for the first time ever

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MissVelvetDress_75

Blue Crack Addict
basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized b
I did not make it to Ash Wednesday service. I am not really following my Catholic obligations at all during Lent. I feel like I would be hypocritical if I did. I decided to put my cross around my neck the other day, only because I felt naked without a necklace on (which I have not worn in months).

I think my faith has slipped away from me.

same here. I forgot it was even lent and just a year ago I was at mass every sunday :huh:

I only remembered it was ash wed when I turned on the stephen colbert show

In all honesty I could have gone to the early morning mass, but I couldn't be bothered. :tsk:

My mother has been trying to get me to go to mass and told me last night that I should go to mass on Sunday to hear the new priest (because he is a former classmate of my older brother). I told her that is a nice thought but I doubt I will make it to a mass. :|

I've been to my church maybe 10 times in the past 4 years. Our Rev, who I really respected, took a job at the seminary. Since then I haven't had much desire to go back to church. All the old farts are putting up a huge stink about the two most qualified and elligible candidates - both women. :rolleyes:

i haven't been to church on ash wednesday in years, mainly because of work.
also because ash wednesday is not a holy day of obligation.

Re: Re: for the first time ever

nbcrusader said:

Do you feel a separation from God or from the practice of religion?

Same here. For me, it's more the practice of religion - all the church politics, the idea of man-made rules about how you should be (hair, clothes, music you listen to, etc.) to fit in at all with the people at the church, and the fact that it takes a huge investment of time and effort to try to see if you can make it in one particular church.

Re: Re: Re: for the first time ever

SunBloc said:
the fact that it takes a huge investment of time and effort to try to see if you can make it in one particular church.

This is why I've been avoiding church. To me, belonging to a church is for the purpose of community and accountibility. Being in college, engaged, and planning to move to another part of the country in less than a year, I'd hate to get really attached because it's inevitable that I'm leaving to start over anyhow.

I have totally lost my faith. I do not believe there is a God. As I have gotten older, I have come to the realization that there is no God. When you die, your existence is over. There is no heaven or hell. There is no after-life. The story about Jesus is a fictional story made up by the early Christians who were considered a cult. That's why the Romans fed them to the lions; they were just another crazy cult that fabricated this story about Jesus. They needed to validate the belief that there is life after death, so they made up this story about Jesus, how he came down to earth and performed these miracles and showed the world that he rose from the death. :rolleyes:
So in conclusion, I don't believe there is a God. Also, what about animals? What happens to animals when they die? Is there an after-life for them? Human beings are no different than animals when it comes to death. When we die, our existence is over. Do you remember what happened 100 years ago or 200 years ago? No. You didn't exist. Same thing happens when you die. Your existence is over.

Okay, my rant is over. Sorry if I offended people, but that's my belief. Plus, I like eating meat on Fridays.

Re: Re: for the first time ever

nbcrusader said:

Do you feel a separation from God or from the practice of religion?

I would say I feel a separation from organized religion in general. My personal beliefs in a higher being and what I think is right or wrong contradicts with what is being preached to the masses in the church.

joerags said:
The story about Jesus is a fictional story made up by the early Christians who were considered a cult.

I don't agree with your beliefs, but that's your right. However, this statement is not true. There are other historical sources that refer to Jesus and his death outside of a religious agenda.

After reading the original post again, I have a question, either for Iris or Catholics in general: what is meant by Lent "obligations"? Are they really referred to as "obligations", or is that just what it feels like?

Well, for what it's worth, Ash Wednesday is not a holy day of obligation, so you're perfectly free to skip it without guilt.

As for Lenten obligations, tradition states that you give up something for 40 days (although, technically, you are permitted to do/eat whatever you gave up on Sundays, according to church law regarding Lent). However, as of the last decade or so, the Vatican has started to emphasize that the Lenten obligation should be more about doing something additional, rather than merely giving something up. An example, perhaps, would be adding regular volunteer work during Lent, and that would satisfy the obligation as an alternative to giving something up.

