Getting a colonoscopy done on Wednesday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

onebloodonelife

Blue Crack Addict
I know, a little too much information, but since I :heart: everyone here, I thought you all should know. I've been having abdominal pain for months now, went to my pediatrician (I'm 16) and he put me on Prevacid and said that I have acid reflux, which I do, but the pain didn't stop, so I went to see a GI doctor and he did some blood tests...my iron is very low, I'm over double what inflammation should be (normal is .8 and I'm 2.0) and my white blood cell count is a little high. So, my GI thinks that I may have Crohn's disease, which is when the immune system thinks that there is something wrong in the intestines, but there's really not and white blood cells build up there, causing inflammation of the intestines. He decided that a colonoscopy was going to be the best way to find out as of now, so I have one scheduled for Wednesday and must be on a liquid only diet on Monday and Tuesday. Popsicles will be my new best friend. :happy: I'll be sure to let everyone know how it goes in this thread...

I went through the exact samething...I had abdominal pains etc...and was tested for Crohns which it was not...Turned out I had an inflammation in my stomach from too much aspirin/aleve that I was taking for my headaches amongst other things that I won't get into here but the actual test is easier then the prep, you'll be fine :) Hopefully you're doing it first thing in the morning which I didn't :|

I had one also. late in the afternoon. bad idea. I got completely knocked out so coming around after was quite fun. :)

Good luck! I'll be praying you don't have Crohn's disease :( Hopefully it's something treatable and cureable.

When he said you have "acid reflux," did they actually physically check the acid level in your stomach? I say this, because the same exact symptoms attributed to "acid reflux" can also be symptoms of low stomach acid. As such, drugs like Prevacid are useless and don't work--and, in fact, will aggravate the symptoms. Low iron (anemia) is often a tell-tale sign of low stomach acid.

Melon

I have Crohn's disease myself for over 20 years. Right now I am doing well, and I'm on medication to help it. Like others have said on this thread it could be something else, like IBS.I hope that your test go well, and I'll be thinking about you on Wednesday.

I had very similar problems a few years ago - I was convinced I had Chron's since it runs in my family. It was stress - I changed jobs and it went away. Went through all those fun tests too. :reject:

I was tested years ago for Crohns and it was negative, turned out to be IBS so I am careful what I eat and take medication when needed. I hope your test goes well and the prognosis is positive. :hug:

I've had that test done a few times.
It is a serious procedure, but try not to get to worried about it. Its becoming more and more common.
I always try to see if I can stay awake and watch it on the tv (I alwasy crash after about 20 seconds :lol: )
The night before, when they give you the crap to drink......make sure you use a straw :yes: makes it go down a whole lot easier and you don't have to really taste it that way.

Good Luck :hug:

Good luck with the testing!

My brother is 35 and has been living with Crohns since he was about 13. He does ok with it. The treatments for it now are so much better than what it was 20 years ago. He had surgery about 5 years ago to remove a small part of his intestine that would not open up with meds. It made it very hard for him to eat anything. For the last few years has been on remicade. He's always been very skinny and never able to eat much or gain any weight. Since he went on remicade he's been able to eat more like the rest of us and his dr has now recommended that he lose some weight because he's starting to look chunky! I hope you don't find out that you do have it but should you be diagnosed, there's so much more info and treatments on it now than when my brother found out.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts! I started the liquid only diet :down: so I'll be starving for the next day and a half.

I had it done two years ago...the stuff tastes like crap but the meds they give you to knock out! Wow! I actually lost 24 hours...Char said I was talking La-la land...

By the way, I was 52 and I was negative for any disease or malady....you'll be just fine..and ps....you're asleep for 95% of it....the other 5%, you just wake up and they knock you out again!!! :lol:

The first thing I thought of is celiac disease which is one of the most commonly misdiagnosed diseases, often misdiagnosed as Crohn's disease or IBS. It's an autoimmune illness related to intolerance of wheat/gluten and is easily regulated by diet. Many doctors don't even know what it is yet I have several friends who were finally correctly diagnosed and treated by naturopathic physicians. Good luck!
:hug:

I'm back from the doctor and since my terminal ilium (small intestine) was extremely inflammed, he's diagnosing it as Crohn's. We have to wait for the biopsies to get a definite diagnosis, but I'm on Prednisone to reduce inflammation and hopefully I'll be on medications to put me in remission soon. It's really not that bad, I just wanted to know what was wrong, and now I know, so I'm okay with it.

P.S. If anyone wants to see pics, I've got them and can scan them in a couple days...:yuck:

Onebloodonelife, and I'm so pleased that you are ok with the diagnosis as Crohn's disease. I was off and on Prednisone which helped me. There are other medications out there also that helps. Like I told you I have had it over 20 years, and right now I am doing ok. Anemia is a big problem with me, because I can't take iron pills for I can not tolerate it. It makes me very ill. I try to eat foods that are high in iron. Hope that you will be feeling well very soon. :hug:

My mother just had her colonoscopy a few weeks ago. Talking to her is confusing so I'm not sure I understand.

She said they don't like what they found but they can't redo the test for several months. Until then they are doing more bloodwork etc.

If it was cancer or something else very serious would they make her wait another 6 months? wouldn't they know already based on the polyps removed?

Oneblood I'm glad you got through it fine and I hope you'll be feeling more normal soon :hug:

redkat said:
My mother just had her colonoscopy a few weeks ago. Talking to her is confusing so I'm not sure I understand.

She said they don't like what they found but they can't redo the test for several months. Until then they are doing more bloodwork etc.

If it was cancer or something else very serious would they make her wait another 6 months? wouldn't they know already based on the polyps removed?

Oneblood I'm glad you got through it fine and I hope you'll be feeling more normal soon :hug:

Bloodwork and biopsies would give information. I would think that if it was something life threatening or required immediate attention, that they would find a way to get her in much sooner. They wouldnt wait several months if that were the case.

onebloodonelife said:
I'm back from the doctor and since my terminal ilium (small intestine) was extremely inflammed, he's diagnosing it as Crohn's. We have to wait for the biopsies to get a definite diagnosis, but I'm on Prednisone to reduce inflammation and hopefully I'll be on medications to put me in remission soon. It's really not that bad, I just wanted to know what was wrong, and now I know, so I'm okay with it.

P.S. If anyone wants to see pics, I've got them and can scan them in a couple days...:yuck:

Glad to hear you are ok with the Dx, no pics please, but here is a :hug:

Thanks everyone! :hug: for all! Are you sure that you don't want to see pics though? :lol:

Back
Top Bottom