Feeling miserable

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Girl1978

Blue Crack Addict
I don't know what it is lately. I feel as though I am going through some sort of phase where I feel like I'm missing something in my life. I have 2 great jobs, I go to school part time, great family, yada yada yada. Why am I not happy? I used to have so much fun but now it feels like I'm going in slow motion. I don't know if it's the weather that is making me hibernate or what but I want to feel happy again! After awhile I got fed up with dating the wrong guys. I'm single and I just don't like it. I'm 26 years old and I feel like I haven't accomplished anything. It's a really crappy feeling I'm having here. Is it some sort of crisis that I'm having? Is anyone else feeling like they are going nowhere in life? Please, can anyone help me out here?

I understand how you feel, we all get sucked into those "blue funks" once in a while. Maybe you should take a day or so or however long and just go into a self-actualization thing (is that even the right phrase to use?)? Like, go sit somewhere you feel most calm and just think about the things that's going on and maybe you can pinpoint or see where your funk is coming from. :hug:

I hope that helps... I just came sorta out of one (which I blame on weather and school, perhaps not particularly in that order), and I wouldn't know anyone who likes that feeling. :|

I just saw that you'll be seeing U2 in 55 days-- perhaps the anticipation of seeing them would lift your spirits. ^_^

Last edited:
Maybe... :) People have said when they see U2 it's like a spiritual awakening.

Maybe I just need a vacation which I am getting in May.

I just don't want to feel like I'm coasting through life.... I don't know. I have a really great job.. It could possibly be that I'm doing too much... :sigh:

U2Girl1978 said:
I don't know what it is lately. I feel as though I am going through some sort of phase where I feel like I'm missing something in my life. I have 2 great jobs, I go to school part time, great family, yada yada yada. Why am I not happy? I used to have so much fun but now it feels like I'm going in slow motion. I don't know if it's the weather that is making me hibernate or what but I want to feel happy again! After awhile I got fed up with dating the wrong guys. I'm single and I just don't like it. I'm 26 years old and I feel like I haven't accomplished anything. It's a really crappy feeling I'm having here. Is it some sort of crisis that I'm having? Is anyone else feeling like they are going nowhere in life? Please, can anyone help me out here?

I get these exact same feelings a LOT during the winter. I live in Michigan so it's freezing and snowy October through the end of March. Honestly for me the weather is a big part of it. I LOVE doing things outdoors like biking, fishing, hiking, going to the beach, and even just walking over to my grandma's house w/ some good tunes on. I can't do any of the things I really enjoy during the winter. Plus we average about two sunny days per month during the winter season. Last spring this feeling of melancholy and going through the motions seemed to last forever so I decided I needed to distract myself with something "new". When I moved into my current house, I got two cats to help occupy my mind. You could maybe pick up an old hobby, or try something new that's always interested you. I also went on the pill which has really helped w/ my mood swings.

lauren430 said:
:hug:

Can you take a short trip to get away?

That's the thing...I started my new job in February so I was really lucky that I was able to take May off and go to Chicago for the week.

I really do think it's the weather. Sometimes I let things bother me wayyyyy too much.

that is so true

i was once in a bar and some girl came up to me and said she was having a kissing contest with a friend to see who could kiss more guys that night, and asked if she could kiss me

what guy would say no to that?

yet if a guy tried that same stunt you know how many slaps to the face and kicks to the groin he would get?

ridiculous i tell ya

Last edited:
Well....you could always try Chizip's method....:wink:

Personally, I seem to hear that you're saying that you feel that you are coasting through life and have all you need but that you don't feel like you've made an impact. Perhaps maybe volunteering your time with someone who would vaule it would be good for you. Pick an NGO, charity or other group that does work for something you feel is worthwhile. I have volunteered at a program in my community that works with local AIDs patients and have done what I can to help with the global AIDs situation though letter writing or whatnot--and that time spent is very satisfying to me. I didn't start doing all this stuff until after my first U2 concert...it had that much of a life changing impact on me--maybe this tour is your turn. :hug:

I'm always here if you want to talk, k? I mean that.

I tend to blame how i feel on the weather too much...i know what i need to do but most of the time i dont feel like doin it.

