, because you are strong enough at that point.

If you are, say, at 65% and try to start something new, it's like trying to walk when your leg hasn't healed from being busted up bad. in other words, it's going to be doomed and painful, unless you're damn lucky.

Back
Top Bottom