Melon

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

After reading the original post again, I have a question, either for Iris or Catholics in general: what is meant by Lent "obligations"? Are they really referred to as "obligations", or is that just what it feels like?

holy days of obligation are certain days other than sundays when catholics are required to attend mass.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Day_of_Obligation
* The Immaculate Conception (December 8)
* Christmas (Feast of the Nativity of Our Lord) (December 25)
* St. Mary, the Mother of God formerly the Feast of the Circumcision of Christ (January 1)
* Epiphany (January 6)
* St. Joseph (March 19)
* St. Peter and St. Paul (June 29)
* The Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary (August 15)
* All Saints (November 1)
* The Ascension of Our Lord (39 days after Easter; 40th day of Eastertide)
* Corpus Christi (60 days after Easter)

as far as 'lent obligations' i think you're referring to when we catholics give up something for lent, or do something extra, and don't eat meat on fridays during lent. i don't recall them being actually called lent obligations...but i guess i'm not that good of a catholic either lol (i had to google it :reject: )

Re: Re: Re: for the first time ever

SunBloc said:

Same here. For me, it's more the practice of religion - all the church politics, the idea of man-made rules about how you should be (hair, clothes, music you listen to, etc.) to fit in at all with the people at the church...

I have not attended church in over a year for these very reasons. I grew up Catholic, but then started to question all the traditions involved. I started attending a non-denom church, and felt more comfortable. It was not long before I dreaded attending service even there. The pastor tried to hold me accountable to attending service, but he only made me feel condemned. I've tried to appreciate organized religion and decide on a church to attend, but it isn't easy when you have extreme anti-Catholic and Protestant arguments being fed to you. I work at a coffee shop with a significantly religious clientele. The "I've got it all figured out" attitude of many of the people I've come across has turned me off a bit.

Iris, I feel the same way too. Every year I've given up something and I've gone to mass. This year I tried and I failed. I don't even feel motivated to start over again. This is definitely a first for me too.

I also missed mass during Ash Wednesday and I don't know how I feel to be honest. I still believe in God, but I think the problem is that I don't have a parish to call my own. Maybe if I did....? :confused:

:hug:

I believe in and love God, but I do not like the catholic church or organize religion at all. They suck out everything that is good about God.

U2STEVE70 said:
I believe in and love God, but I do not like the catholic church or organize religion at all. They suck out everything that is good about God.

it makes me sad, but i think there is a lot of truth to what you say

I was on the verge of dropping out of the Catholic Church altogether about a year ago. One Sunday the priest started preaching about how wrong-headed feminism is and how women shouldn't try to be like men, etc, etc. and I was tempted to just walk right out of the homily. It wasn't the first time this particular priest had said something that made me want to walk out in the middle of a homily, but this was the last straw.

Fortunately, there's another Catholic parish in town where the priest actually doesn't seem to be living in the Dark Ages, so I've started going there instead. I still wonder if I'm doing the right thing, because I seem to be questioning church doctorine all the time. I guess I've never really agreed with a lot of things about the church, such as women not being allowed to be priests and birth control not being allowed even for married couples, but for so many years I always managed to gloss over it in my head and not think about it much. I do realize I could leave, but being Catholic is a big part of my identity and I find it hard to let go.

Sometimes I wish my parents hadn't raised me in any particular religion so I could choose for myself when I got older and not have all this mental and emotional baggage.

Last edited:
MissVelvetDress_75 said:
If I were a good Catholic ,I could tell you. :lol:

To me lent has always been about giving something up because I was expected to. There have been years that I have felt a deeper meaning to it. Maybe this is why I am conflicted, because I don't have the deeper feeling right now.

I totally understand.Same here. I dont attend mass on Sunday, just dont have that feeling. I feel exhausted at the end of the week and just want to have some time for myself. (mostly listening to music). The thing is...ithere have been years for me too when i felt like i am receiving strength for life on the Sunday mass.
And i dont think about God any more, dont talk to the God , and dont pray. And feel empty to tell the truth.(although i dont blame God for that)

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
I think my faith has slipped away from me.

Really? I´m a good Catholic still I only go to church when I feel the need.

There are so many ways to practise your belief. I don´t think how often you go to church necessarily influences the strength of your faith.

Three days ago, I was in a church to meet a very wise priest - in fact, one of the great priests of our time. I will have to write him.

Back
Top Bottom