I think when we get like this we should step out of our comfort zones...
do something nice for someone else...go to churuch with a friend? ( thats a good one)
I just had a little spat with my teenage son and he seems very unaffected by it all....and it just drives me to tears...
I came home in such a good mood too ..im always happy to see him and really try and find out how his day was...and he just acts real quiet...getting himself something to eat...and just acting as if he wishes i would just fuck off....

sorry for going off topic..,,,,,its just been one of those days

starsgoblue said:
Well....you could always try Chizip's method....:wink:

Personally, I seem to hear that you're saying that you feel that you are coasting through life and have all you need but that you don't feel like you've made an impact. Perhaps maybe volunteering your time with someone who would vaule it would be good for you. Pick an NGO, charity or other group that does work for something you feel is worthwhile. I have volunteered at a program in my community that works with local AIDs patients and have done what I can to help with the global AIDs situation though letter writing or whatnot--and that time spent is very satisfying to me. I didn't start doing all this stuff until after my first U2 concert...it had that much of a life changing impact on me--maybe this tour is your turn. :hug:

I'm always here if you want to talk, k? I mean that.

:hug: Stars :)

You are a really nice person!

Chizip if you'd like to commence the licking that would be great. :lol:

;)

Sometimes what works best for me is a good distraction

I focus too much on what is infront of me, and sometimes I am lucky enough to have someone or something come up and change my current train of thought or state of being.

Sometimes you also need to be reminded of how great you are, and not just that you may have a great job, or family or anything else.

Happiness doesn't come from possesion. Nor does it come from anything external.

Essentially it comes from the inside and resonates out.

But then again..... :)

....Most good things are like that.....

:hmm:

:sexywink:

I hope you start feeling better about things, u2girl. Dont worry, in May we'll all meet up in Chicago and have the time of our lives...it's good to get away sometimes.

Yep right now I feel that and I turned 29 at Chrimbo.

Ive become quite low and stopped eating right.....and stuff......no outlet except to cry.....that sounds so fooked up I know, cause its like some of you prob thought I was doing better by now but Im actually doing worse.

I think I just totally regret joining a 'club' just over a year ago here..........I really do.....if I could turn back time I would have bypassed it..........and prob been a lot happier.

(((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))))))))

mad1 said:
Yep right now I feel that and I turned 29 at Chrimbo.

Ive become quite low and stopped eating right.....and stuff......no outlet except to cry.....that sounds so fooked up I know, cause its like some of you prob thought I was doing better by now but Im actually doing worse.

I think I just totally regret joining a 'club' just over a year ago here..........I really do.....if I could turn back time I would have bypassed it..........and prob been a lot happier.

(((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))))))))

Maddie! :wave:

what kinda club?
try to relax

:hug:

& drop me a mail! :)

First of all, I'm 26 as well (1978 totally rocked).

I've read a bit about the "quarter life crisis" phenomenon. The term has been used for a while, more as a joke, but it's thought of as very serious and common now. Basically, we all know of the famous mid life crisis where you wake up at 40 and freak out because you don't know what you've done with your life, don't feel like you've achieved anything, and think it's all downhill from there. Well, it's believed that same feeling is now incredibly common among the late 20's.

In part it's because our lives are far more cluttered than the generation before, and move far faster, giving us a feeling of always being behind. There's still the ever increasing pressure to achieve, and more importantly the internal pressure to 'be happy'.

Mix that with the fact that what are traditionaly the things that are signs of success and happiness for our age group are now things that occur later in life for our generation, as opposed to our parents generation (marriage, kids, home ownership etc in our 30's vs our parents generation in their 20's), or are things that have kinda changed, for example career wise the environment we work in, the people we work with, and what it is we are doing in a deeper sense all mean far more now than just simply where we are on the ladder and how much it pays.

All this is leaving us feeling unnaturaly hollow. What used to be a simple equation is now quite complicated, and doesn't have easy, traditional answers, eg "I'm not happy because all my friends are married and I'm not". Chances are very, very few of your friends are. Or "I'm not happy because my career is not going well". Maybe it is going great, maybe you are earning great money, get promoted regularly, are succeeding in the path of your choice within a great, big company, but it's hollow, it doesn't mean anything to you.

What starsgoblue suggested is actually on the money. I think it's all about finding a new way to satisfy the soul, as it's something we all dearly need. Three things are apparently on a massive increase within our age group; volunteering, travelling, and what I'd describe as 'spiritual searching' (as opposed to just 'religion').

Everyone has their own specific problems or issues at any one time in their lives, and of course they can easily be enough to drag everything else down, but always remember to put yourself first and make sure the first thing you satisfy is your own soul. So, do try and get away, just a change of environment, one where you feel you've either been able to really relax or you've taken in something new. Give something back, it will reward you greatly, and make what you do in your average day to day feel far less meaningless. Consider friendships and relationships as a time out from everything else.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom