Fall/Winter depresses me to no end. Advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Danospano

Refugee
I've realized in the past few years that this period of the calendar always makes me feel sad. Sure, it's probably because I never get enough sun or perhaps it's because it reminds me of death, but I can't let the seasons get the best of me.

Does anyone have advice for this weak spirit?

I've consider a few things that could bring happiness to my life for the next 5-7 months. They include,

1) U2's new album.
2) A John Kerry victory over Bush.
3) A new life
4) A new job.
5) Success with my finances.
6) A 5-7 month trip to Fiji

heh

Anyone want to help me focus on the 'good' things about fall and winter?

Theres such a thing as a special light bulb that replaces a standard light bulb that assists people with Seasonally Adjusted Disorder (SAD). It might be worth investigating purchasing one.

I dont know how much they cost, or how effective they are, its not really an issue in Australia. Somebody English might know. :shrug:

7) Baseball playoffs (if the Red Sox win it all...or even if they just beat the Yankees). Too bad the Cubbies didn't make it. :(

People talk about this a lot in the expat groups I'm in since Britain gets less sun than most parts of the US. I've heard a lot of good things about the light boxes beli mentioned. It might be worth looking into. Some of them are incredibly expensive, but these aren't too much: http://www.sadlight.com/aj-main-light-boxes.htm and you can probably find cheap ones on Ebay. Search for SAD light or light box or dawn simulator.

I have the same problem, I HATE any weather pattern less than 65 degrees and I live in fucking Michigan. :no: My solution = keeping my mouth shut for two more years and moving my arse down to Florida.

Yeah, those lightbulbs could be a terrific idea; if they're affordable. I would say that lack of sunlight and warm (70 degrees or higher) are the main culprits in this issue.

As for moving to Vegas or Florida or anywhere where it's generally warmer year-round: I've heard nothing good about 'living' in the Las Vegas area. It's dirty, a dead-end, a ghost world. At least that's what my ex-girlfriend always said...then again she lied alot ;). Florida: too humid and then there's this increasing odd of getting hit by a hurricane. Of course, that seasonal occurance is coming to an temporary end, but still.

I'm already feeling a bit happier than I was before, and guess why? It turns out there's still a few warm days left on my calendar. I just walked outside and it's a heavenly 71 degrees!!!!! YAY!!!!

Why the heck does everyone wanna move to Florida? Everyone knows that Southern Cali is better :tongue: I think every Interferencer should come here during the winter heh heh

Last edited:
Danospano said:

I've consider a few things that could bring happiness to my life for the next 5-7 months. They include,

1) U2's new album.
2) A John Kerry victory over Bush.
3) A new life
4) A new job.
5) Success with my finances.
6) A 5-7 month trip to Fiji

:sigh: I know how you feel. Winter makes me miserable.

My list is basically the exact same. Minus the new job I just got a new job in June and I love it. Also minus the trip to Fiji. I'd rather go to Ireland.

Just keep thinking about all the good U2 will be bringing us over the coming months. That's what's going to get me through.

Danospano said:
I've heard nothing good about 'living' in the Las Vegas area. It's dirty, a dead-end, a ghost world.

dirty
dead end
ghost world.

thank you very much.

i hope your depression eats you alive.

I grew up in the Mediterranean where it's sunny, SUNNY all year long and now I live in Canada. So yeah, I'm feeling your pain right about now.

Essentially I hibernate in winter. A couple of skiing trips maybe, but that's about it. I hate being cold, I hate the feeling of your toes freezing, the bottoms of your jeans are wet, your ears are burning with frostbite and your nose is running like a Roman fountain.

No thanks.

Watch a lot of TV!

For the record, I love Las Vegas, but have never lived there. My ex-girlfriend lived there for almost 10 years and hated it. That's what I was basing the opinon on, and I know I mentioned that. Don't worry, I'm sure it a nice place :)

I'm sitting here in Tulsa and I realized something else that makes me sad. Sad for a weird reason, but sad nevertheless. Romantic, ominous ballads from the 1980's make me depressed. Almost like a bittersweet movie, they make me long for better times while at the same time moving me in a romantic direction. Think of "Total Eclipse of the Heart", "In the Air Tonight", "Broken Wings", "I Want to Know What Love is"... etc etc. Every song reminds me of saddness! Blah...even the non-80's songs are responsible...but not quite as much.

"Please don't talk about love tonight. Please don't talk about sweet loooovveee. I love the nightlife, I love to boogie...at the disco rrrooounndd...oh yeah....."

