Getting laid-off SUCKS!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FitzChivalry

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
At the bottom of the ocean, in the deepest sea
A bit down and I just need to gripe for a bit.

I'm a fairly new attorney and I just found out that I'll be losing my job in about a month b/c I work for a small, mom-and-pop type firm and, long-story-short, my 2 bosses recently had another attorney, who was co-counsel on a big case, steal their share of the attorney fees and therefore, my firm can no longer afford to pay me because the fees from that case were supposed to fund our firm for this year. Small contingency fee firms can't afford to take hits like that, as opposed to large firms with wealthy clients who bill hourly.

Anyway, I guess I'm just scared because every job I've ever had, I've obtained because I knew someone or had an inside connection. Now, I'm faced with having to go on a bunch of interviews (and I don't particularly interview well) in a hurry because I've only got 6 weeks of pay left.

I just found this all out last Thursday. Aside from literally wanting to commit legal MAYHEM on the attorney who stole my bosses money, I'm just in a crap mood. I went to my friends' wedding reception this past weekend, and that made me happy for the weekend, but now being back here at work on Monday at a place I know I won't be in a month . . . my heart just soooooo isn't into this job anymore!

Anyway, just feeling kind of down today. I'm sure it will get better and everything will work out for the best. But for now this whole situation, and that horrible, lying co-counsel attorney, REALLY SUCKS!

I've been there. Many people I know have been there recently, as well. You're never really prepared for it and I know I was sort of shell shocked by it. It took me a while to get over that blue feeling, but it did go away. Trying to look on the bright side here, at least you have some warning, even if it is only 6 weeks, and you do have some experience behind you, so it's not like you're totally starting at the bottom, but having just finished the interview blitz thing myself, I know it sucks bunches.

I've worked for this firm since 11/03. We do personal injury. First I clerked here, then I got sworn in March '05, got "officially" hired and began practicing.

I'm single and unattached right now, so I think I might want a job that would require a lot of travel across the U.S. No reason not to, since it's just me. But I have to figure out if I want to stay in P.I. or move on to something else.

That does suck, FC. :(

I've been there, done that (not the same circumstances though) and it is tough. But try to use it as a way to do something you might not normally do if you still had that job. It might work out really well for you.

I hope so anyway. Good luck!

FitzChivalry said:
I've worked for this firm since 11/03. We do personal injury. First I clerked here, then I got sworn in March '05, got "officially" hired and began practicing.

I'm single and unattached right now, so I think I might want a job that would require a lot of travel across the U.S. No reason not to, since it's just me. But I have to figure out if I want to stay in P.I. or move on to something else.

Move on to something else...:lol:

Actually, I am an defense investigator here in the OC and I work for a number of OC, LA and San Diego carriers...we may have met since I know of a couple very "active" Tustin-based law firms...:scoundrels: JK

Good luck with your change of venue... :)

FitzChivalry said:

You've given yourself the most options possible. OC is very competative and draws interest from a number of places.

Do you want to stay in private practice? Ever consider in-house work? Having gone through a job search recently, I have a few sources that may be of help. Email me at nbcrusader @ gmail . com

Working for a mom-and-pop type business can be kind of scary, because of money. My last job was for a mom-and-pop business that was struggling to break even, let alone profit. There were days I'd show up to work to find that there was no internet...or no electricity at all...because bills hadn't been paid. Then it turns out our rent wasn't getting paid...which left the other office woman and I fearing that we'd show up for work one day, and our keys wouldn't open the door. All of this made me very nervous, so I had begun to discreetly seek employment elsewhere. Then I was informed one day that my position was being eliminated. They said the loved me, and I did great work...but they just plain and simple couldn't afford to have me around anymore. I was devastated...but then a few days later, a place I had interviewed with called and offered me a job!!!!!! :happy: I took that job, and it is the best job I have ever had. I absolutely love it. :love:

Perhaps this will be a blessing in disguise for you...a chance for you to move on to bigger and better things.

I know how hard it can be though. :( But keep your chin up and stay positive. I wish you all the best.

Last edited:
Getting laid off sucks, but in the right situation it can be a wonderful thing. I'd love to get laid off from my job - I'm going back to school in the fall and would love to get paid for it. :wink:

If I were you, I'd be job searching all day at the current job and just not doing anything productive for them at least.

Im sorry to hear about what happened Fitz. Maybe what you are going through is for the best. Could possibly lead you to a much better career opportunity. Good luck hope everything works out for you.

Yup I agree, getting laid off does suck. But things happen for reasons. Chin up....a big break will come about and you'll be on to bigger and better things, like maybe partner in a huge firm somewhere! :wink:

Thank you all so much for all your kind words and encouragement. Most of you only know me from a few posts here and there, yet you have been so supportive and understanding. That means a lot to me.

I know I'll find something. It's just a matter of time. And it will probably be a change for the better.

So on with the job hunt!

Thank you.

I GOT A JOB! FINALLY!

Thank, God! I was getting SOOOOOOO bored being unemployed!!! I don't see how people can just want to stay home and live off Unemployment benefits. It is SO damn boring!

I was actually unemployed for exactly one month . . . and that was more than enough.

This job is not my dream job, but it's decent, the people are nice and it pays a bit more than my last job. Plus, they're just throwing me straight into the mix. Yesterday, I went an argued a Motion for Summary Judgment and today I went on an arraignment (which I've never done before). So it's cool.

I already have my computer set up, with my background screen set with a picture of the original The Joshua Tree cover. I look at it all the time. I LOVE that photograph!!!!

Anyway, I want to thank everyone who offered me kind words, support and encouragement when I was really down. You are all such cool people; don't even really know me and were just there for support.

Thank you so much!

And now . . . back to work! :wave:

Back
Top Bottom