Good tip. Thanks ;)

I would recommend Florida for the winter, although considering the summer we had with hurricanes, it's not exactly the happiest place on earth right now. Lots of damage throughout the state that will take a long time to repair. The weather is absolutely perfect from December through March.

B vitamins. Lots of them.

I must be some kind of freak of nature because I am the opposite and I don't know anyone else who is. I mean, I get depressed during spring and summer but I love the fall and winter. :shrug:

move to Arizona.

i know it's hot but theres no earthquakes, tornado's, hurricanes, or any other natural disaster out there. Only dust storms but they are not bad, lol.

it's a dry heat compared to the humid south.

Plus...

sunshine year round
beautiful women, heh
when it rains during monsoon season, it only rains for 20-30 min at a time then it quits.

beli said:
Theres such a thing as a special light bulb that replaces a standard light bulb that assists people with Seasonally Adjusted Disorder (SAD). It might be worth investigating purchasing one.

I dont know how much they cost, or how effective they are, its not really an issue in Australia. Somebody English might know. :shrug:
had to rush an answer...hope the thread's vibe doesn't get screwy,
but the special natural light lightbulbs are fab! I buy mine at Target! they're cheapest there, but if I need one badly I just get them at the supermarket. They sell extra fancy long-lasting ones at like linens-n-things for overmybudget (there's trouble!) or slightly less expensive ones at the local hardware store...what a find that was! in 150 watts, which you can't get from massproduced GE "reveal" brand (cute, eh?). but you can't always find them there which is annoying.
target is usually very well stocked and you don't have the k-mart experience of going and never ever ever (you can just about count on it, so why do I *ever* go there dammit?) finding what you're looking for. like, when my baby was needing size 3 pampers, k-mart would have stacks and stacks of every other size and brand in the world and I'd be just standing there, amazed that they had everything in the world, and I felt alone!

edit: november birthdays are so sad...who the fuck feels like celebrating when the light is less and less every day and will be for a whole fucking month or two longer!?
it's a good time for t-giving, though, because that at least is *supposed* to let everyone turn on the lights high and cook. together if possible, but that can be so hard that t-giving is ironically a very depressing time of year too, if you have cooking issues. I'm hearing that pogues song again...i think i have some baggage there...
gotta go get food now or I will waste away...

ah, better now..

light bulbs rock!

Last edited:
joyfulgirl said:

I must be some kind of freak of nature because I am the opposite and I don't know anyone else who is. I mean, I get depressed during spring and summer but I love the fall and winter. :shrug:

I'm the same way. The summer is always the hardest part of the year for me.

I think you guys should be grateful for seasons. I am in SO CA. I love it here. But every day sunny is monotonous! I long for a little rain, a few clouds and snow. I am always nostagic this time of year because I love to see the leaves turn. I am originally from the midwest and fall and winter are seasons that I miss the most.

As for summers, I'll take a California summer anyday over a humin midwest, east coast summer.

Yeah now that i've had my taste of cold weather (I used to live in texas...doesn't get really cold) I really enjoy it cos I get to cuddle up to hubby. :D I do agree that overcast skies are dreary...makes me sad sometimes but then I just remember the summer and splashing in the pool and it makes me long for the summer yet again :)

I always get bummed out when the days start getting shorter too. My mother has a friend who has one of those lamps for SAD. It helps her.

in maine it gets pitch black at around 4 pm in the winter....
the best way is reaquaint (<- sp?)yourself with the elements...
go for a walk in the wind
go sledding in the snow
stand out side in the snow storm and give it the middle finger...

also dont foget to get some excercise- itll help. i know you know im right

there are sights and sounds to be noticed in nature even when all the leaves are gone and stuff...things to be appreciated...

joyfulgirl said:
:yes: i get vitamin b12 shots. very helpful. :up:

also those special bulbs/tanning beds do help. when i used to go tanning in the winter i'd feel a lot better. but now i can't afford either (the bulbs or tanning) so...the b12 shots will have to do.

I suppose that's why I feel miserable too, so I’ve been trying to find a few things I can focus on myself, which is being a lot harder than I thought would. Right now I’m just hoping for U2’s HTDAAB to be released. Can’t think of anything else.:(

I suffer from SAD, and I usually book a trip to Las Vegas right around the time my depression hits. It works.
Start up new hobbies that will keep you motivated. I bought a new snowmachine and I plan to go snowmachining this winter.
Summers in Alaska are mild and short, which sucks. The winters are dark and long and it's hard to keep my head up. But do some special yearly "camping trips" with close friends and make a special event annual during the depression time.
U2's album coming out helps, but it doesn't keep you busy for a long period of time.

Back
Top Bottom